Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
new to RVing, 13 yrs motorhoming
We are considering doing this towards the end of the summer holidays, so the of Last week of August, with a stop in Orkney and back down the at the start of September.
We have seen that this was ok in an RV, but reading more recent posts in various places it seems that it has become a very busy route (also taking account of the time of year we are looking at ), and now really not advised in an RV or even large motorhome.

Has anyone done this recently?

The benefit of the wisdom of others on this would be very much appreciated.

Gareth62

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 290KS
RV Experience
A lot more than I had in Feb 2018 when I had none.
We are doing a five week tour of Scotland we where going to do the 500 but now making our own route
We are taking the RV and the transit, using the transit to run around in
We are also taking in Orkney, but that’s going to be a 5am start 90 mile drive from camp to get the 8am ferry we did look at the bus tour but that was much the same price for the five of us and we wouldn’t get the freedom of having our own vehicle over there to go where we wanted to go.

Just make sure you have planned your route and pre-booked everything you want to see we are finding that everything is getting fully booked and most things are booking only and getting booked fast.

We wanted to do the Glenfinnan viaduct but even at around £70 a ticket it was fully booked (we could get 5 seats but all dotted around the train and not together.) and being pulled by a diesel train so as we had done it before we booked the local service at around £7 a ticket

errpaul

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Winnebago Journey
RV Experience
new to RVing, 13 yrs motorhoming
We are doing a five week tour of Scotland we where going to do the 500 but now making our own route
We are taking the RV and the transit, using the transit to run around in
We are also taking in Orkney, but that’s going to be a 5am start 90 mile drive from camp to get the 8am ferry we did look at the bus tour but that was much the same price for the five of us and we wouldn’t get the freedom of having our own vehicle over there to go where we wanted to go.

Just make sure you have planned your route and pre-booked everything you want to see we are finding that everything is getting fully booked and most things are booking only and getting booked fast.

We wanted to do the Glenfinnan viaduct but even at around £70 a ticket it was fully booked (we could get 5 seats but all dotted around the train and not together.) and being pulled by a diesel train so as we had done it before we booked the local service at around £7 a ticket
When are you doing your tour?
The Glenfinnan Viaduct is on our list to do, but didn't realise it was that expensive (especially as there are 4 of us), so will research the alternative.

We may cut some bits out due to time, but there are very few roads or route options up there.

Gareth62

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 290KS
RV Experience
When are you doing your tour?
The Glenfinnan Viaduct is on our list to do, but didn't realise it was that expensive (especially as there are 4 of us), so will research the alternative.

We may cut some bits out due to time, but there are very few roads or route options up there.
I’m sure that’s what the other half said but going on ScotRail was a lot cheaper starting 28th July for five weeks

Gareth62

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 290KS
RV Experience
Just had a quick look for single seat during aug and sept and no places found a seat in Oct for £49AB9D9BA5-5E14-452F-B862-9313E5F8FB9B.png

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Fleetwood Eagle 40
RV Experience
We did the NC500 3 couples in 3 cars didnt take RV or caravans this time early june
5 days
glasgow to Strathpeffer Applecross,Gairloch,Durness, Thurso ,dingwall
the route we took seen loads of small m /Homes no RVs and i for one would not go up there in my RV
its just not suitable for them small Rvs yesi fyour carefull
and prebook everything we had beautiful weather and went before the midges we out and about
i have done the Orkneys you must see the Italian chapel and scapa Flow
also done the steam train to Mallaig thats worth the money day trip leave the Rv in Fort william and do the dsay trip go 1st class its worth it you get a few hours in mallaig and them back to F William
best of luck apart from the SNP Scotlands not that bad at all

Back