Really?

onan

Subscriber
THE VEHICLE IS LISTED AS 7938KGS, AS SUCH IT IS CLASSED AS HGV, HOWEVER THE LAW DOES NOT CLASS IT AS AN HGV AS IT CAN NEVER BE AN HGV AS IT IS NOT A VEHICLE MADE OR ADAPTED TO CARRY GOODS FOR HIRE & REWARD, AS SUCH IF YOU HAVE A LICENCE ISSUED BEFORE 1ST JANUARY 1997, YOU INHERIT GRANDFATHER RIGHTS FOR A VEHICLE SUCH AS THIS.

eBay item number:
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

AMERICAN MOTORHOME RV DAMON CHALLENGER, 2003/4 MODEL 2x SLIDE 35' FORD WITH LPG | eBay

Item location:
FAVERSHAM KENT, United Kingdom

grumpy

Subscriber
I’m sure Rick or whatshisface will be on with the answer , but.
Weight is weight and it’s either over or under, so it’s either not hgv or it is hgv. Simples.
We had this with the Damon outlaw even though it was most definitely hgv 8 1/2 ton unladen something like 12 ton fully loaded.
Insurance wanted to hike policy because the rear garage could be used for hire and reward carrying goods ?
I did point out that doing about 8 mpg wasn’t really a money making project !!!
Heyho !!!

motor roamin

Subscriber
I have argued in the past with seller (mercury RV) utter waste of breath, as far as I am concerned it is as plain as day on dot gov web site which licence is required, and he is trying to sell a car to put on the back maybe that's not a trailer, also at 22,000ib it's almost 10ton according to the brochure he supplied so down plated to having no pay load, not someone I would deal with personally, just my opinion of course.

NeilandJo

Subscriber
If your licence was issued by dvla prior to 1997 and you have grandfather rights, you can drive a vehicle up to and including 7500Kgs. you can drive a vehicle with a gross train weight of 12000kgs which is a vehicle under 7500 kgs and a trailer not exceeding 4500kgs.
Anyone driving a vehicle over 7500kgs on grandfather rights must have bought their licence from ebay or possibly amazon. :banghead:

NeilandJo

Subscriber
My grandfather said "if you can drive this car round our field & not hit anything, you can drive anything" I was about 10 years old, I did & have done ever since, don't need no tests to prove it....... :giggle:
Yup, i was put on an old fordson power major at 7 years old, was as much as i could do to get the clutch pedal down standing on it and pulling on the steering wheel, life was great growing up in them days, the laws are a bit crazy now.

motor roamin

Subscriber
If your licence was issued by dvla prior to 1997 and you have grandfather rights, you can drive a vehicle up to and including 7500Kgs. you can drive a vehicle with a gross train weight of 12000kgs which is a vehicle under 7500 kgs and a trailer not exceeding 4500kgs.
Anyone driving a vehicle over 7500kgs on grandfather rights must have bought their licence from ebay or possibly amazon. :banghead:
Not quite correct a pre 97 licence under grandfather rights has a 107 restriction on it which allows a gross train weight of 8250kg with a maximum prime mover weight of 7500kg, to remove the restriction will require the holder to take a C1+E test this will then allow a 12000kg max train weight. hope this helps.

motor roamin

Subscriber
My grandfather said "if you can drive this car round our field & not hit anything, you can drive anything" I was about 10 years old, I did & have done ever since, don't need no tests to prove it....... :giggle:
I will tell you some stories of when I was a youngster which includes a motorbike and sidecar at 7 years old you will wonder how I ever became a law abiding hgv driving instructor, i have been driving trucks for over 50yrs which if you work out my age I didn't hold a licence for a truck fifty years ago :lipssealed: :giggle:

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I will tell you some stories of when I was a youngster which includes a motorbike and sidecar at 7 years old you will wonder how I ever became a law abiding hgv driving instructor, i have been driving trucks for over 50yrs which if you work out my age I didn't hold a licence for a truck fifty years ago :lipssealed: :giggle:
Haha, I've got a mate who I've known for probably 20 years or more, always had old British bikes, he's one of the best plant driver's I know too. Last year we were talking about how things have changed with driving tests, particularly regarding motor cycles, he said that he failed his test 45 years ago, I asked how many times did he take the test "just the once" he said........

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Not quite correct a pre 97 licence under grandfather rights has a 107 restriction on it which allows a gross train weight of 8250kg with a maximum prime mover weight of 7500kg, to remove the restriction will require the holder to take a C1+E test this will then allow a 12000kg max train weight. hope this helps.
Really?, I only took an agricultural tractor test at 16 and a car test at 18, nothing else :)