MOT in the morning!

PAJ

Subscriber
RV going for MOT in the morning! Got it as ready as I can. We'll see!
A question please - there is no foot operated parking brake, just a yellow pull/push button. Is this normal? Can it be tested on a rolling road as normal? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Mine got stuck on the rolling road. And they used the old fashioned thing on the floor to test the brakes. Dont let them use the rolling road to test the park brake. As it grips on the propshaft

paul&debra

Subscriber
Rolling Road is OK if it locks. If they can't lock the rollers they are just the wrong size for our tyres. As you try to pull away, the rollers spin. Just tell him it has park on the gearbox and the foot brake on the propshaft, it doesn't need checking

adi4

Subscriber
Paul.
Whatever you do, under no circumstances put the handbrake on while the vehicle is moving, or in MOT brake rollers.
At best you will rip the brake shoes off the back plate at worse you will rip the whole assembly off the back of the gearbox..
Good luck with the MOT
Regards
Adrian

PAJ

Subscriber
Paul.
Whatever you do, under no circumstances put the handbrake on while the vehicle is moving, or in MOT brake rollers.
At best you will rip the brake shoes off the back plate at worse you will rip the whole assembly off the back of the gearbox..
Good luck with the MOT
Regards
Adrian
How would you stop in an emergency with the electric brake? Thanks.

RV Neal

Subscriber
If you have a yellow push button I would assume you have air brakes in which case they will be on the rear wheels not the prop.
The yellow button thing is a Chevy-style parking brake. There's no air brakes, it operates the prop shaft brake via a servo. When I first saw one many years ago I thought "what a neat idea" but I have heard that it causes more problems than it solves!

motor roamin

Subscriber
The yellow button thing is a Chevy-style parking brake. There's no air brakes, it operates the prop shaft brake via a servo. When I first saw one many years ago I thought "what a neat idea" but I have heard that it causes more problems than it solves!
There you go you learn something new every day didn't know they were operated with a button, prop brakes are nightmare and so easy to damage and bloody expensive when you do.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
I got an upgraded prop kit green and brown switch plus relay. These are the most troublesome parts of the system as when they fail you ain’t going anywhere happened twice to me worth the extra pennies for peace of mind

PAJ

Subscriber
I got an upgraded prop kit green and brown switch plus relay. These are the most troublesome parts of the system as when they fail you ain’t going anywhere happened twice to me worth the extra pennies for peace of mind
Is this on a P32? Is it a straightforward upgrade? How is it better? Do these things fail to 'brake on' or 'brake off'? thanks.

PAJ

Subscriber
Thinking about the problems people are having with the prop brake failing and locking on, is there an emergency roadside fix that can be done? Would be good to know if far away! Thanks.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
You can crawl under and disconnect the cable but then you won’t have a handbrake. We had to carry chocks with us till it got repaired not recommended on anything other than a slight gradient. Actually happened to us 3 times. So very dodgy. These new upgrades have been tested to a million operations.
Peace of mind is precious with Rvs . I freaked out in Scotland when the engine cut out and the handbrake was temporarily disconnected on a hill I had to keep foot on brake while praying it would restart. If not 999