LPG REFILLING

Sammy

Subscriber
Hi, can anyone offer advice on refilling LPG. Refilling for the 1st time, I understand release valve should be open whilst filling, but should it be hissing and smell gas, not sure if this is safe!! Also does full on the gauge indicate 80% full. Cheers

Paul Michael

Subscriber
Hi ya, yes it will hiss and smell of gas, that's normal.

Most people don't open that valve but I do.

I think the manual says keep the valve open until liquid comes spurting out, then you know you are full.

You should only fill to 80% and no more for safety purposes.

David&Rhona

Subscriber
Hi, can anyone offer advice on refilling LPG. Refilling for the 1st time, I understand release valve should be open whilst filling, but should it be hissing and smell gas, not sure if this is safe!! Also does full on the gauge indicate 80% full. Cheers
You have to open the valve and let the air out first. If you don't it will be full of air.

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
In a previous van when I filled LPG .. when filling to full on the gauge it was 80% of the nominal tank capacity - the filler cuts off automatically when it reached the "cut off" pressure, and I only smelt gas when disconnecting the filler. Hope that helps !

Sammy

Subscriber
Thanks everyone, as a newbie just need to double check. You guys are so helpful, we've had our class c for 2 years now and for one reason or another not had one road trip.....apart from MOT and a couple of runs up the road to get the wheels turning. Hopefully next year if this Covid does one we can start to venture out and with you guys and your library of knowledge, we feel much more confident to do so. Thanks everyone so glad we joined

Jimbo99

Subscriber
I assuming you are filling a portable gas bottle with a relief valve you are correct to loosen the valve and close once the gas starts to come out the bottle is upto 80% and ready to use do not continue to fill you have filled it with liquid lpg there is no air in an lpg bottle

Paul Michael

Subscriber
Hi Sammy.

There is a video on the American Motorhome Club (AMC) Facebook page today about filling the LPG tanks.

It shows the bleed valve that you were talking about hissing when full.

(y)(y)

David&Rhona

Subscriber
Air shouldn't be able to get in, unless you have a leak. The liquid is under pressure so will fill with liquid and expand into gas as you take it off. I have never opened the valve in 8 years.
You always should open the bleeder valve and let the air out before filling. We have been told this by the propane people who have been schooled how to fill these tanks. Some states require a license to fill them.
If you don't bleed the tank first you get less propane. We don't know how the air accumulates in them. The bleeder valve is there on the motorhome tanks for that reason to get rid of excess air. It can take as much as a half hour to bleed it off. Travel trailer tanks have a screw on the side of the shut off valve.

David&Rhona

Subscriber
Possibly more of a problem in hotter climates. Like Texas and Florida. A really hot day here is 30c, I don't think the gas ever gets warm enough to cause a problem.
Our class C back in the 70's did fill all the way up. This is OK in Winter or a cooler climate area, but I think if we had been in Texas then it would have been dangerous.

David&Rhona

Subscriber
Air shouldn't be able to get in, unless you have a leak. The liquid is under pressure so will fill with liquid and expand into gas as you take it off. I have never opened the valve in 8 years.
Our summers are in triple digits. Our generator was a propane generator. We had the AC on all night and ran out of propane because of this. The AC in these temps really suck up the propane. If you have an appliance on board that automatically tries to ignite, that brings air in to the tank. We did not know this and did not know that the AC used so much propane. Everyday is a learning curve in this world for us. :D:D

RV Neal

Subscriber
Back in the early 80s I used to fill my propane tank without opening the bleed valve (it has a proper name but I can't remember it!). One time the pump didn't shut off at 80% fill and I ended up with liquid propane seeping out of my hob burners!. I just had to let propane escape from the tank until it would gas. For the next few years I ALWAYS opened this valve when filling but, for the last 20-odd years I have filled without opening it. I guess modern, sensitive pumps will always shut off at 80% fill. Or perhaps newer tanks have more reliable shut-off valves in them?

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
I found this info, which explains the system very well. I think it is a good idea to use the bleed valve when you read the article.