Phase 2 or 3 or is it 4 ?

RRV

Subscriber
Well if anyone is interested I’ve just booked in my rv for a new 230v victron electric system and a new webasto heating system with the installation of a new microwave and possibly a new Compressor fridge conversion and possibly a new 230v 6kw lpg generator to complete the system :)

The victron system will run a 5kw inverter charged by the solar panels that Adi brilliantly installed with 4 new lithium batteries and a complete overhaul of the internal electrics which will HOPEFULLY simplify the electrics and bring it all up to modern standards.

The webasto system will replace all the Blown air gas heaters and the water tank. This will work by providing full bus heating from the engine, when we’re driving along, and diesel when camped up - the water will heat from the engine when it’s running, or diesel if we have the heating on or it’s got a 700w electric heating element which will run off the inverter :) - the water tank will hold hot water for over 24 hours and is super efficient

We’re looking into the fridge to see if it can be converted into a compressor type and I’ll let you know what we find out.

The lpg generator will replace the existing Onan 7500w diesel genny and probably save about a ton in weight. It will also provide power at 230v and will be integrated into the Victron electric system And will auto start according to the set up that’s configured to charge up the batteries should they need to.

This means we’ll have constant hot water, heating which is linked to the diesel tank (much easier to find diesel than lpg - and its about 6 times bigger) - the advantages of lithium batteries and more than enough electric supply to wild camp for months :) and full central heating - we even get a heated towel rail - yeah!

And then when this lock down is finally over we’ll head off into the sunset again :)

If I get any updates Or photos of the installation I’ll Post them :) and update stuff as we go if anyone’s interested

Once all this is complete I’m likely to have 2 gas blown air heaters - 1 10gallon water tank - 1 Atwood gas / Elec water heater - 1 1200w 12v to 230v inverter - 1 1500w 12v to 230v inverter and a 7500 w Onan diesel generator

If anyone is in need of any of the above let me know :)

jayandjen

Subscriber
sounds awesome. I fitted a victron quattro /450 amp hrs of lithiums to our's and its spot on. Links to the generator to start it automatically to save the lithium batteries from going completely splat. I fitted a 120v unit and a auto former which means i still have dual voltage which i guess your getting rid of.
I havent needed solar as the batteries last and the generator charges them really quick so i just run that while were travelling for aanhour which exercises the gen too.

I also fitted a petrol webasto heater - i added it intt the existing ducting as the gas one struggled to get the vehicle really warm. and its better on fuel saves keeping filling up with lpg. It sits in the double floor where the water pipes all run which means it should stop stuff freezing - but i didnt remove the lpg heater as to be honest i need them both running.

sounds a great prject who is doing it? keep us posted and send photos

RRV

Subscriber
sounds awesome. I fitted a victron quattro /450 amp hrs of lithiums to our's and its spot on. Links to the generator to start it automatically to save the lithium batteries from going completely splat. I fitted a 120v unit and a auto former which means i still have dual voltage which i guess your getting rid of.
I havent needed solar as the batteries last and the generator charges them really quick so i just run that while were travelling for aanhour which exercises the gen too.

I also fitted a petrol webasto heater - i added it intt the existing ducting as the gas one struggled to get the vehicle really warm. and its better on fuel saves keeping filling up with lpg. It sits in the double floor where the water pipes all run which means it should stop stuff freezing - but i didnt remove the lpg heater as to be honest i need them both running.

sounds a great prject who is doing it? keep us posted and send photos
Sounds very similar - the webasto stuff is being ducted throughout the rv including the front driver / passenger area and windscreen de-misting - so no more cold feet :)
The pipes will run along the chassis inside the lockers so we’ll get some residual heat in the lockers , which will be good.

I will have a 120v 5000w victron quattro left after this and a victron bmv720 battery monitor If anyone’s interested - long story !!!

paul&debra

Subscriber
Well if anyone is interested I’ve just booked in my rv for a new 230v victron electric system and a new webasto heating system with the installation of a new microwave and possibly a new Compressor fridge conversion and possibly a new 230v 6kw lpg generator to complete the system :)

The victron system will run a 5kw inverter charged by the solar panels that Adi brilliantly installed with 4 new lithium batteries and a complete overhaul of the internal electrics which will HOPEFULLY simplify the electrics and bring it all up to modern standards.

