RECOVERY LIFT ON REAR OF RV?? IS IT LEGAL

MAUBRI

Subscriber
Hi All, not been active for some time but have just seen an add on eBay which shows an RV with a recovery style hydraulic lift, is this legal as I thought this device was solely for recovery, no doubt there is someone on here who will no. The item number is . 262473123101

Brian

tacr2man

Subscriber
The question is not as simple as it seems , as by fitting the spec lift you would then be eligible to be classed as a "recovery vehicle" and you would therefore be legal , as a side effect free from mot ! There are some restrictions as well . If you didnt change class then you would not have all exemptions of a rec vehicle , so therefore subject to same restrictions as present "A" frame users. It would not be illegal to fit the spec lift as long as you didnt exceed rear axle loads, or overhang limit

Landy Lover

Subscriber
The question is not as simple as it seems , as by fitting the spec lift you would then be eligible to be classed as a "recovery vehicle" and you would therefore be legal , as a side effect free from mot ! There are some restrictions as well . If you didnt change class then you would not have all exemptions of a rec vehicle , so therefore subject to same restrictions as present "A" frame users. It would not be illegal to fit the spec lift as long as you didnt exceed rear axle loads, or overhang limit
You are entering a whole minefield of regs there - a couple of years ago the MOT laws changed and while it is possible to tax a recovery vehicle without an MOT the new rules state that any MOT exempt recovery vehicle must be maintained to a level over and above that expected - also such vehicle can only be used for Recovery purposes so being a motorhome it is immediately excluded from that exemption as recovery cannot be its only use. Also it cannot be used under the exemption rules for moving vehicles that are not being recovered ie moving vehicles that are running or have not genuinely broken down. There is of course no reason why a spec lift cannot be fitted but I would have thought the weight involved would make its use very limited and its use in certain countries may well be limited

Think in Spain you would have to be an official / authorised recovery vehicle, just calling your vehicle that wouldn't work in Spain.

Geo

Cracking idea its a shame BUT
I have to concur 100% with Bills interpretations re recovery and use restrictions and add other problems such as speed limit restriction,
I believe currently 30 mph in built up areas and 45mph on motorways as well as Insurance and testing certificates for lifting equipment
G

MAUBRI

Subscriber
Cracking idea its a shame BUT
I have to concur 100% with Bills interpretations re recovery and use restrictions and add other problems such as speed limit restriction,
I believe currently 30 mph in built up areas and 45mph on motorways as well as Insurance and testing certificates for lifting equipment
G
S0 basically not illegal, but also not much use seeing how much they weigh in themselves, probably easier to set up for towing though,just drive on then ratchet down the wheels. But I think not for me. Thanks for every ones input.

Brian

tacr2man

Subscriber
Yes recovery vehicle usually have a "Roadworthy" inspection , also carried out by DVSA , as they dont have MOT as they cannot always
fully comply with testing requirements. The "broken down" thing
does not seem to be enforced at the moment. I am aware of the "problems" but didnt feel it was worth going into the nitty and gritty as it was a light hearted suggestion of registering as a reccy vehicle
The final answer as you stated its not illegal , but weight penalties as you mentioned as did I would quite likely in most applications would be
the killer :)

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Had to think then "cant tow another vehicle by any means?" A trailer isn't a car DOH to me. Nor a caravan Double DOH

motor roamin

Subscriber
The simple answer is no it's not legal, for all of the reasons above and more, this has been on and off eBay for a few months now if it was legal why would you sell it if keeping the RV

Sorry just noticed he's selling the RV as well now

Last edited: