LPG Cylinders

WK57ABF

Are there any travel trailer/5th wheel owners out there who use American cylinders (Worthington, etc.)?

We have the bayonet adaptor and can fill the cylinders at the smaller independent garages but the multi-nationals just won't allow us to fill them.

I am in the process of attaching a permanent fill point on the trailer chassis and running a pipe to the cylinder shut off valve. That will allow me to fill up without removing the bottles and, therefore, comply with the rules that don't permit the filling of portable lpg cylinders.

However, after filling up, there would be liquid propane in the pipe between the remote fill point and the cylinder shut off valve. I have to remove this pipe in order to reconnect the bottle feed to the trailer.

Anyone know of a quick way to bleed off the liquid propane remaining in the remote fill pipe (about 3' of 1/4" bore pipe)?

Are there any travel trailer/5th wheel owners out there who use American cylinders (Worthington, etc.)?

We have the bayonet adaptor and can fill the cylinders at the smaller independent garages but the multi-nationals just won't allow us to fill them.

I am in the process of attaching a permanent fill point on the trailer chassis and running a pipe to the cylinder shut off valve. That will allow me to fill up without removing the bottles and, therefore, comply with the rules that don't permit the filling of portable lpg cylinders.

However, after filling up, there would be liquid propane in the pipe between the remote fill point and the cylinder shut off valve. I have to remove this pipe in order to reconnect the bottle feed to the trailer.

Anyone know of a quick way to bleed off the liquid propane remaining in the remote fill pipe (about 3' of 1/4" bore pipe)?
I would suggest you get an authorised fitter to look at it if you do a DIY job and there is a problem or a fire god forbid you could end up in trouble
LPG is not to be messed around with. its can give freez burns and blows up if there is a spark

Olley

Subscriber
Hi I would fit a gas cock to the bulkhead next to the cylinders, and use a short length of high pressure hose from it to the cylinders.

LPG expands around 270 times from liquid to gas at atmospheric pressure, so 3' of 1/4" pipe will give a fair bit of gas.

Olley

Last edited:

WK57ABF

Apologies for late reply - have been off forum for a while

motorhomelover : I got the pipes & fittings from an authorised dealer, who said I would be OK with my proposed set up, however, I am concerned at the amount of liquid to bleed off.

Olly : think I will fit the valve you suggest and leave the liquid in the pipe, just bleeding off the small amount from the valve to the cylinder. Good idea.

John

vwalan

Subscriber
you can get stainless hose from BES they are only about 7-10 quid they do all the taps etc they also do the handturn fittings .35inch pigtail assembly with a handturn is only 5.20. they regularly have good deals on lots things that fit in with m,homing /rv. as for filling bottles i put the adaptor on the bottle before hand .get to filling station and open gas locker door before they know it mines full go and pay. never been challenged .think you have been unlucky. cheers alan.

WK57ABF

Alan,

Thanks for info on fittings. Yes, we have been unlucky but never take the truck & trailer (over 48' long) to fill bottles in situ. Always lash cylinders in the truck bed when we want them filled.

Went to a garage this Thursday, where we have always filled our cylinders - "sorry mate, ........ Gas has told us not to fill customers' refillable cylinders. If you do so you would invalidate your insurance if there was an accident". That's why I want to fit a remote fill, although manoeuvring on forecourts is going to be a problem at some filling stations.

Cheers, John

Last edited:

WK57ABF

Alan,

These are the fittings I'm using for a remote fill on each side of the trailer "A" frame with the addition of a shut off valve, as Olley suggested, just before the POL fitting. Unfortunately I have to disconnect after filling as the cylinders only have one filling/withdrawal connection.

John

Attachments

vwalan

Subscriber
can you not just fit a bulkhead filla point to the truck put the bottle inside. it would just look like you are running lpg as fuel. must be enough space somewhere . its only a game they play. if its a tank its only a bottle on its side. i think i would do it just to spite them .hee hee . cheers alan.

vwalan

Subscriber
yes i understand exactly the question and the answer .olley got back to you before me. have never understood why so many dont fit a remote . i keep saying i,l do it on my trailer but i may fit a t fitting then the line can stay fitted to bottle all the time. must say i spend alot of winter in spain or maroc and its cheaper there to just change bottles . a spanish bottle sees me through portugal .if not i use the maroc. they are all refillable as far as i,m concerned.

tarphenry

Hi there, would it not be possible to fit a *T* in the line close to the bottle,and use 1 valved outlet to supply your truck,thhe other valved outlet to the filler nozzle. Close supply ,open fill,fill,close fill,open supply Would that not satisfy your needs. the gas in the pipe would remain there till you refilled. Hopr this helps.

Olley

Subscriber
You need to be very careful how you pipe up any permanent arrangement, if for instance you simply inserted a "T" in the pipe inbetween the regulator and the bottle, you would likely have liquid gas going into the regulator as you filled the bottle, that would very dangerous.

Its the reason all fixed domestic tank installations have separate fillers. Taking my example above; you would need to ensure any pipework after the "T" was vertically above to bottle so the liquid gas would drain into the bottle, however on small bore pipes its likely you would get an air lock, and the liquid would remain in the pipe.

Personally I don't see a safe way to achieve a permanent connection. The system you are using now seems to me the best that can be achieved.

Olley

WK57ABF

can you not just fit a bulkhead filla point to the truck put the bottle inside. it would just look like you are running lpg as fuel. must be enough space somewhere . its only a game they play. if its a tank its only a bottle on its side. i think i would do it just to spite them .hee hee . cheers alan.
Yes - thought of that originally but just can't bring myself to attack my truck with a hole saw to fit remote filler!!! Maybe when it gets a few dings & scrapes.

tarphenry - that would be a lot of fittings and would still have to disconnect as there are two cylinders on the trailer. Going to keep it simple and just put one valve near the bottles, as Olley suggested, and can leave gas in pipe till next refill.

John