RETROFESTIVAL NEWBURY 7th TO 9th AUGUST 2020 - NOW CANCELLED :(

adi4

Subscriber
SADLY THE RETRO TEAM HAVE DECIDED TO CANCEL NEWBURY AS WELL AS NEWARK NOW DUE TO THE UNCERTAINTY WE ALL FACE - WE HOPE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THEIR DECISION AND STAND BY THEM FOR 2021!

Full statement here: https://www.retrofestival.co.uk/coronavirus/

Thank you

Cassie & Adi

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well here it is that time again when we are preparing for the season rallies and you will be pleased to note that the same team of marshals have agreed to give up their time to work these rallies.

The venue is the same and we will be in the same area as before.

Due to obvious increases not only in the rent of the ground but just about all the other cost we have
had to accept a price increase again this year, but it is still a substantial saving over general camping with a pitch that's right in the thick of the action.

So book the time off and fill out the forms and secure your place at a fantastic Retro event.

The booking procedure is slightly different than last year in that it is being done electronically using Eventree, an event management company with extensive experience of large events such as Shambala, Boomtown and parts of Glastonbury.

When you follow the link below to Eventree you will be prompted to create a free account if you do not already have one ( which is really simple to do )

After you have filled the form in you will automatically be taken to PayPal, where you can pay either using your PayPal account or Credit / Debit card if you do not have one.

Once you have completed the payment process and once your application has been approved by the team, you will receive an Email in which you will get a gate pass in the form of a printable window badge ( to get you in the front gate ) and you will receive QR codes for both vehicle and passengers, these will need to be printed before you arrive at the showground.

DON'T FORGET THAT YOU HAVE TO BOOK WITH THE CLUB TO RALLY WITH THE CLUB AND THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN DO THAT IS TO FILL OUT THE ON LINE FORM

Any questions please contact Adi4 rather than Landylover ( Bill ) as we have taken over as head Marshals.

https://applications.eventree.co.uk/apply/form/id/2943

We look forward to seeing you there.

Adi, Cassie and the Team

Last edited:

Gareth62

Subscriber
We are thinking of doing this one this year. Must just have a word with she who must be obeyed. But it the following weekend after returning from a 4000 mile euro tour.

Edit:
Turn around time will be a little tight for us to get the RV cleaned and ready after the 6 week trip so will have to miss out this time around....
Mrs doesn't think we can get though 6 weeks of washing and cleaning by then

Last edited:

soul buddies

Subscriber
I ave asked this question before on previous shows and years gone by and never got a satisfactory answer as to why there is an £80 - 100 difference between front of line and the behind the line and why are the same people invited front of line every year why is it not in a rotation system ? Please do not insult my intelligence with a pathetic answer :) happy times

adi4

Subscriber
I ave asked this question before on previous shows and years gone by and never got a satisfactory answer as to why there is an £80 - 100 difference between front of line and the behind the line and why are the same people invited front of line every year why is it not in a rotation system ? Please do not insult my intelligence with a pathetic answer :) happy times

To answer your question.

The Show Line is an interactive display and is instrumental in recruiting new members to the RVOC.

To qualify for the Show Line you are obliged to show members of the general public the inside of your RV ( by appointment ) and answer any questions raised by people about the joys of owning and running an RV.

A general information board displayed in front of the RV is appreciated and goes down very well with the public.

Last years Show Line exhibitors are offered first refusal for this years show, and so far this year there are 4 members joining the Show Line to exhibit their RV for the first time.

I hope that you consider this to be a satisfactory response.

Regards

Adi & Cassie

soul buddies

Subscriber
Your response still doesnt justify a 200% price difference for being parked behind the line .
To " qualify for the Showline " this is something new to us and several other rv,ers.and in the time we have been members of this club and had our rv we haven't once been asked, approached, had it mentioned or been invited to try to qualify for the " Showline Exhibitors Club " so I would be interested to know how your selection process works and who the 4 new additions are for this year or is this a secret.
If in the previous years " show line exhibitors" are always given first refusal then how is that giving any of the other members that are in this club a chance to have a presence on the frontline with there rv,s,
Finally and I speak for others how come this show is like a secret cloak and dagger closed book affair as to who is attending ? And why isn't there a listing of all those attending that can be updated and viewed every day/ week the same as Rick does with Peterborough,Paul does with Cuckoo Fair, and you yourselves Adi & Cassi are doing with the new Littlesea Laugh meeting ? The comments made are nothing personal towards anyone who is on the front of line or anywhere else , however if things were more transparent then us and I am sure many other rv,ers would be more inclined to attend this event

Regards

John & Deb

Last edited:

adi4

Subscriber
Your response still doesnt justify a 200% price difference for being parked behind the line .

You do realise that we do not set the prices for the showground, The "show line" price is the same price as a standard "vehicle exhibitor" except you get free electric. the rest of the Club camping is actually around £20 cheaper than general camping.

To " qualify for the Showline " this is something new to us and several other rv,ers.and in the time we have been members of this club and had our rv we haven't once been asked, approached, had it mentioned

After you raised this subject a few years ago you personally were given a chance to be on the Show Line and you declined.

