LPG conversion

coling1965

Hi everyone, we have recently purchased our c class Dodge sportsman marque rv with the 360 engine. Naturally she is a thirsty girl and when we can afford it we would like to have the conversion to lpg done enabling us to get a few more miles for our pennies lol. We live in Sunderland, would anyone know of a good company up this way that could do this for us. Thanks

Frank550

LPG does work out cheaper on refills for sure. Have you worked out roughly the costs (I believe this may be anything between 2 and 4k depending on who, what kit and what engine etc. I looked at converting mine (V10 Ford Triton) and realised I would need to do something like 20000 miles to recoup the cost. For me the benefit would purely be making the vehicle more attractive to any prospective buyer.

I do feel envious when I could fill here in France for about 75c a litre against 1.45 for unleaded.

The only people up north I know who do conversions are Autogas2000 at Carlton Miniott near Thirsk (short run for you down the A19!!!)

paul&debra

Subscriber
As frank says, you need to weigh cost of conversion against initial outlay. My V10 Ford will do about 350 miles on 225 litres of Gas. So on Motorway driving I get about 14 miles to a Gallon on Gas. Gas costs around £2.76 per gallon, so on average Gas prices it costs me about 20p per mile.
Petrol at the moment has gone down to around £1.29 per litre so about £5.09 per Gallon but I do get slightly more miles per gallon on petrol of around 17 , so on petrol it costs about 30p per mile so a saving of 10p per mile using gas or 1/3 cheaper.
Now lets assume a conversion cost of around £2,900.00 you will claw your money back after about 29,000 Miles. But you will have a few hundred pounds Gas system service costs to add in there. So actually about 32,000 miles, but what is more difficult to quantify is any additional value of the vehicle when it comes time to sell, or a speedier sale.:):):):) Not sure during an insomnia attack I should be working all this out.:):)

paul&debra

Subscriber
Would like to add to this thread, My works Van is a Citroen Relay Long wheelbase High roof. On a Motorway we get about 24 miles to the Gallon according to the trip, and we do not carry heavy loads. So it costs around 21p per mile, now add a coach built body for a Motorhome and all that extra weight, I bet our Euro box owners do not get much more than us to the Gallon.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
ive done 20,000 miles in the last 3 yrs so glad its lpg already but if it hadn't been it would now be paying me back if I had had it done when I bought it.

coling1965

Thanks guys, some great input there, I was hoping to get it done for around 1200 to 1500 pounds based on limited knowledge of others I had seen quoted on v8 range rovers a few years ago. I am just trying to weigh up my best options to make it a little less costly to run. Don't get me wrong I have had lots of yank tanks in the past such as trans ams, camaro's etc and wasnt expecting thirty mpg lol but would like to bring it up a notch or two. Roughly assessing from the bring it home run from chichester to Sunderland approx 350 miles I put in 170 pound and used it all plus whatever the seller had left in there. We did a little run at the weekend about 140 miles round trip and I put in 100 pound from very empty, roughly guessing from what the gauge is showing to what miles we did I what say around 20 to 25 pounds left in the tank. At the current rate I dont think she is achieving the 14 mpg the blogs I have read say she should. Its not she is a big old girl she is only 19ft long and seven wide and a sprightly 3.7 ton. I wonder as someone on a forum in the states suggested it may be worth while changing to a holley carb which are supposed to be far better for cold starting. I also have a small leak from either a manifold or down pipe which you hear as a small tick. She smells a little rich too. I suppose I should take s look at all these things along with a good winter service to see how much improvement I get. If anyone knows of a helpful knowledgeable person to advise me on the correct carb/ set up I would be grateful. Thanks again guys for helping out a newbie, we will make her beautiful again.

Dodgey

Subscriber
Can't advise really on the carb but our first RV was a brougham coach on the Dodge Sportsman chassis cab, 360 motor and a 1977. Cold starting was horrendous from the getgo, slight improvment with a card rebuild and later a manuel choke conversion but basically the carb was past it's best. Did get a replacment but changed RV before I could fit. 13mpg was the best we got, hot running was spot on. Ours too had the manifold tick, did the gaskets but realised the real problem was the lower center mating face had rotted away, exhaust putty helped but refacing or replacment was really required. Had alot of fun with that old girl, got us totally hooked on RVs and RVing. 8 lug nuts, if yours is I discovered the chassis was generally discribed as heavy duty, this stopped wrong parts turning up, I did a full front end rebuild, and was amazed every bolt undid and was in good order at at that point she was 29 years old! I expected several days faffing but the whole lot was done in a day, including painting the wishbones.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an lgp conversion, enjoy as she is just stop at every petrol station :)

Have fun and enjoy!

larryh

Subscriber
If you buy a diesel car for better economy do you consider the extra cost over a petrol version , I doubt it, it's part of the capital cost.

