Lpg tanks

sundowner

Subscriber
I am sorry but I am another diesel heater convert-------we have just bought one for our new, to us motorhome!!!
You are obviously set on keeping the original heating and I can fully understand that---- but like snowbird we have had a lot of campers ( including 5ers) over a few years and know how much gas and 12volt a standard blow heater uses!.
A gas fire is a good lounge heater but will not keep belly lockers from freezing.
I do understand you, but at least give diesel some thought before you spend a lot on new gas tank

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
Have a look at the link ... in the kit we fitted, it had a hose we can use to supply a BBQ. Once the brass fitting has been connected to your gas line it stays in place and you just need to connect the relevant hose for what need ..i.e. Gas bottle feed for your RV or BBQ feed from your onboard RV LPG tank.

sundowner

Subscriber
Some people use a bbq point to connect a lpg cylinder to the caravan instead of plugging a bbq in, I have a feeling the extend a stay and using the bbq point to gas up a leisure vehicle would be in breach of U.K. regulations, so can’t go that route :(
We used to do exactly that--- but it means having a gas bottle standing outside--- not possible when wild camping I think

paul&debra

Subscriber
We have an extend a stay, just somewhere in front of the lpg isolation valve to connect a propane bottle. In the winter, we have run the heating off 54 kilo bottles all the time. Beats having to move to fill on board tanks. And can get them delivered via gottle.co.uk to anywhere in the country.

Pedro1122

Subscriber
Some people use a bbq point to connect a lpg cylinder to the caravan instead of plugging a bbq in, I have a feeling the extend a stay and using the bbq point to gas up a leisure vehicle would be in breach of U.K. regulations, so can’t go that route :(
Google, extendastay rv kit. I use one all the time in Twin Lakes, France. Nothing to do with a bbq as the gas goes through your usual regulator. I also have a 4kw Planar diesel heater. Go for the diesel heater! I had mine fitted as I'm a bit thick when it comes to fitting things (unless you just plug it in)! (y)

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Just been doing comparisons between caravan lpg heating systems for gas consumption,
When compared with other U.K. caravan systems the 35,000 btu furnace in our fiver uses very similar weights of lpg per hour, in fact our furnace compares very favourably, our furnace consumption is better than the wet Alde system comparing manufacturers notes, btu for btu, so I’m more than happy with that.
Now on with sorting a lpg tank :)

NeilandJo

Subscriber
We are waiting for our first safefill cylinder to run out of gas, there was 2 inches of gas in it yesterday morning, we have cooked and run the heating, it still hasn’t run out :) we arrived on site on 19th December and cracked open a freshly filled cylinder, can’t believe it’s still going, even our motorhome used a cylinder a week

Last edited:

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Bad day yesterday, had to change the gas cylinder over :( anyway, it lasted 13 nights :) think that it done well seeing as people have said it would last 24 hours. The outside temperature has been around -3 to 2 c for the most part.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Do you not have an automatic changeover regulator? It saves having to go out in the cold until it suits.....
I was looking at tanks & stuff here yesterday, gives you some options.

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Do you not have an automatic changeover regulator? It saves having to go out in the cold until it suits.....
I was looking at tanks & stuff here yesterday, gives you some options.
no changeover valve at the moment, though I have one waiting to be fitted,
Yes, been looking at the lpg shop website, looks interesting, and interest free credit too, allways good to use someone else’s money if it’s interest free :)
Thanks Rob.

car1966

Subscriber
It's not just the gas but the battery power as the furnace is power hungry we was stuck in Burgos on our way to warmer parts and only had gas heating and use a 11k bottle in 3 days plus had to run the Genny for at least 3hours a day just to keep the battery's top up it was foggy most of the time no sun to top up the battery's
That's one of the reason of fitting the diesel heater plus a lot quieter and more battery friendly, but your choice in the end, they may have made you furnace more efficient as it is new. ours is about 5years old hope this helps

NeilandJo

Subscriber
It's not just the gas but the battery power as the furnace is power hungry we was stuck in Burgos on our way to warmer parts and only had gas heating and use a 11k bottle in 3 days plus had to run the Genny for at least 3hours a day just to keep the battery's top up it was foggy most of the time no sun to top up the battery's
That's one of the reason of fitting the diesel heater plus a lot quieter and more battery friendly, but your choice in the end, they may have made you furnace more efficient as it is new. ours is about 5years old hope this helps
We have 2x rolls 6v 450ah batteries and 640w of solar, and just in case we also have an lpg Honda 2200 genny, think we will be fine :) the heating draws approx 6 amps.

Taffy on tour

Subscriber
Have a look at the link ... in the kit we fitted, it had a hose we can use to supply a BBQ. Once the brass fitting has been connected to your gas line it stays in place and you just need to connect the relevant hose for what need ..i.e. Gas bottle feed for your RV or BBQ feed from your onboard RV LPG tank.
be aware that the bbq supply from. An American extend a stay is designed to work on an American bbq as the gas is not regulated through the pipe feeding the bbq American bbq’s have a regulator fitted to them at the point where the pipe connects to it