If in the previous years " show line exhibitors" are always given first refusal then how is that giving any of the other members that are in this club a chance to have a presence on the frontline with there rv,s,

Not everyone that has been on the Show Line will want to repeat the experience in subsequent years, in fact last year there were spaces because some people pulled out at the last minute

Finally and I speak for others how come this show is like a secret cloak and dagger closed book affair as to who is attending ? And why isn't there a listing of all those attending that can be updated and viewed every day/ week the same as Rick does with Peterborough,Paul does with Cuckoo Fair, and you yourselves Adi & Cassi are doing with the new Littlesea Laugh meeting ?

There is nothing secretive about who is attending.
We have only just taken over this event less than 2 weeks ago and have not as yet had a chance to publish a list of attendees ( it is not just RVOC - we are also organising Motorhome Fun which will equate to number in excess of 110 vehicles )

You do realise we do run a business as well and have devoted an inordinate amount of time into organising this event as well as our own ( something which we do not get paid for )

Regards

Adi & Cassie

soul buddies

Subscriber
I did raise the subject a few years ago after several other Rv,ers asked me to,I never got a satisfactory out in the open answer then, but I was offered a place in the front line by pm which I felt was to quieten me down, it would have been hypocritical of me to accept after raising the issue and therefore declined Bills offer,
Not going to comment on anything else ( unless I feel the need) but will watch this space

Regards

John& Deb

Last edited:

lee and sheryl

Subscriber
Just to out my bit in ,we have thought of going to this rally but have not yet as it seems to be from hearing everyone a massive price difference between front row and behind, sort of like a rank thing. We have asked jon and deb and others about it so we are one of the others he is asking for.
Maybe someone could ask whoever's it is that sets the prices why there is such a big difference.
In car shows I used to be involved in years ago the Marshall's used to get free spaces but the cost was spread to the others

paul&debra

Subscriber
I dont want to get involved in an argument over this, it has nothing to do with me. But we enquired about this show, when it was not very popular 8 or 9 years ago. And were offered a place on the front row, we were told we should do some kind of display for the public. We did so and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. In those days the ordinary camping was not much more expensive. But the organisers were looking for exhibits, so offered a discount. When the show was over, we were asked " have you enjoyed it, and do you want to come again" we said yes. Then have expressed a wish to return each year. As the show has become more popular, the general camping fees have gradually increased, while the organisers (obviously concerned with making the event a success) have put up exhibit fees much slower. So a bigger gap has opened up. We now sort of have Grandfather rights, and as we either stop going or die, our place is offered to another long standing visitor. I would add, that in the front row, you have little or no privacy. If you sit outside, people are constantly coming up and asking questions and walking between RV's and behind the RV's. As a final offering, the event used to be Marshalled by Rick and Bill, I for one am very grateful. That Cassie and Adi have stepped in and taken over. They are club reps, doing their best to give us all somewhere to go. And working quite hard to help organise such a large event free of charge. They are not the organisers and do not set the prices. It seems that a bad feeling is dominating over the approx £100 difference in price. If the price difference was much lower, I would probably move to the camping field to keep our privacy. If in the great scheme of running an Rv , you feel you cant or dont want to pay the extra, then you have free will. And if the organisers see a large drop in camping fees, they may want think about dropping prices.
In any case with the coronavirus spreading, it is very likely, that lots of these events, this year will be cancelled.
Please note, this is all my opinion and I do not have an axe to grind over this.

Last edited:

adi4

Subscriber
Just to out my bit in ,we have thought of going to this rally but have not yet as it seems to be from hearing everyone a massive price difference between front row and behind, sort of like a rank thing. We have asked jon and deb and others about it so we are one of the others he is asking for.
Maybe someone could ask whoever's it is that sets the prices why there is such a big difference.
In car shows I used to be involved in years ago the Marshall's used to get free spaces but the cost was spread to the others

I thought that I had answered your question in posts above.

The organisers have set the prices NOT US.
If you have a question about the prices you need to contact Retrofest

Vehicle display = £10 camping for vehicle display = £40 Total = £50
Show line price = £55 + PayPal fees Total = £ 57.12

Equivalent General camping for vehicles under 7.5 meters Total = £180

Club camping = £155 + PayPal fees Total = £160.62

There is NO camping available for vehicles above 7.5 meters elsewhere at the event

The reason for the price difference is as follows.....

The "show line" price is comparable to a standard "vehicle exhibitor" except you get free electric.
To DISPLAY on the Show Line you are obliged to show members of the general public the inside of your RV ( by appointment ) and answer any questions raised by people about the joys of owning and running an RV.

The camping behind the Show Line is the same as general camping, but the comparable price of general camping will cost you £180 and you could be up to 1/2 a mile away, however in general camping there is a 7.5 meter length limit.

I am NOT going to answer anymore questions about pricing and price differences, I believe that I have made it as clear as it could possibly be, we as a club DO NOT set the prices they are set by Retrofest.

We believe that the club have an exceptionally good price for the place that we occupy on the showground as we are right on the showground of an exceptional event.

Regards

Adi & Cassie

Last edited: