NEW MOT TESTS

Daybreaker

Subscriber
They've added new stuff
1. If any colour smoke coming from a diesel fitted with a particulate filter exhaust ...Fail
2. Oil DRIPPING from a steering box Major.

3 Categories

Dangerous
Major
Minor
Advisory notes to be kept
The vehicle should not be driven from the garage if in a dangerous condition. (road traffic act)
Seems like they want everyone off the roads.

Guess whose RV has a small drip at the steering box?

car1966

Subscriber
They've added new stuff
1. If any colour smoke coming from a diesel fitted with a particulate filter exhaust ...Fail
2. Oil DRIPPING from a steering box Major.

3 Categories

Dangerous
Major
Minor
Advisory notes to be kept
The vehicle should not be driven from the garage if in a dangerous condition. (road traffic act)
Seems like they want everyone off the roads.

Guess whose RV has a small drip at the steering box?[/QUOTE

Yes we know who the drip is driving it so I didn't think that would count :rofl::rofl:

Dodgey

Subscriber
A bodge but, our very first RV many many moons ago had a slight leak, we got some lucas power steering fluid designed to stop such leaks, and it worked. Got it from a yank car parts place in Birmingham, name escapes me just now.

sundowner

Subscriber
If it's a small leak----wash off all around the steering box before the test, you might be able to stall the fix for some time, I have had steering boxes with a small leak for years, they never seem to get worse (maybe they ran out of fluid!!!!!!)

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I read it as it has to be literally dripping out when running & if it leaves a puddle over 75mm (3 inches in old money) in a certain time then it's a fail, if it's just a weep or a few drops when parked up you'll be fine.

tacr2man

Subscriber
If its an active drip then its a major (so fail) if its the 75mm then its prohibition (if HGV test)
Don't use the lucas or other stop leaks as they work by swelling seals so only a temp fix , and leaks like hell after that . If its small then can of brake clean and rag to dry off just before test , works unless active drip .

e)
Steering box
:
(i)
leaking oil Minor
(ii)
leaking to the extent
that oil is dripping Major

dentaldave

When does this new set of regs come into force.
The only reason I ask is that two weeks ago the mot got a pass and I have led dipped fitted. Admittedly you cannot see the bulbs as the lens masks them.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
There's no mention of led headlamps in the regs, new or old, just references aftermarket hid units, it's intended to stop the replacement of halogen bulbs with hid units which don't work with standard headlights as the light pattern is usually terrible & blinds oncoming traffic.
I have retrofit hid projectors on my truck which are dot approved spec in the USA, although they were custom built with left hand dip (they have an angled cut off rather than completely flat) they have passed the UK mot for the last few years, will be interesting to see how they interpret the regs next year.