Lpg tanks

NeilandJo

Subscriber
We have now collected our new Eurocruiser, we are away for 15 nights, we are on our 3rd day away and have used half a safefill cylinder of gas, about 6l.
So we are considering having a lpg tank fitted, looking at 120l tank, has anyone else fitted an lpg tank to their fiver?

snowbird

Subscriber
I presume you will be using the gas heating system at this time of year, so that is where all the gas is going. Consider a diesel heater for heat and the gas and batteries will last much longer. Also, you should have enough change from fitting the diesel heater as opposed to an LPG tank to buy another gas bottle.

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Yes, we are using the gas heating, we have 3 safefill cylinders,
I don’t want a diesel heater, more fuel to cart around somewhere, so would involve fitting a fuel tank anyway, I’ll stick with what is fitted already.

car1966

Subscriber
There is a place near thirsk think its auto gas they do tanks and fitting,
We allso do off grid camping that's why we went for diesel heater, lot quieter and doesn't use a lot of battery like the gas , I have 4x 100w solar panels and two 280 amp Trojan 6v batteries and never flatten them with the diesel heater, but dont leave it on at night, like the gas heater,

NeilandJo

Subscriber
We have gasit in north wales, they manufacture the tanks etc,
We have 640w solar and 2x 450ah rolls 6v batteries, along with a battery management system, I don’t think we will drain them in a hurry, the heating in the camper only runs a few minutes per hour, so it’s not a huge drain on the batteries.

will see how things progress.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Have you got an extend-a-stay? Then you can use an external gas cylinder, most suppliers will exchange cylinders for different sizes, so if you're somewhere for a long time you could get a 47kg which is just over 90 litres. I simply changed one of the hoses from the regulator to a 2m hose so that I can use the larger cylinders in the winter.
Some sites are a bit funny about free standing cylinders though, gas is also cheaper buying 47kg, I'm paying under £50 or was a couple of months ago, I'll find out if it's changed soon.....

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Have you got an extend-a-stay? Then you can use an external gas cylinder, most suppliers will exchange cylinders for different sizes, so if you're somewhere for a long time you could get a 47kg which is just over 90 litres. I simply changed one of the hoses from the regulator to a 2m hose so that I can use the larger cylinders in the winter.
Some sites are a bit funny about free standing cylinders though, gas is also cheaper buying 47kg, I'm paying under £50 or was a couple of months ago, I'll find out if it's changed soon.....
we do a lot of da camping, they don’t allow cylinders over 13kgs so can’t use them. :(

snowbird

Subscriber
Just for reference I run a 30ft 3 slide fiver at the present time. We used to do trips of no less than 90 days at a time. We use a mixture of stellplatz, aires and campsites sometimes with, sometimes without hookup. I have 2 gas lockers built in, each holding a 13 kg bottle. Before fitting the diesel heater when not on hookup and during coldish weather I used a bottle every 7 days. Since fitting the diesel heater a bottle lasts between 18 and 22 days. Admittedly, this was in late summer in Germany, but I would expect similar in winter as the fridge freezer would not require as much gas. My 400 watt solar array and 400 amp battery bank handles everything indefinitely, but after over 20 years of RVing I know for a fact that if I relied on LPG for my heating requirements I would be wearing thermals after a few days of cold weather with no sun.

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Sounds like your telling us what your doing not asking advice
I asked advice, people have discussed what they do, and what they use, it’s been informative, but in some cases the suggestions don’t comply with C&CC rules, so unfortunately we can not go that route,
There is an option of replacing the electric heater with a truma gas fire which would use less gas,
So still looking at the options, could end up buying some thermals :)

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Just for reference I run a 30ft 3 slide fiver at the present time. We used to do trips of no less than 90 days at a time. We use a mixture of stellplatz, aires and campsites sometimes with, sometimes without hookup. I have 2 gas lockers built in, each holding a 13 kg bottle. Before fitting the diesel heater when not on hookup and during coldish weather I used a bottle every 7 days. Since fitting the diesel heater a bottle lasts between 18 and 22 days. Admittedly, this was in late summer in Germany, but I would expect similar in winter as the fridge freezer would not require as much gas. My 400 watt solar array and 400 amp battery bank handles everything indefinitely, but after over 20 years of RVing I know for a fact that if I relied on LPG for my heating requirements I would be wearing thermals after a few days of cold weather with no sun.
we currently use safefill cylinders, 22l costs about £10.60 the diesel heaters use .64l an hour the gas heater uses about 1l per hour (according to manufacturers and users) so at this point I don’t see much difference in cost between diesel and gas running costs, having said that, it depends how far the room stat is cranked up, we have our heating set at 18 degrees c at the moment.

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Some people use a bbq point to connect a lpg cylinder to the caravan instead of plugging a bbq in, I have a feeling the extend a stay and using the bbq point to gas up a leisure vehicle would be in breach of U.K. regulations, so can’t go that route :(