M.O.T. problem with my RV

Paul Michael

Subscriber
Hi all.

I wanted to share this on here because I think it will definitely happen to someone else, very soon.

I had a quote of £240.00 from mobile RV to M.O.T. my Daymon Daybreak and I thought that was too much so I attempted it myself.

I found an M.O.T. station who cater fro larger vehicles, close to where I store my RV in Shefford, near Baldock. (£54.00)

The RV failed the M.O.T. on both headlights being too far to the right and the tester said they could interfere with oncoming traffic as I drive along.

I told him that if they did interfere with anyone, I would have definitely had other drivers flash me to tell me that my lights were dazzling them and I haven't had any!

He explained that the new M.O.T. laws came into effect on 20th May 2018 and they now have to use a new machine that puts a red dot in the middle of your headlight bulb and they measure it from there to get an accurate reading.

When he told me that both of my headlights were too far to the right, I adjusted them both over to the left as far as the adjusters would allow me but he said they were still too far to the right and failed it.

He then said " I would imagine that if you get the black headlight strips from a car accessory shop like people do when they drive overseas, that would suffice"

I took the failure sheet and left the garage and returned within the hour with the headlight deflector strips as suggested.

Unfortunately, it didn't work, they were still not to his liking!

He told me that I would most probably have to have the headlight brackets changed so they could be adjusted more.

I wasn't happy with that and asked to speak to the manager and said that I think the tester is wrong to fail it as it is a 2007 vehicle and it has passed on the headlights every year. Surely they can't expect you to change the headlight brackets!

The manager went away and got some of the new rules and regs out, came back and said that I was right to complain and question the tester because there are three different guidelines for American vehicles that have had their headlights changed over like this one and the tester was using the wrong chart.

Basically, the tester was treating it the same as a UK car or lorry and that was incorrect.

He then made out a pass certificate and apologised to me.

Just imagine if I didn't question his decision and went away and paid to have new brackets fitted to hold the headlights etc.

Phew!

Last edited:

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Never had a problem with mine in fact last but one mot the examiner said they aint ever ever ever going to dazzle anyone:D wonder what the new stricter mot will show up. Anyone here had a test since then?

Trekkin

Good information and Glad you got it sorted, seems you do have to pick your MOT station carefully, as there are a few stories where the requirements seem to be lost in translation.

We are loosing MOT stations at a rate around here and those that are left are adding Lane charges to the class 4 MOT, we get the privilege of paying £60 ministry lane hire on top of the std fee....but at least they appear to be RV friendly

Paul Michael

Subscriber
wouldn't it have been cheaper to let Steve put it through the mot than all that hassle time and labour works out the same
The added problem was that Steve said they now have to leave the RV's at their M.O.T. tester and collect it the next day!
This would have added another £200.00 to the cost of the M.O.T. making it £450.00 in total and I got it done for £54.00 instead.

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
This year tester (have been there before) questioned the size of the number plates - American size.. After I said that it passed the IVA like this he reluctantly passed it but gave me a VOSA sheet on number plate and lettering sizes. Watch out for this one chaps and chapesses !!

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
This year tester (have been there before) questioned the size of the number plates - American size.. After I said that it passed the IVA like this he reluctantly passed it but gave me a VOSA sheet on number plate and lettering sizes. Watch out for this one chaps and chapesses !!
Perhaps he should read it himself, imported vehicles are allowed to have smaller number plates, 12" × 6" with motorcycle sized digits.

motor roamin

Subscriber
This has gone on for years MOT inspectors not knowing the rules, I have had more discussions over the years than a few and not just on American vehicles, I now have two different testing stations I use for class 4 both are very sensible and understand the rules, never been charged a lane fee on class 4 mot but loads of times on trucks and that is becoming the norm now as more ATF's than DVSA test sites around.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Good information and Glad you got it sorted, seems you do have to pick your MOT station carefully, as there are a few stories where the requirements seem to be lost in translation.

We are loosing MOT stations at a rate around here and those that are left are adding Lane charges to the class 4 MOT, we get the privilege of paying £60 ministry lane hire on top of the std fee....but at least they appear to be RV friendly
You need to contact DVSA regarding lane fee , as that is for HGV tests, Class4 test has a maximum charge of £54.85 and that includes the lane /equipment used for the test. :)

Ruff Nomads

I think you did a good job and thanks for sharing the information. Always good to be armed with this stuff as the testers to be fair are bombarded with new stuff all the time that only sinks in on vehicles they see every day.
As for paying someone else to drive it to an MOT. That’s not going to happen for nothing. Ok if your local mechanic is MOT centre too but why would anyone expect a mechanic not to charge for his time to drive it for you.
Good post. Thanks very much.