Not welcome in Wales

paul&debra

Subscriber
This is the answer I got, when writing to complain that wales is issuing fines for overnight stops. And perhaps they might consider setting up some kind of Aire. After receiving the reply, I did point out. If they provided facilities for rubbish and toilet waste. They might not get these problems, although I of course do not condone that kind of behaviour.

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority isn’t in a position to over-ride Welsh law, which states that wild camping (be it in a tent or a motorhome) is not legal anywhere in Wales without the landowner’s permission. As the Park Authority owns only a small fraction of land within the Park boundaries, it wouldn’t be within our scope to grant permission for motorhomes to set up camp on land owned by others. Sadly, our latest press release became necessary after a number of unfortunate wild camping related episodes, including rubbish left at beauty spots, emergency vehicle access problems on narrow Pembrokeshire roads and waste tanks from motorhomes being emptied directly into the sea. A key part of our Covid-19 tourism response strategy is to focus on allowing nature to continue thriving as it has under lockdown. As you can imagine, incidents like the ones listed above put a strain on our ability to do this. I wish you all the best with your trip to the continent, and hope that in future you’ll consider some of the excellent campsites that Pembrokeshire has to offer.

Yours sincerely, Kate Gravell Swyddog Cyfathrebu / Communications Officer

grumpy

Subscriber
Excuse my ignorance Paul but why were you writing to complain about people doing illegal acts, ie wild camping where their not supposed to and leaving all their shit behind.
you can still park in lay-byes and services as with lorries legally.
in my humble opinion the police and Council officials should have powers to issue immediate Spot fines maybe £1000, Mimimum, with seizing/ impounding of vehicle ( as has been the case in France for years) until fine paid !
it’s the same in Scotland where wild camping,usually with owners permission has always been the case.
there is a video somewhere on tube of a camper van parked 1/2 on and 1/2 off the Road on the A9( Inverness to Wick) with His AWNING UP. The police were there as the arctics couldn’t get passed, joke.

it is only recently it has been rescinded because of the “ few” tossers as usual spoiling it for everyone.

we need to make examples, And get some sort of discipline back otherwise the wetbacks have won then its anarchy, then maybe people will then take notice, rules are there for a reason !!!
going to take a pill, sorry but makes my blood boil
grumpy

paul&debra

Subscriber
No problem with fines for blocking access or roads, no problem with fines for littering, no problem for fines for dumping shit. But that was all their very clever reply to my complaint, that they were fining camper vans , for sleeping in lay byes and car parks overnight. They just made it clear, illegal to overnight anywhere in Wales, unless on a camp site.

MikeyRV

Subscriber
I blame @MikeyRV .................. ;):giggle:
Cheers mate .......The problem was when the welsh minister gave the welsh freedoms to go out and about and the English to come into wales, the campsites were not open for tents and touring parks were open but with no facilities so the dim wits who can’t read thought they could just park up anywhere etc and leave all there shite about for someone else to pick up. The same as all over the U.K. it’s the few that spoil it for everyone. I am with Grumpy in this one hit where it hurts, a big fine.

motor roamin

Subscriber
I must admit (not just wild camping) seeing the TV and all the crap that people are leaving behind them just beggars belief, I was always taught if there isn't a bin take your bloody rubbish home, I am with all of you for large fines and enforce them, some people are totally ignorant I am sure they don't do it at home or do they, but as Paul said don't tar everyone with the same brush, having marshalled many rv meets I have very little if any rubbish to pick up afterwards as our members tend to always leave the area clean and tidy as if we havn't been there apart from a patch of yellowing grass where the awning mat was, so as a marshal thanks to our members.

grumpy

Subscriber
No problem with fines for blocking access or roads, no problem with fines for littering, no problem for fines for dumping shit. But that was all their very clever reply to my complaint, that they were fining camper vans , for sleeping in lay byes and car parks overnight. They just made it clear, illegal to overnight anywhere in Wales, unless on a camp site.
Okay got it,
So unless your stuck broken down or just tired no parking.
Your the lawman, so unless services where they charge, industrial shopping areas, industrial estates, not public road, so no jurisdiction ?0

paul&debra

Subscriber
Okay got it,
So unless your stuck broken down or just tired no parking.
Your the lawman, so unless services where they charge, industrial shopping areas, industrial estates, not public road, so no jurisdiction ?0
But if you haven't got the land owners permission ?

lee and sheryl

Subscriber
We wild camp a lot and all over the uk from John o groats to lands end and have never left even a sweet wrapper. We take our rubbish with us and then stop at a camp.site every few days to get rid of waste and fill up with water. The main reason we dont go book in to sites is we dont like a schedule, with no booking we go at the pace we want never in a rush to get anywhere. When we do go in to a site its normally a last min booking.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Oi... Don't bring me into it..!! I'm not going to be the one that says anything about you leaving things behind... Just because you leave bits on the road & not in laybys is besides the point..! :*
I don’t leave bits on the road anymore I send wifey back to collect them. With a high viz jacket and a flashing amber light on her head she’s taken as a highway maintenance vehicle And avoids being prosecuted for walking on the motorways. I also give her an armful of traffic cones for added authenticity

Landy Lover

Subscriber
always worked to the country code

• Be safe - plan ahead and follow any signs
  • Leave gates and property as you find them
  • Protect plants and animals, and take your litter home
  • Keep dogs under close control
  • Consider other people
We live in the country and see regular destruction and dumping by the public. Recently caught a couple with a dog breaking down a neighbours fence and hedgerow to gain access to a field. The gate was 30 metres further up the road but that was too far and they couldn't care less that there was no official footpath in that field the footpath was 2 fields over and there was a flock of sheep in the field.