The webasto system will replace all the Blown air gas heaters and the water tank. This will work by providing full bus heating from the engine, when we’re driving along, and diesel when camped up - the water will heat from the engine when it’s running, or diesel if we have the heating on or it’s got a 700w electric heating element which will run off the inverter :) - the water tank will hold hot water for over 24 hours and is super efficient

We’re looking into the fridge to see if it can be converted into a compressor type and I’ll let you know what we find out.

The lpg generator will replace the existing Onan 7500w diesel genny and probably save about a ton in weight. It will also provide power at 230v and will be integrated into the Victron electric system And will auto start according to the set up that’s configured to charge up the batteries should they need to.

This means we’ll have constant hot water, heating which is linked to the diesel tank (much easier to find diesel than lpg - and its about 6 times bigger) - the advantages of lithium batteries and more than enough electric supply to wild camp for months :) and full central heating - we even get a heated towel rail - yeah!

And then when this lock down is finally over we’ll head off into the sunset again :)

If I get any updates Or photos of the installation I’ll Post them :) and update stuff as we go if anyone’s interested

Once all this is complete I’m likely to have 2 gas blown air heaters - 1 10gallon water tank - 1 Atwood gas / Elec water heater - 1 1200w 12v to 230v inverter - 1 1500w 12v to 230v inverter and a 7500 w Onan diesel generator

If anyone is in need of any of the above let me know :)
And an empty Bank Account. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

RV Neal

Subscriber
Now that sounds like an RV project to end all projects. It also sounds a tad expensive! I've heard about these set-ups (eg jaynadjen) but have never seen one. I would love to have proper "guided tour" around one that explains everything.

I'm too poor and simple to undertake this level of modification but the engineer in me (or is it just plain nosey?) would love to find out all about it.

RRV

Subscriber
And an empty Bank Account. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Well one thing for sure I’ll have spent more on RRV than I’ll ever get back if I ever sold her :) - but that’s not the point - I’m not sure what the point is - but thats Not it ! Lol

Also I think this is what makes us human - we do things and we constantly want to evolve and improve - I’m just expressing this need and desire through RRV - and if you believe that you’ll believe anything lol

jayandjen

Subscriber
Sounds very similar - the webasto stuff is being ducted throughout the rv including the front driver / passenger area and windscreen de-misting - so no more cold feet :)
The pipes will run along the chassis inside the lockers so we’ll get some residual heat in the lockers , which will be good.

I will have a 120v 5000w victron quattro left after this and a victron bmv720 battery monitor If anyone’s interested - long story !!!
That 120 ? 5kw quattro will make someone good use - ours is the same model - runs everything with ease. 2 inputs with auto transfer switch .The power assist is really useful , just for stuff like in the winter running electric heating up to the supply amperage then when you use the microwave not tripping the post..
Will look forward to seeing it come on

jayandjen

Subscriber
Now that sounds like an RV project to end all projects. It also sounds a tad expensive! I've heard about these set-ups (eg jaynadjen) but have never seen one. I would love to have proper "guided tour" around one that explains everything.

I'm too poor and simple to undertake this level of modification but the engineer in me (or is it just plain nosey?) would love to find out all about it.
Honestly the victron stuff is really easy to install once you get your head around it but when you know what your trying to achieve you do that anyway. Much of it is designed to work alongside each other and there is some great schematics online and even some good videos to guide you. - there is 3 videos of this a campervan type installation. this will show you a bit about the stuff but its an old video series.
heres an example of a complete system - its not that complex if you follow the wires honest https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quattro-5KW-120VAC-12VDC-600Ah-Li-VEBus-BMS-generator-MPPT-BMV-CCGX-Orion-Tr-Smarts.pdf

Yes it isn,t cheap but i have fitted ours and it has worked very well. I will send you some photos if i remember when were away next weekend :)))))))

RV Neal

Subscriber
Honestly the victron stuff is really easy to install once you get your head around it but when you know what your trying to achieve you do that anyway. Much of it is designed to work alongside each other and there is some great schematics online and even some good videos to guide you. - there is 3 videos of this a campervan type installation. this will show you a bit about the stuff but its an old video series.
heres an example of a complete system - its not that complex if you follow the wires honest https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quattro-5KW-120VAC-12VDC-600Ah-Li-VEBus-BMS-generator-MPPT-BMV-CCGX-Orion-Tr-Smarts.pdf

Yes it isn,t cheap but i have fitted ours and it has worked very well. I will send you some photos if i remember when were away next weekend :)))))))
Thanks Guys, I would like to see some photos. I used to deliver Victron AGM batteries to South East Coast Ambulance Service in my last temporary job. They were the heaviest batteries by size I have ever delivered!