Phase 2 or 3 or is it 4 ?

RRV

Subscriber
Well we went to pick up RRV on Friday and stopped in it overnight - unfortunately there were some additional bits that needed to be done. All electrics done abs working great - fridge working great on electric so new board needed! - hot water working on diesel, engine and electric and lpg - only issue was the heating in the living area needed some improvement so we’re having 3 radiators fitted next week

hopefully it’ll be ready next week :)

Attachments

jayandjen

Subscriber
Hi John,
looks ace.
Only thing i struggled with a little this year was when its cold the Quattro cuts charging to the lithiums at less than 5 degrees ( to cold ) our batteries like yours are in a basement compartment.
Make sure you have that compartment heated too.
Ours was only an issue as i have a small drain on the batteries and i leave the 12v side on so i can keep the internet connected to monitor batteries etc..
The batteries depletes over a period of weeks- and i don,t like leaving it on hookup with the batteries on float charge. not ideal for lithium i believe.

So as we had a cold spat i couldnt charge batteries up until i warmed them (i set a tube heater in there)

And its been on hook up since also to keep a small radiator in there too.

I,m now thinking of putting a heat pad on them or something. temp controlled to keep them above freezing so that when you away camping it makes sure you can allways charge them.
Not sure if i am overthinking it as it hasnt been an issue so far as when travelling with the webasto running it seem sto keep that compartment up to temp. just when parked

Jay

RRV

Subscriber
Hi John,
looks ace.
Only thing i struggled with a little this year was when its cold the Quattro cuts charging to the lithiums at less than 5 degrees ( to cold ) our batteries like yours are in a basement compartment.
Make sure you have that compartment heated too.
Ours was only an issue as i have a small drain on the batteries and i leave the 12v side on so i can keep the internet connected to monitor batteries etc..
The batteries depletes over a period of weeks- and i don,t like leaving it on hookup with the batteries on float charge. not ideal for lithium i believe.

So as we had a cold spat i couldnt charge batteries up until i warmed them (i set a tube heater in there)

And its been on hook up since also to keep a small radiator in there too.

I,m now thinking of putting a heat pad on them or something. temp controlled to keep them above freezing so that when you away camping it makes sure you can allways charge them.
Not sure if i am overthinking it as it hasnt been an issue so far as when travelling with the webasto running it seem sto keep that compartment up to temp. just when parked

Jay
I was going to put heating in the locker - I’ve already got one in the big locker and one in the water closet.
I’ve heard you need to keep the batteries above freezing so you’re right something needs to keep it warm - although the Quattro will give some heat out :)

RRV

Subscriber
Tom’s having to put 3 radiators in the living and bathroom area as the heat exchangers were struggling to get the van warm. It’s a water based system that’s been installed so it’s relatively easy to tap into the pipes. And before you say anything :) all the pipe work is visible so if there are any leaks they will be immediately identified
So we’ll have warm air and small infra red radiator in the bedroom, warm air and heated towel rail in the bathroom, warm air and 2 radiators in the lounge and warm air a d infra red radiator at the front.
So should be warm and toastie if we very go skiing again!
Pretty much all the electrics have been taken out (full wheelie bin full of our redundant wiring) replaced with 3 ring mains so hopefully no more electrical issues.
Looking forward to getting it back and looking at it in the driveway! As have nothing booked to go anywhere soon. Oh apart from Mallory park track day in March (if it’s on) ;-)

RRV

Subscriber
One of the reasons for not bring the rv back last week was we couldn’t get the legs up - back ones didn’t work at all and front one went down but wouldn’t come back up! So of course I blamed Tom and his Merry men as they mush have dislodge something whilst they were working on it.

Turns out it was one of my bodges (oops repairs) That had given up the ghost

I still think it was their fault - haha!

Attachments

car1966

Subscriber
Not the Vulcan raf beans were wicked
Think I posted this once before but it's good to reminisce, I was on hire to a maintenance builder Humberstone pulford , at RAF Scampton , and I was digging out bases for the equipment for the Vulcan that was on standby for the threat of the Cold war 4 Vulcan on standby with a direct access to to the main runway, but just remembered wasn't much security, at the time I was driving a International B 125 track shovel and was working at the side of the Vulcan within touching distance , when one of the RAF Personal came across and said can stop and stand to one side, which I did at once, what he didn't tell me was that there was going to scramble the 4 Vulcan's talk about Noise you need a lot beens to beat that Bill, anyway I sat and watched in ore at the 4 Vulcan's took off , Never ever forget that nearly 40 years ago :h::clap::clap:

dont know anything about Vulcans but certainly remember we had a 125 international even as far back as the Drott BTD6 them progressed on to the 175 powershift real modern
and loads of different Ruston Bucyrus machines fight up a 61RB HD F/S & Dragline
driveing one of them with all the clutches screaming
before all the modern hyd machines started to appear
them were the days when drivers were drivers bib & brace overalls and a grease gun
all gone now technicians with computers

car1966

Subscriber
I remember as a wee laddie in Scotland watching them working and getting invited into the cab. The noise the machinery all moving very exciting. Ruston Bucyrus haven’t heard that for years are they still going?
No but they have a parts department or did have on Beevor street Lincoln, they outsource the parts from different companies, B&Q now sit on the old works, we was in Madeira about 5 years ago and in Funchal harbour was a ship with a 36 RB on the deck and it was unloading it's cargo, I do believe there are a lot of the RB still about .