route from santander

G

gofer

Hi we are planning to go down to Spain later this year,could you please help me with a route from Santander to Benidorm
thank you harry

L

lancer

Hi Gofer
When are you planning to go?
We will be heading from Santander to Alecanti on the 25th of September.
We have been told that the new motorway A67 to Madrid is open, but some else said avoid Madrid like the plague (very Heavy traffic) but we need LPG and the best one is situated just south of Madrid at Pinto just off the E5 A4.

Depending on stop overs I've seen a good secure caravan site off the A6 at Camping Cubillas just before Valladolid.

Have not found a stop over near Albacette.

Stu

vwalan

Subscriber
hi,depends if you want to rush or take your time, we go to burgos then turn left just after burgos on the n234 and turn off at s,leonardo de yague visit the canon del rio lobos. a beautiful canyon .park in the carpark there get water there as well.ideal for a couple of nights lovelly walksi n the canyon.
drop down to el burgo de osma then turn left on the n122, then carry on to soria. then drop south on the n234.
at daroco head towards teruel.then head towards sagunto. then follow the coast .
lots parking at tavernas on the beach. well not far from it, or down the coast at damius .
then adays drive on you can be at benidorm.
you could just take the main roads but then theres no adventure.
i suggest you look for a cepsa map of spain and portugal . its possibly the best map of spain i,ve seen for awhile. lent it to a friend so cant give you the isbn number .
but inland spain can be really lovelly .
remember i,m in a mini artic and travel with other truck campers so all the roads are wide enough for you.
cheers alan.

Last edited:
G

gofer

Thanks Alan for your reply have looked at the roads and they are a bit to daring for me its taken me 6yrs to pluck up courage to come via Santander(I'm not a very good sailor)
yours Harry

vwalan

Subscriber
the n roads in spain are like our A roads. youwould have no probs on them. we try never to use m,ways .wouldnt tell you to go down anywhere thats too small thats not the game we play.
its cheaper to go to santander than drive through france . well in winter it is. 24 hrs and you are there. the worst is the drive to burgos .its steep but i keep in a low gear and just go steady . the views are amazing. been doing it for years always blows my mind . arrive in november snow on the hills, leave end of april still snow on the hills . but you might never get that close to it.this year we came back throuigh the picos de europ on the n625 from riano to ribadesella.very thrilling.but passable with all vehicles i should think.
there are some treally good routes through spain. not fast but so exciting to drive . free parking all over once you get inland .
try a few keep to n roads to start with you will thank me mark my words.
cheers alan.

G

gofer

Thanks Alan i might thank you but Doris wont she would kill me.I just don't have the confidence to go where you go and looking at your rig mine would be easier to drive in bad weather.Where do you usually stay?

vwalan

Subscriber
hi. carparks ,open spaces . quiet roads on the edge of towns -villages. hardly ever use a campsite. very often there are 4/5 trucks . my next door neighbour here catches us up. mates from scotland join us . we always find somewhere. sometimes it can be just me alone . but always have no problems . remember some places in spain you could find 70 campers parked up on spare ground or between the summer only use hotels. in the middle of spain stop in truck stops . mind dont take the misses into the ones with the big club signs outside. ha ha . mind you might find an exchange. hee hee. but spain etc are friendly to the bigger campers and trucks . keep your eyes open for us . you cant miss mine or my mates bright purple daf 45 . when are you thinking of crossing?
there was an article in MMM a few years ago about the canyon . well worth a visit. not sure this year when we shall be going but anybody can tag along with us if you see us. hopefully we are leaving in nov . no maroc this year just slowly down to the med then follow the sea round to santander. stop here stop there. we visit all sorts of places . even car factories . truck factories . we do miss some of the more touristy places but who knows , we might turn up and say hello.in benidorm we park by the big out door market. on the road . my brother as an apartment there . if he is there we stop . but for us we just like looking at the high rise hotels and laugh . mind we stop under the flight path just south of alicante . in a housing estate . the locals know us now, all wave and say hello. calpe can be ok for staying as well. we try not to slum it. mix with the rich some might rub off on us. ha ha .

Last edited: