RV Ride Comfort

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
That ain't making me feel any better!:envy::envy:. My Holiday Rambler was only managing around 9mpg and I currently rejoice if I manage 13mpg. I was expecting to make 18mpg with this RV but, no. I do run fully loaded but I cruise at around 90kph. :(:(
My Concord B Class on an E450 Diesel (300 Hp) chassis genuinely returned early - mid 20's mpg cruising at 50-55 mph. If you are getting so much less mpg then maybe something is wrong and Adi4 should have a look at it ??

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
Well the deed is done! Goodbye to Autotrail Comanche! Hello Four Winds Windsport (next week). Worried a bit now as it looks bloody HUGE.
Congratulations .. and enjoy !! When I first parked the Ace where the Concord parked it looked huge too although they are they same physical length .. you will soon get used to it !!

RV Neal

Subscriber
Well the deed is done! Goodbye to Autotrail Comanche! Hello Four Winds Windsport (next week). Worried a bit now as it looks bloody HUGE.
Well done. You'll soon get used to the size and, when you're mixing it with the real Big Boys, you'll see how small it is really. It's all relative, doncha know!

RV Neal

Subscriber
My Concord B Class on an E450 Diesel (300 Hp) chassis genuinely returned early - mid 20's mpg cruising at 50-55 mph. If you are getting so much less mpg then maybe something is wrong and Adi4 should have a look at it ??
Blimey, now that's fantasy figures. If I could manage just 20mpg I'd be on Cloud Number 9. My E450 is the 325bhp and it's serviced every year. I guess I've got to get down Weymouth way and let Adi breath over it.

Dodgit

Subscriber
This started out as ‘Ride Comfort’ . .

so, in an idle moment, thinking about that, oh yes, riding on air
in the Monaco after the Daybreak diesel puller was luxury . .
. . however when you hit a low manhole, pot hole or expansion
joint it still loosens your fillings.

Has anyone considered a practical way of converting to shock,
or better, air seats ?

just a Sunday ‘idle moment’ . . . 25490

adi4

Subscriber
This started out as ‘Ride Comfort’ . .

so, in an idle moment, thinking about that, oh yes, riding on air
in the Monaco after the Daybreak diesel puller was luxury . .
. . however when you hit a low manhole, pot hole or expansion
joint it still loosens your fillings.

Has anyone considered a practical way of converting to shock,
or better, air seats ?

just a Sunday ‘idle moment’ . . . View attachment 25490
Unfortunately that is a bit of a Monaco trate.......all smooth and then .........bang where did that manhole come from......( or should I say personal access hole :rolleyes: )

The Spartan chassis is the most comfortable to ride on followed very closely by the Freightliner and the Monaco.
But then the later Freightliner chassis have the 60 degree steering lock which is absolutely awesome ....... choices .... choices (y):rolleyes::D

Uncle Tony

Subscriber
The left hand drive makes it easy to cope. Make sure you adjust the mirrors VERY carefully. From your comfortable driving position, you should be able to see the left kerb in your peripheral vision. Allows you to be inch-perfect in your positioning.

Mind you I do have 7 mirrors and 6 cameras !!

jenmelmar

Subscriber
The left hand drive makes it easy to cope. Make sure you adjust the mirrors VERY carefully. From your comfortable driving position, you should be able to see the left kerb in your peripheral vision. Allows you to be inch-perfect in your positioning.

Mind you I do have 7 mirrors and 6 cameras !!
Wow! That sounds interesting. My husband is not happy with the mirrors on our RV-maybe we should get some more added, and a few extra cameras, then my marshalling won't seem so important ;)

jenmelmar

Subscriber
Olley that sounds a really low amount ! We only have done the one trip so far-but from UK through France to Pinoso in S pain we have averaged 18mpg on LPG-but we used mainly toll roads and put on cruise control at about 55/60mph. But our RV is not a huge although we do have it fully loaded to the 8.1 ton with bike on the back.
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this but we have started a 'blog'-like many other people I think, and we are adding to it each week. So the top one is the last edition and the first one (at the bottom) Is Introducing him & her). If anyone reads it-please remember we are totally new to this way of life and never even had a caravan before-so we have found it stressful at times. From reading this forum I know some people have much larger RV's than us and have been all over the place and done marvellous trips-I hope it a few years we will be the same-but this is our impressions at the time of the experience :)
https://hazbeanz.blogspot.com/
so if you do want to read it as a story, work from the bottom up :)
It is great reading other people's trips and experiences and the advice is always very interesting ;)

Olley

Subscriber
Olley that sounds a really low amount ! We only have done the one trip so far-but from UK through France to Pinoso in S pain we have averaged 18mpg on LPG-but we used mainly toll roads and put on cruise control at about 55/60mph. But our RV is not a huge although we do have it fully loaded to the 8.1 ton with bike on the back.
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this but we have started a 'blog'-like many other people I think, and we are adding to it each week. So the top one is the last edition and the first one (at the bottom) Is Introducing him & her). If anyone reads it-please remember we are totally new to this way of life and never even had a caravan before-so we have found it stressful at times. From reading this forum I know some people have much larger RV's than us and have been all over the place and done marvellous trips-I hope it a few years we will be the same-but this is our impressions at the time of the experience :)
https://hazbeanz.blogspot.com/
so if you do want to read it as a story, work from the bottom up :)
It is great reading other people's trips and experiences and the advice is always very interesting ;)
What engine do you have and what weight are you? I ask because you Mpg figures seem to me to be way over the top for an RV, if I can explain.
Lpg has a lower power density than petrol so you will do less on Lpg than on petrol, if you figures were correct that would mean you would be in the low 20's on petrol which is almost unheard of for an RV.

onan

Subscriber
Ride quality is not that simple. Does it include the RV’s behaviour in cross winds? Does a crash down a pothole with an otherwise impeccable ride mean you will not purchase a Monaco with the correct layout for you? Does a 240 lb Texan feel the bumps in the same way that I do at a 150 lbs? Ride quality is just one of many factors when buying an RV.

I’ve owned a couple of Monaco pushers. The first was a four airbag model four damper , the second an eight airbag/damper model. Monaco always stated that each model had a specifically designed chassis for a coach at maximum weight. The Monaco Dynasty has a steel monocoque construction with an improved ride.

Monaco used Munro shocks which have never had a good reputation. In the US they are frequently changed out for Koni or Bilstein. However, there is considerable forum discussion on which is the better and is usually down to personal choice as the Koni’s tend to give a stiffer ride. An older coach will have older airbags/dampers which may affect the ride.

Tyres from different manufactures have different ride characteristics. Tyre pressure adjusted for the load can make a difference in ride quality. When I changed my tyres they were for a higher load rating than the maximum coach weight - it was a better ride.

You must also take into account the wheelbase. A longer wheelbase has a smoother ride. Some chassis have IFS which gives a better ride.

I have found that full tanks of water, fuel and gas give a smoother ride.

The quality of the drivers seat can make a difference - ask any HGV driver.