Our RV is now four years old on the Ford Triton and had it converted from the beginning at a cost of £3200 which I see as part of the capital cost.
It now has 22,000 ish on the clock, have I recovered the cost, I don't care, all I know is that at every fill up in UK, or Spain France etc it costs roughly half for the fuel, that feels good.
Also bear in mind that when selling , that conversion will help (y)

I would however consider the age of the power unit and if there is any risk of valve seat recession and extra later costs as a result.

Hi there.
Can't really advise on the LPG per se but I was in the hunt for that vehicle when it was up for sale.
I did a fair bit of research on the 360 and it seems they do benefit from a good service, carb overhaul and decent electronic ignition upgrade etc.
I looked into a diy lpg option whilst I was "watching" it and it's possible if you are handy with the spanners and have a bit of technical know how.
Might be an option for you ??
How is the old girl anyway, I was sorely tempted.

coling1965

[
Hi there.
Can't really advise on the LPG per se but I was in the hunt for that vehicle when it was up for sale.
I did a fair bit of research on the 360 and it seems they do benefit from a good service, carb overhaul and decent electronic ignition upgrade etc.
I looked into a diy lpg option whilst I was "watching" it and it's possible if you are handy with the spanners and have a bit of technical know how.
Hi there.
Hi mate, she I
E="kennyrodgers, post: 180422, member: 3698"]Hi there.
How is the old girl anyway, I was sorely tempted.[/QUOTE]
She I
="Dodgey, post: 180400, member: 1787"]Can't advise really on the carb but our first RV was a brougham coach on the Dodge Sportsman chassis cab, 360 motor and a 1977. Cold starting was horrendous from the getgo, slight improvment with a card rebuild and later a manuel choke conversion but basically the carb was past it's best. Did get a replacment but changed RV before I could fit. 13mpg was the best we got, hot running was spot on. Ours too had the manifold tick, did the gaskets but realised the real problem was the lower center mating face had rotted away, exhaust putty helped but refacing or replacment was really required. Had alot of fun with that old girl, got us totally hooked on RVs and RVing. 8 lug nuts, if yours is I discovered the chassis was generally discribed as heavy duty, this stopped wrong parts turning up, I did a full front end rebuild, and was amazed every bolt undid and was in good order at at that point she was 29 years old! I expected several days faffing but the whole lot was done in a day, including painting the wishbones.

Personally I wouldn't bother with an lgp conversion, enjoy as she is just stop at every petrol station :)

Have fun and enjoy![/QUOTE]
Intere

coling1965

Hi all, thanks again for all the advice, I shall do the service bits etc and get her up to top notch and then see where we go from there. She is great, really pleased we got her. The interior is superb with all the dark wood and turned pieces etc. A few little things to change to get her spot on but they can all be done over time, there is nothing pressing and we are gonna keep her. She is very usable as she is and will only get better and she came at a good price :) I am laid up this week with post surgery problems which is driving me mad ss I want to get out there and tinker.

Result !!
From the pics I thought the interior looked great, some very nice touches.
Hope you're up and about soon. Looking to get our first RV, hopefully before the month's out, the tinkering is what I'm looking forward to most.
Sad eh.
:cool:

Nixon24

Hi I'm from the North East there is a place in Blaydon that fit lpg I've just had my V10 serviced it's called Berwick mobility . I just been to Spain and I was getting about 19 MPG if you compare against petrol prices

coling1965

Thanks for that, I will have a chat with the guys in Blaydon to see what they think, I am getting back and am starting to potter and make a start on the list of improvements I have bought lots of bits to do.

Hi I've ave bought a dodge sportsman 1978. This one has a 440 v8 in here starts first time when cold she is running a 4 barrel webber carb. I've heard holloys are quite thirsty?:think:

Last edited: