OH DEAR

Daybreaker

Subscriber
According to Caravan and motorhome club magazine Ive been doing it all wrong.
A frame makes the car a trailer so needs reflective triangles also do not attach "On Tow Sign"

Hmm how about "TOW CAR" that might be correct.

Answers please on a postcard to

MR Toad
Toad Hall
Village Pond
RIB 8IT

(see that neat number plate trick?)

chatter

Subscriber
mmm ive seen a toad somewhere with a rear screen message with pic of motorhome and toad - the message read 'Im pushing it as fast as I can.

Thinking about it, it could of been on Geos' mini mpv

paul&debra

Subscriber
Trying to get out of cobham services on the M25, a car flashed to let me out. Then tried to get between the back of the RV and the front of the Toad, as he thought the cheeky little car was trying to push out as well. I went and bought magnetic signs for both doors saying on tow. To stop it happening again, so sod the silly rules.

We have a full width plate which slots onto towhitch on toad which has long Vehs signs, Rv number plate with light and a centre sign with "Tow Car" as was told not to put "On Tow" onto it.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Yes that is correct Dave, if you have on tow you will be done by the police must be TOW CAR.
daft as it sounds you would be better off not having anything on the tow vehicle.
must have warning triangles tho.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Trying to get out of cobham services on the M25, a car flashed to let me out. Then tried to get between the back of the RV and the front of the Toad, as he thought the cheeky little car was trying to push out as well. I went and bought magnetic signs for both doors saying on tow. To stop it happening again, so sod the silly rules.
good idea like that.

tacr2man

Subscriber
The tow car sign is not legislated , the triangles also need to be removed when vehicle not being towed as a trailer. Rear marker boards not technically legal below 7.5tonne , although highly unlikely any action will be taken .

Daybreaker

Subscriber
WHAT? triangles on toad. Blooming elmers not enough space for all that.What I need is one of those rotating led signs you see in shop windows saying "OPEN". It could say "Toad in Action", "On Tow", "Tow Car", then display flashing triangles, and Police follow this Toad for good measure. Good job I'm not an ARAB it would then say "Camels TOAD"

OOOEEERRR MISSSUS;)

stunette

Subscriber
So, do I need to change my plate on the back for 'Tow Car' from 'On Tow' or not..

DSCN1059.JPG

Make your mind up someone.....

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Being a bit pedantic but to me a "Tow car" is a vehicle that is towing something, if it were to say "Towed car" it would make more sense. I get that it needs the triangle reflectors as they are a legal requirement for trailers, if it were me, I'd feel happier with an "On Tow" sign on the back & each side, regardless of the law at least it would lessen the chance of some numpty trying to get in the gap. I had someone try that once when towing a trailer with a car on it, it didn’t end well for them.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Can't see the point (nor the legal necessity) of displaying "Tow Car" on the rear of a Toad. I don't display "Trailer" on the rear of my trailer when towing that!!:worried:
There is no legal requirement other than triangles.
If you want to put "ON tow" or "Tow Car" or "Ice Creams for sale stop me and buy one" that's up to individual choice.: The triangles show it is a trailer and therefore on tow !

motor roamin

Subscriber
WHAT? triangles on toad. Blooming elmers not enough space for all that.What I need is one of those rotating led signs you see in shop windows saying "OPEN". It could say "Toad in Action", "On Tow", "Tow Car", then display flashing triangles, and Police follow this Toad for good measure. Good job I'm not an ARAB it would then say "Camels TOAD"

OOOEEERRR MISSSUS;)
Toblerone triangles (y)