RV Issues with Registration Document

Old Pedro

Hi Guys,
I'm a newby to the site but hoping you can help me out of a very stressful situation. I have owned a 1999 Coachmen Catalina for 2.5 years and recently noticed (not quite true but only now realise the significance) that the log book had many significant errors on it that could leave me in a precarious position if I have an accident. The errors are:
Seats indicated 8 actual 2
Revenue weight 6300kgs indicated actual GVWR 9297kgs
Cylinder capacity 7100cc indicated actual 6800cc.
I sent my log book off with the corrections and a myriad of supporting documentation including images of the original manufacturer's handbook showing full engine specifications. Images of the Safety Compliance Label showing all load ratings for axles and vehicle plus a weigh bridge certificate. After 3 weeks the response came back. I need confirmation from the original manufacture. I informed the agent that they had gone bust in mid 2000s and this wasnt possible. He then said I needed a letter headed document from an RV Owners Club confirming this is true. I tried to argue the case that I was not modifying anything on the vehicle just amending documentation errors at which point he ceased communicating with me. I was hoping that if I draft the letter would one of you guys be kind enough to sign it if you are happy with the content. I am exasperated with there intransigence but must move forward. If not any other ideas to get my log book back with a true reflection of the vehicle would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Hi Pedro and welcome to the club. Sorry to hear of your woes but I'm sure someone will come along soon and help you get sorted. I'm in the Isle of Man so not much use to you.

Best of luck

Merv and Sandra

chatter

Subscriber
Hi and welcome
can i ask do you not have all paperwork for the vehicle if so you should have who imported it, is it an A or C class. eg: Mine was imported by Travel World
Coachmen are now made under either Forrest River inc or Thor Motorcoach
You should be able to find all the specs online if you put the full Coachmen model including the numbers and the year of manufacture - eg: mine is a 2004 coachmen mirada 300qb

jayandjen

Subscriber
Just checking you have the correct licence to uprate the vehicle back to its original specification? ( HGV? I assume you have done your homework on this.
Many rvs were imported with the incorrect number on the paperwork so people can wrongly drive them on a car license. Looks like yours has been.
I suspect the other 6 travel seats have since been taken out or the lap belts are hidden beneath the seats. possibly for look or safety.
I think the seats is less of an issue I would expect DVLA would ammend this down with supporting proof photography.

You could contact a company call SV TECH who could deal with the uprating back to original weights , I believe the DVLA would be satisfied with there headed paper. You will pay for the service though. But the simplest way.

I would sort out the weights / first and the others afterwards as a separate issue

Old Pedro

Hi Chatter,
I have everything needed from SCL safety compliance labels to original handbooks detailing engine specifications etc but he will not accept anything but a letter from an RV owners club. Forest river will not do anything for me because mine is an A class and they didnt buy that part of the business when Coachmen went bust. Crazy as I intimated to the agent which is probably why he has filed my document in the "not communicating file" I then made matters worse because he would not answer any emails and asked for the file to be escalated. So my only chance is to give him exactly what he wants even though it's not logic.
Thanks for comments though.

motor roamin

Subscriber
Hi there it may be possible to get supporting written evidence from some one like empire RV there may be a cost for that but the DVLA should except that, unfortunately the DVLA are not fit for purpose and have never seemed to have a clue, good luck and try not to get to frustrated I deal with them and the DVSA daily so I know the crap you are going through.

Old Pedro

Just checking you have the correct licence to uprate the vehicle back to its original specification? ( HGV? I assume you have done your homework on this.
Many rvs were imported with the incorrect number on the paperwork so people can wrongly drive them on a car license. Looks like yours has been.
I suspect the other 6 travel seats have since been taken out or the lap belts are hidden beneath the seats. possibly for look or safety.
I think the seats is less of an issue I would expect DVLA would ammend this down with supporting proof photography.

You could contact a company call SV TECH who could deal with the uprating back to original weights , I believe the DVLA would be satisfied with there headed paper. You will pay for the service though. But the simplest way.

I would sort out the weights / first and the others afterwards as a separate issue
Thanks Jayandjen. I have the appropriate license for the new vehicle weight at considerable cost as I want things to be correct all the way through which makes the issue even more frustrating. The agents are unanswerable to anyone
Hi Pedro , are you dealing with Uk DVLA as you mention an agent ?
Yes the agent at DVLA, I could think of many not so complimentary names haha.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
It's extremely annoying, to say the least, as Rick said they are not fit for purpose but we don't get a choice. In the old days you could take vehicle to a local licencing office & a (usually quite sensible) person would look at it & your supporting evidence & the amendments would be done. I've had American vehicles for the last 40 years & several have had the wrong information recorded/given at time of registration & it was a straight forward process. Then they closed all the local offices & gave the job to people who really haven't got a clue.
I had an issue a few years ago with a BSA motorcycle, they asked for a letter from the manufacturer, I politely explained when they ceased production, they didn't seem to understand.......
They asked for receipts & invoices for parts & labour, I explained that the parts used were parts I'd acquired over the last 30 years & that I didn't charge myself any labour, they still didn't seem to understand.......
Someone once told me to only change one thing at a time with the DVLA, keep it simple for the simpletons......

jayandjen

Subscriber
All very true Rob. It's so frustrating that in this day and age there is no accountability for their decisions. No appeal/escalation process which would completely revolutionise the whole system and bring it up to the level of the private sector.
Like i say the company SV TECH will be able to do this for you. Like i say the DVLA trust the documents they supply as they do a lot with them. you just have to pay for the privalage
Because your vehicle was effectively registered at those incorrect weights the DVLA assume they are correct and in essence you are now upgrading the weight limit.
SV tech will issue basically a letter to the DVLA who will just go with.

I am sure you can get it done yourself but it will be more hassle.

good luck!

NeilandJo

Subscriber
SV Tech are very good, and quick, we used them for our pickup weight upgrade, even in the midst of covid, they had the weight upgrade turned around in under 2 weeks, you are dealing with the guy that does the paperwork etc and he knows what he is doing. excellent company to deal with.

Gareth62

Subscriber
I think mine was imported by Travel world, Tamworth I rang them up for info but they said they didn’t do RVs now and had no info to help me.
Forest River where as much help as a chocolate teapot when I asked them for air con help.

Old Pedro

Yeah Gareth we're high n dry but got to keep smiling and enjoying the Van's while they still function. Awaiting a reply from Svtech keeping everything crossed. I ended up ordering a new ac unit from the states. Can give you some details if you're still on with it.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Yeah Gareth we're high n dry but got to keep smiling and enjoying the Van's while they still function. Awaiting a reply from Svtech keeping everything crossed. I ended up ordering a new ac unit from the states. Can give you some details if you're still on with it.
No all sorted I just wanted to know how much gas should be put in the cabs AC but tuned out just to be the icing up thermostat at fault...

Old Pedro

Good morning Guys,
I just wanted to give you an update regarding my ongoing troubles with DVLA. I contacted SVTECH as suggested and they were fantastic. Within a couple of weeks I got an email from DVLA saying everything I wanted updating has been done and I should get the new log book within 10 days. I have no recieved it all as I wanted. No additional information was given to them so all I can assume is that DVLA require a company or body to accept responsibility for the verification of the data changes. Svtech charged £120 and were brilliant. Any DVLA issues go straight to Svtech good advice guys thank you very much again.