Maximum Train Length

Elvis

I know about weights and all that jazz, but is there a maximum length of RV + trailer with a C+E licence?

elitegsp

Subscriber
So at 19 mtrs with my trailer does that make me over the LEGAL limit
if so I will have to look at somehow reducing the length of the trailer

paul&debra

Subscriber
So at 19 mtrs with my trailer does that make me over the LEGAL limit
if so I will have to look at somehow reducing the length of the trailer
I don't know, I was just reading the Gov website. But you might need to reduce the RV by 250mm :giggle::giggle:

motor roamin

Subscriber
Comes under the same rules as a drawbar unit (wagon & drag) 18.75 mtrs, as poacher stated over that length you come under S.T. G. O. max length if memory serves me right 27.5 mtrs

tacr2man

Subscriber
You can possibly shorten the trailer , and let the load overhang which is OK :)

There is a big UK car delivery firm that does continental and if its a wagon and drag unit and they get pulled for a check in Switzerland they always get fined for being too long

motor roamin

Subscriber
It was a car trailer I was thinking about.

So I need a trailer that can take 2.5 tonnes and is less than 6.9m long.
First thing I would check is the max towing capacity of your southwind I have a feeling that it may be only 5,000lb which is 2,268kg so a 2500kg GVW trailer would be over weight, if the tow bar is 10,000lb then you would be in, depending what car you are putting on there are some good sized car trailers that gross at 2,250kg, 18.75 mtrs overall length RV & trailer is the max legal length this does include the A frame of the trailer which some people will have you believe it doesn't, if you need to talk about it feel free to call me 0797 475 8989

Elvis

Ahhh looks like I need to change my settings I've now got a 99' Monaco Windsor, with more than enough spare train weight (18700Kg GCWR)

tacr2man

Subscriber
With a 99 windsor 39'8" ? that would be 6.66mtr trailer to stay within
18.75 . They have a 10000lb hitch so trailer gross isnt a problem other than 3500kg limit with tow ball and non active brakes (overrun not air) .
With the length thing its the combination that is the length limit , not the load . This means that with the correct design of trailer and dependent on vehicle on trailer you could have a small amount of overhang that does not come into the reckoning . HTSH