Respraying an RV any ideas of cost and recommends please

Olley

Subscriber
Thanks to Monacosteve I got Andy Sheppard on facebook the guy who did his, he said if it can't be machined polished out then it gone into the gel coat and can't be fixed, so it looks like I leave it as is with just a wash or get it sprayed, so what's the cost guys any ideas and who can do it?

motor roamin

Subscriber
You may find wrapping it will come in much cheaper than a respray I would think you will have little change from 5k for a cheap respray and done properly with windows out doesn't bare thinking about a good quality wrap I would think 2 1/2 to 3k.

RV Neal

Subscriber
We wrapped ours 7 years ago and it is only just starting to look tired in a few places, mind you ours is black so I would expect a lighter colour, especially white to last longer (y) (y)

Adi
I didn't realise the Bounder had been wrapped Adi. I thought it was a respray, another one of your skills executed?!

motor roamin

Subscriber
I thought about a wrap Rick but from googling its not a longterm solution, somewhere in the region of 3-5 years. If I am going to do it, I want to do it properly.
As Adi states depending on colour Wraps will in the most part last for about 8 years and quite often its only a few places that require replacement True its not as good as a respray but a proper respray is weeks of work in prep trying to think back to when we did paint work in 1980 to bare metal a rolls with just minor body work we were charging £5k, pure guesswork but a proper respray on an RV would be a min of 15k and poss nearer to 20k not worth it on most RV's mine included.

Olley

Subscriber
emailed 6 companies last night, so I will see what they come back with, that's if they reply at all.
I feel rightly or wrongly that wrapping devalues an RV, if I wanted to buy an RV and was told its been wrapped it would put me off.
I don't need a full respray just from the lockers to the roof gutter, the lockers are painted ali and are fine.

Olley

Subscriber
I have always assumed that Gel coat was just like a lacquer to give you a shine, but a bit of googling and you get in colours, so you can simply Gel coat over an existing Gel coat. I know its not that simple but all interesting stuff to know.
The last time I did any spraying was back in the 70's on an old MK3 Cortina, its was painted in Silver Fox which ford had a lot of problems with, I didn't make it look much better.:D

MikeyRV

Subscriber
A wrap is good but the bodywork has to be perfect
under it otherwise your wasting your money. A full respray is more expensive especially for an RV, there is a lot of bodywork and a lot of prep but will be expensive but for a lasting effect would look great. Good luck. (y)

adi4

Subscriber
A wrap is good but the bodywork has to be perfect
under it otherwise your wasting your money. A full respray is more expensive especially for an RV, there is a lot of bodywork and a lot of prep but will be expensive but for a lasting effect would look great. Good luck. (y)

Wrap is much more forgiving than paint, and hides more surface imperfections, but it will show some marks.

Adi

Olley

Subscriber
Picked the Brave up from Stuart the polisher, front has come up lovely, silky smooth and shiny along with the door but after that when you hit the gel no shine and stained.
Should make the respray quote cheaper though as now I don't need the front done.
Nice bloke I said how much and he said nothing but I gave him £40.

rig7944

Subscriber
Thanks to Monacosteve I got Andy Sheppard on facebook the guy who did his, he said if it can't be machined polished out then it gone into the gel coat and can't be fixed, so it looks like I leave it as is with just a wash or get it sprayed, so what's the cost guys any ideas and who can do it?
On Fb budget body shop do full resprays
Or contact local coach operators they will put you right
Or Blackpool body shop do a brilliant job
I have seen ther work

Olley

Subscriber
Thought I would give an update on this. From the 8 emails for quotes I sent I received two replies, 1 for around £10,000 the other for about £6000. After some discussion with wifey we decided not to go ahead. We didn't see that spending that sort of money would increase the value of the Winnie significantly.
The plan is to sell it late this year or early next so no point in just throwing money at it just to make it look pretty.

RV Neal

Subscriber
Thought I would give an update on this. From the 8 emails for quotes I sent I received two replies, 1 for around £10,000 the other for about £6000. After some discussion with wifey we decided not to go ahead. We didn't see that spending that sort of money would increase the value of the Winnie significantly.
The plan is to sell it late this year or early next so no point in just throwing money at it just to make it look pretty.
A sound plan, methinks