RV Ride Comfort

adi4

Subscriber
Well, just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons....... I as you know have driven a vast array of RVs from sub £5000 to Empire's £ 200,000 tag Axle Tour's and there are some lower value RVs that drive far better than some top dollar ones .

But as a rule of thumb the ride quality of a pusher on air is FAR FAR better than an RV on spring's ( I say a pusher on air because there are a few that are on spring's , ( mine is a pusher on spring's ........well half of it cos I only managed to fit air to the rear so far ;)(y)) )

And as for fuel I know Diesel pushers that are better on fuel than petrol RVs ( lpg usually is the only exception but not always ) it really depends on how you drive and weather you tow, for example if we have our toad behind ours ( Nissan primera estate ) we drop between 1&2 mpg and we can't really feel it's on there,
Last winter I replaced our Cummins ISC 8.3 with a later 2009 Cummins ISB 6.7 common rail and we now usually return between 13 and 15 mpg.

Last edited:

Olley

Subscriber
Only the rears John might get the fronts done next year, they are going to remove a damper to see if they are knackered and replace them next year if needed, so I will be looking for some advice as to what to fit.
We were thinking of changing to a Eurovan but after looking at whats available over the past year we can't face the downgrade sizewise, so decided to keep it and spend a bit of cash on the RV.

RV Neal

Subscriber
Well, just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons....... I as you know have driven a vast array of RVs from sub £5000 to Empire's £ 200,000 tag Axle Tour's and there are some lower value RVs that drive far better than some top dollar ones .

But as a rule of thumb the ride quality of a pusher on air is FAR FAR better than an RV on spring's ( I say a pusher on air because there are a few that are on spring's , ( mine is a pusher on spring's ........well half of it cos I only managed to fit air to the rear so far ;)(y)) )

And as for fuel I know Diesel pushers that are better on fuel than petrol RVs ( lpg usually is the only exception but not always ) it really depends on how you drive and weather you tow, for example if we have our toad behind ours ( Nissan primera estate ) we drop between 1&2 mpg and we can't really feel it's on there,
Last winter I replaced our Cummins ISC 8.3 with a later 2009 Cummins ISB 6.7 common rail and we now usually return between 13 and 15 mpg.
Blimey Adi, you're getting more mpg from your rig than I get from my little Lexington with a Ford 6.0L diesel. And I only weigh 6.3 tonnes!

johnpengers

Subscriber
Only the rears John might get the fronts done next year, they are going to remove a damper to see if they are knackered and replace them next year if needed, so I will be looking for some advice as to what to fit.
We were thinking of changing to a Eurovan but after looking at whats available over the past year we can't face the downgrade sizewise, so decided to keep it and spend a bit of cash on the RV.
I don't blame you Ian,If you're happy with what you've got then it makes sense to add improvements........I keep banging on about downsizing to a european and I get that in some cases you have to but if at all possible DON'T !!!!!:rofl:

RV Neal

Subscriber
I don't blame you Ian,If you're happy with what you've got then it makes sense to add improvements........I keep banging on about downsizing to a european and I get that in some cases you have to but if at all possible DON'T !!!!!:rofl:
I downsized to a smaller yank two years ago and I've still got boxes and boxes in the shed that came out the lockers of my Holiday Rambler! It was a squeeze at first but we've just completed a 56 night European tour which proves downsizing was a success.

adi4

Subscriber
Blimey Adi, you're getting more mpg from your rig than I get from my little Lexington with a Ford 6.0L diesel. And I only weigh 6.3 tonnes!
Stu ( Stunette ) has the same engine in his Journey and is getting about the same mpg,
Ours is light for a pusher, about 10.5 ton's and being a 1993 vintage it is not as tall or as wide as most of the newer RVs, there are a few exceptions Johns ( Johnpengers ) is a similar size to ours and I believe he is also getting post 13 mpg (y) (y)

RV Neal

Subscriber
Stu ( Stunette ) has the same engine in his Journey and is getting about the same mpg,
Ours is light for a pusher, about 10.5 ton's and being a 1993 vintage it is not as tall or as wide as most of the newer RVs, there are a few exceptions Johns ( Johnpengers ) is a similar size to ours and I believe he is also getting post 13 mpg (y) (y)
That ain't making me feel any better!:envy::envy:. My Holiday Rambler was only managing around 9mpg and I currently rejoice if I manage 13mpg. I was expecting to make 18mpg with this RV but, no. I do run fully loaded but I cruise at around 90kph. :(:(

RV Neal

Subscriber
That ain't making me feel any better!:envy::envy:. My Holiday Rambler was only managing around 9mpg and I currently rejoice if I manage 13mpg. I was expecting to make 18mpg with this RV but, no. I do run fully loaded but I cruise at around 90kph. :(:(

RV Neal

Subscriber

johnpengers

Subscriber
I downsized to a smaller yank two years ago and I've still got boxes and boxes in the shed that came out the lockers of my Holiday Rambler! It was a squeeze at first but we've just completed a 56 night European tour which proves downsizing was a success.
You have downsized to a smaller yank.My beef was downsizing to a European....I'm sure if we'd downsized to B or C class we'd have been happy but a yank to European .........Noooo:rofl:
Just my own experience of course.(y)

Olley

Subscriber
Looked at downsizing to a C or B class yank but outside storage is rubbish in the main, where do you put things like sunloungers? Many eurovans had garages which can take loads of gear in some cases even scooters, so for us if we downsized it would most likely be a eurovan..

RV Neal

Subscriber
We did some "hands-on" research prior to downsizing. Although I'd had just Yanks since 1987 I didn't rule out a Euro-box. We looked at a couple of dozen Euro-boxes at the Kenilworth show and decided noo, they're not for me. Too flimsy, too small, entrance door too narrow, too expensive(!), but, most of all, I have no idea of how they "tick"; no understanding of how they work at all. I then considered a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter based RV but they're rarer than hen's teeth so, I stuck with what I know and we purchased our 6th RV. I have to say that, apart from the poor mpg, we're quite happy with what we've got.