Subscriber
Witches Craig, Blairlogie, Stirling
Blair Castle Camping / Caravan site
John O'Groats camping
Broomfield Camping, Ullapool
Ardtower, Inverness
to name but a few

all should be open by April - avoid Easter and you will get in almost anywhere

Jimmy C (FleetwoodHilton) will be along in a while with some more suggestions, I am sure

any of the lomond woods caravan parks probably run by the nicest site owners around
do anything for you
Balloch, Callander Aberdeen all easy access ,,Fintry has bad access but nice when your in
woodlands caravan park Carnoustie If your a Golfer
Mortonhall edinbugh if you want to do Edinburgh city !!
stonehaven caravan park
The ranch caravan park Maybole Ayrshire
yellow craig caravan park north Berwick
all good for 12 mtrs (y)

We have booked into Ballater Caravan Park, AB35 5QW for the end of September. They say we should have no issues getting in -11.5m.

Regards

Arthur
Arthur
just noticed your heading to Ballater have you given any thought how you are going to get to Ballater
are you heading up the coast road ,,Perth Dundee stonehaven and across to Ballater
or are you thinking of the A93 Perth guildtown blairgowrie bridge of Cally spittle of Glenshee Braemar
i would not take my 12 mtrs up the A93 parts of the road are alright but there are a few parts that are really not that clever although the scenery is much Better going that way but my blood pressure couldnt take it
coast road to Aberdeen is much easier although a bit longer worth the extra on diesel (y)
are you making around trip up here say for a few weeks Rgds Jimmy C

paul&debra

Subscriber
What is the road like from Grantown on spey to Ballater ? We have driven several times up the A9 and then A95 to get to Elgin. Never really had much trouble, but have never tried the small roads from Grantown accross.

I would stay away from the cross country roads between Granton On Spey & Ballater
stick to the A95 and A96 smaller Rv would be ok but anything bigger stick to the main roads
the Cockbridge to Tomintoul is always closed etc etc over the Lecht the ski slopes been over that on a car / motor bike and thats big enough !! down in to aberdeen then the new by pass cuts out all of aberdeen then on to the A93 to ballater
beautiful part of the country along deeside
easier to put a bit extra diesel in than finding new mirrors (y):)

poacher

Subscriber
What is the road like from Grantown on spey to Ballater ? We have driven several times up the A9 and then A95 to get to Elgin. Never really had much trouble, but have never tried the small roads from Grantown accross.
I echo Fleetwood Hilton's thoughts - I would not want to do it with a 'towed' on, too much chance of having to reverse for an oncoming 'idiot' (other nationalities are available !!)

Grantown to Balleter is do'able - but not for the faint hearted, and new mirrors are expensive !!

The hump back bridge at Gairnshiel Lodge is always 'fun' - ferry lift NEEDED - although I have heard that they have recently imposed a weight limit thereon, because our visiting coach drivers (more used to driving on the autobahns / autoroutes / autovias !!) could not adapt to driving on Scottish roads :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Arthur

Subscriber
Arthur
just noticed your heading to Ballater have you given any thought how you are going to get to Ballater
are you heading up the coast road ,,Perth Dundee stonehaven and across to Ballater
or are you thinking of the A93 Perth guildtown blairgowrie bridge of Cally spittle of Glenshee Braemar
i would not take my 12 mtrs up the A93 parts of the road are alright but there are a few parts that are really not that clever although the scenery is much Better going that way but my blood pressure couldnt take it
coast road to Aberdeen is much easier although a bit longer worth the extra on diesel (y)
are you making around trip up here say for a few weeks Rgds Jimmy C

Jimmy

We are still planning up & back at the moment, we will be in Ballater for about a week for a wedding.
I have just used Google maps but will run the journey on the 'Snooper' sat nav, below is the thought we have at the moment.
Rather that going there & straight back we thought we would embark on a Grand Tour.

Jimmy

We are still planning up & back at the moment, we will be in Ballater for about a week for a wedding.
I have just used Google maps but will run the journey on the 'Snooper' sat nav, below is the thought we have at the moment.
Rather that going there & straight back we thought we would embark on a Grand Tour.

View attachment 26424
Arthur
The grand tour sound goodhalf way up the side of Loch lomond is a good road till you get to Tarbert then that bit of the road really is not good till you get north of Ardlui then is good all the way to Tyndrum then left for fort William ,,Poacher willhave done that on a tour coach ask what he thinks !!
i would have thought if your not to bothered about seeing Loch lomond head for stirling callander then Crianlarich ,tyndrum to Fort William spean bridge on to Granton on spey
i nee dto say if you want to take your LHD 12 mtrs over the lecht your must be VERY BRAVE and Confident
this is Scotland uphere we still have single track roads with passing places
like to know what your snooper sat nav suggests
Jimmy

poacher

Subscriber
The hump back bridge at Gairnshiel Lodge is always 'fun' - ferry lift NEEDED - although I have heard that they have recently imposed a weight limit thereon, because our visiting coach drivers (more used to driving on the autobahns / autoroutes / autovias !!) could not adapt to driving on Scottish roads :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
UPDATE
Gairnshiel Bridge has a blanket (all vehicles) 18 tonne weight limit - enforced by signs and, apparently, weighing in motion and cctv
(more details Aberdeen Council)

That rules it out the A939 for the big boys, until they build the new bridge