Rear overhang.

PabloH

Hello all, we've been looking at alternatives to our A class ie. a downsize. We thought of fivers (thanks for the advice on them) but, they seem to be just as high/wide as our RV so we are now thinking of a B class. I've found one (Winnebago Aspect) that meets our needs however, at 30ft, it has a hell of a rear overhang. I'm not worried about driving it (HGV licence holder, 8 year RV driver), but I just wondered , what are MOT implications ? I assume, as its registered here, it's all good and being 2012 it's had an MOT before, but, as we're in N Ireland all MOTs are by the ministry and are super strict and I'd hate to be told not to drive it.. ! Thanks in advance.

LARRY99

Subscriber
Don't, know about N.I ( but as it's part of the uk then the rules should be the same). B & C classes come under a class 4 mot, the same as a car,
Regarding the overhang, you soon get used to it, just remember that sharp turns the back end will swing out
Don't think they come any longer than I have

Attachments

PabloH

Many thanks Larry, the one I'm looking at would be about the same overhang as yours, so, after a while, I'm sure I'd get used to it. The thing to watch (I think) would be the tail swing in traffic; wouldn't want to 'clip' anyone. The reason I asked about MOT was that my bro in law (in the motor trade) took one look at the pic. of the one I've seen and said "there's no way that'd MOT here..." which then put a doubt in my mind. As you said, NI is in the UK so if it's ok in the rest of the UK then it's ok here. :)

Our Bounder has a long overhang, its had more pro's than con's.

Wheelbase is short so when on a site you can fit on a hardstand pitch and overhang goes over the grass so no damage to the grass.
Have had ours over a small wall into a garden to fit in at Palencia Airre. Had it sticking over a cliff and over a couple of rivers.

OK it does swing out when turning but you check to make sure no silly Billy's are trying to sneap past. Especially when you have the Toad or a Trailer.

Trekkin

Recall there being a question on the older Winnebago's especially the longer Elante when then came in late 90's. As it was a 39' RV on a std chassis meaning that over half the length of the RV was overhang. Think this was the issue in getting them registered as UK road legal, the rear axle can not be forward of the mid point. Having said that if it in the UK and registered it will be Ok. Bit like the 40'+ RVs once registered doubt they get a second look. Not sure why it would be an MOT fail?

PabloH

The MOT here in NI can be strange thing, I've had to 'have words' with a supervisor a few times in the past with HGVs I've had. Once because they said a sticker to do with tacho compliance should be on the outside of the cab not inside the door, of course, if it's on the outside it'd be knicked ! The supervisor understood !

Olley

Subscriber
I think the overhang must less than 60% of the wheel base, to comply with construction and use regs. My winne is over this, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Most C class are only 96" wide unlike our A class which is 102 ish lol.
Looking at changing ourselves.

Ian

PabloH

To be honest Ian, I love the size and 'wow' factor of our A class ,but, although she's a joy to drive in France and on wide roads, we want to explore some of the smaller, wilder areas of southern Ireland and I don't want to pull the sides out of her on the local roads. Also our youngest son is driving now and doesn't want to be with us any more so it's just 3 of us so a smaller outfit will be a better bet. I wonder, does anyone know what mpg I'll get going from a 9 ton A class to about 6 ton B class with the Triton v10?

Daybreaker

Subscriber
the bigger the better I say (so does Wifey):)(y) We just love the space when parked up and slide is out. Ambition....one as big as Ricks (not that ive looked);). Only popped my head in his door and thought I saw Dr Who in there.

PabloH

I'm the same, but I have to be realistic, whilst I'd go for a 40' quad slide tomorrow, I have to remember that we live in N Ireland. Longest motorway is 40 miles, I live in an area of country lanes and I still have a biz to run so I can't get away much.

Olley

Subscriber
Driving licence is the problem, take our trip here to Venosc, I am they only who can drive, so two days and 735 miles, go under 7.5 ton and the wife, son in law and daughter can drive. Would make holidays a bit easier.

Ian

Geo

The amount of overhang is of no relevance to a UK MoT and afaik you in the North have the same rules and governing body as we do.
The MPG will still hover around the 12 at best mark
G