New Portugal regulations

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Just spotted this, and it's encouraging

I think Mr Martin will be chuffed (y)

RV Neal

Subscriber
Whoop, Whoop..(y)(y)
Unaccustomed as I am for off-road parking amongst natures beautiful viewpoints, I may endeavour to test out this latest ruling in Portugal this winter..:clap:
48 hours?? They gotta find me first...:rofl:
Just out of interest Steve, and because I've seen many a wild camper in southern Spain, how do you get on with filling up with fresh water? And, more importantly, how do you get on dumping the black waste? I'm guessing it's as simple as booking a night or two at a nearby campsite?

98% of the wild campers I've seen are in Euroboxes with tiny cassette toilets. And they seem to not move for weeks on end. I dread to think how they are dealing with their overflowing toilet cassettes!

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Reaction to the proposed new law

Let's hope they fight it to remove the 48 hr rule (y)

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Just out of interest Steve, and because I've seen many a wild camper in southern Spain, how do you get on with filling up with fresh water? And, more importantly, how do you get on dumping the black waste? I'm guessing it's as simple as booking a night or two at a nearby campsite?

98% of the wild campers I've seen are in Euroboxes with tiny cassette toilets. And they seem to not move for weeks on end. I dread to think how they are dealing with their overflowing toilet cassettes!
As you say, I keep things simple and usually when I need fresh water, it is because I have put most of that water into the black and grey tanks, I then book into a campsite for a few days, sample the local delights and spend a bob or two at the local bars. I then drift off to somewhere new.

I have spent lots of time with Euro boxes and PVCs wild camping and most of them dump in a drain or over the hedge. I have tried to explain the benefits of spending some time and money at local campsites but for some, they are either too ignorant or too poor.

Fresh water can be obtained from simple places like graveyards, churches, fuel stations and I have a list in my head of places where you can get water from natural springs with taps.

RV Neal

Subscriber
As you say, I keep things simple and usually when I need fresh water, it is because I have put most of that water into the black and grey tanks, I then book into a campsite for a few days, sample the local delights and spend a bob or two at the local bars. I then drift off to somewhere new.

I have spent lots of time with Euro boxes and PVCs wild camping and most of them dump in a drain or over the hedge. I have tried to explain the benefits of spending some time and money at local campsites but for some, they are either too ignorant or too poor.

Fresh water can be obtained from simple places like graveyards, churches, fuel stations and I have a list in my head of places where you can get water from natural springs with taps.
I have to admit that it does sound like a peaceful and idyllic lifestyle but I've avoided wild camping since we moved into larger (but still small by comparison) RVs. We used to do it frequently years ago; we over-nighted right in the heart of Cheddar Gorge once back in the 80s in a GMC Coachmen mini-rig.

The last 15 years or so I like to set camp, awning and slides out, and relax with a bottle (or two!) of vino tinto. I can do that safe in the knowledge that Mr Plod can't tell me to "move along there" when I'm ensconced on a pitch in a campsite.

jayandjen

Subscriber
I have to admit that it does sound like a peaceful and idyllic lifestyle but I've avoided wild camping since we moved into larger (but still small by comparison) RVs. We used to do it frequently years ago; we over-nighted right in the heart of Cheddar Gorge once back in the 80s in a GMC Coachmen mini-rig.

The last 15 years or so I like to set camp, awning and slides out, and relax with a bottle (or two!) of vino tinto. I can do that safe in the knowledge that Mr Plod can't tell me to "move along there" when I'm ensconced on a pitch in a campsite.
We did cheddar in the coach park a couple of years ago assume still allowed ? Was an awesome night's kip with all the whistling wind and sounds etc

RV Neal

Subscriber
We did cheddar in the coach park a couple of years ago assume still allowed ? Was an awesome night's kip with all the whistling wind and sounds etc
Our bit of wild camping was done in a small lay-by at the side of the road actually in the Gorge itself. We were hard up against the rockface and every "reveller" who drove through the Gorge overnight found it necessary to sound their horn (in case we'd inadvertently fallen asleep!). Grrr!

jayandjen

Subscriber
Our bit of wild camping was done in a small lay-by at the side of the road actually in the Gorge itself. We were hard up against the rockface and every "reveller" who drove through the Gorge overnight found it necessary to sound their horn (in case we'd inadvertently fallen asleep!). Grrr!
Yes! We had that experience too .
The coach park is basically a lay you
But when they stop..