NorCold Refrigerator Problems

Dundiving

Subscriber
Hi Everybody in RV Land,...Techy Question regarding a 'Norcold' 602 2 way Fridge/Freezer fitted to my 1992 Safari Trek (i am assuming it is the original Unit)
Works fine on 110v Electric, but on Gas, the igniter works, flame lights, but is switched off after 10-15 seconds. I have fitted a new Thermocouple and the tip is in the correct position (glowing cherry red). All other gas appliances are working fine, and the LPG tank is 60% full. Try lighting the fridge before i drive to a camp site....not working (try numerous times) get on site and 'Hey-Presto' it lights and works a treat. Tried it the other day and the usual 'pop' when the solenoid shuts. Good spark. Drove 3 miles to top up with diesel, came back to the storage site and it worked fine for the next 10 days touring ! I have made sure the RV is Level just incase there is an 'out of level' limit switch.
Any Idea's ????

Daybreaker

Subscriber
No such thing as an out of level switch I think, are you on hookup is electric on campsite? Thermocouple usually shuts gas valve down when no flame detected. You say new one fitted. Have you bent the thermocouple wire to tightly ie radius?
This can make them even if new fail sometimes gas valve itself faulty but usually thermocouple problem

Dundiving

Subscriber
Thermocouple was already bent to correct position.....Currently in a storage yard, so no hookup available

paul&debra

Subscriber
Check the flue is clear, they often fill with rust and crap, even birds sometimes. That will make it keep going out, and maybe after a bit of driving you shift some detritus.

Dundiving

Subscriber
Hi, thanks for your input...Flue is clear.....the flame does not Go 'Out', it is Switched off by the gas solenoid valve (and does so with a clunk).

Dundiving

Subscriber
Hi, that would make sense, as there is only a single cable to the Igniter, but the new part is described as a 'thermocouple. I will go back to Cammila today and check the model number as the book that came with her is for Norcold
Err your thermocouple is probably your spark igniter???
I thought it was a combined Igniter/thermocouple
models 662,682, 663 &683

Dundiving

Subscriber
Hi, that would make sense, as there is only a single cable to the Igniter, but the new part is described as a 'thermocouple. I will go back to Cammila today and check the model number as the book that came with her is for Norcold models 662,682, 663 &683
Hi, that would make sense, as there is only a single cable to the Igniter, but the new part is described as a 'thermocouple. I will go back to Cammila today and check the model number as the book that came with her is for Norcold

I thought it was a combined Igniter/thermocouple
models 662,682, 663 &683
Don't know what happened to the text there, just jumped off the page and into another post....see below reply

Damondunc

Trade Member
Yes there is a flame detection system, it works on what is called flame rectification, once you have got this far, if you don't know what this means, don't touch it get it to someone who does know. due to what happened a while ago , when someone did exactly the opposite of what i told him to do, i will not give anyone any advice about the technical working of LPG appliances, sorry to sound unhelpful but this is the way we have to conduct ourselves now.
Dunc.

Dundiving

Subscriber
Hi again thanks for the info...I know exactly what you mean about "don't touch it" Having worked for many years in oil & gas (offshore pipelines & Platforms) involving pressures of up to 20,000 psi and seeing the results of untrained people making catastrophic decisions because "that's the way we have always done it"..Nearly all incidents of loss of life in the middle east are 'Airbrushed' out of the media. The last such incident i Witnessed involved the practice of removing bolts from 'live' pipeline flanges to grease them individually ie Remove one and replace before going on to the next bolt...practiced without incident for years until they came across a flange where most of the bolts were corroded within the flange faces and thus not visible...3 men undid the last remaining 'good' bolt and that was the last time they were seen....just a few body parts spread over a large area ...NOT Reported !

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Similar story sat on Vulcan bogie wheel as safety man. New man in cockpit read service procedure run engines up to 90 percent it meant 1 at a time not all 4 which he did. Well the earth moved for me as it jumped chocks and towed me
By the throat mike across the engine run pan with hot end rapidly trying to overtake me

car1966

Subscriber
Similar story sat on Vulcan bogie wheel as safety man. New man in cockpit read service procedure run engines up to 90 percent it meant 1 at a time not all 4 which he did. Well the earth moved for me as it jumped chocks and towed me
By the throat mike across the engine run pan with hot end rapidly trying to overtake me
I learnt to fire up 1 engine at a time now but it was fun at the time:giggle::giggle: