LP Gas fill up

chrisaxe21

Hi

I need to fill up with LP Gas. Where can you do this?

My travel trailer has two cylinders in the front. It's got an auto changer so when tank 1 is empty it changes to tank 2 so to fill up I'll need to remove it all to get out the tanks.

Or...should i leave the tanks where they are and fill them up, ie tow the trailer to a station?

Cheers

chrisaxe21

Thanks folks

Got one from eBay. Nothing on Amazon, which is generally my 1st port of call. Need to ring Bezos to sort it out!

chrisaxe21

Just realised...that adapter is my first purchase for the trailer. Not as glamarous as I was expecting a first purchase to be, but crucial nonetheless.

Here's to gas!

Gareth62

Subscriber
Anyone hoping to fill up at Potters on the A5 between Lutterworth and Nuneaton will be out of luck the other week I saw a sign saying no gas to further notice as under new management

sundowner

Subscriber
So, do you still have the white US bottles fitted????? If so it is a different thread to English propane bottles. But they do have 'overfill protection' so you cannot overfill them like most bottles, no need to measure what you put in and it is ok the top up a non empty bottle. It is getting more difficult to fill any bottles now. So work on getting gas when you can.
I used to put the bottles in a locker with a pipe going to a gas filling point fixed to the outside of the camper------ the forecourt staff didn't know we were filling a bottle!!
Are your bottles standing up or laying down when being used in the trailer????? If laying down they must be stood up to fill, ours were laying down so we had to remove them to refill!!!
Our present van has a fitted tank so we don't have those issues now. When staying put for a long time we fit a local bottle to the BBQ point until we go out to refill the tank!

chrisaxe21

Yeah white tanks that are stood up at the front on the A frame. I've got an adapter on order so will be able to fill up at uk stations.

I called the local BP and Shell garages and they didn't fill me with confidence so I may just drive around with the tanks in the back of the car and see which garages are ok to fill up.

Failing that, may find a local LPG conversion place and see if they can help.

What's involved with changing everything over to gas? I guess it's a complete refit of such things like water heater, cooker, etc but let me know if poss.

Cheers!

car1966

Subscriber
I have a uk gas filler on the front of the fiver and two refillable gas bottles fasten in the front locker 11 kg these are pipe up to the filler plus euro adaptors if you type in auto gas you will find Company's that fit them

Ok This may seem strange to ask But, They are refillable bottles on your trailer ?

Many if all garages selling lpg in the UK will not fill bottles, also if they see you filling bottles which are not correct and not properly fitted to a veh you could cause a problem.

Europe is mostly fine with filling bottles as with Oz. But that does not help you at this moment in time.

chrisaxe21

Ok This may seem strange to ask But, They are refillable bottles on your trailer ?

Many if all garages selling lpg in the UK will not fill bottles, also if they see you filling bottles which are not correct and not properly fitted to a veh you could cause a problem.

Europe is mostly fine with filling bottles as with Oz. But that does not help you at this moment in time.
Yeah they are refillable bottles.

Thanks for the advice. I'd much rather refill them safely and without any issues at a station.

What are the realistic options to refill them in the uk?

chrisaxe21

I have a uk gas filler on the front of the fiver and two refillable gas bottles fasten in the front locker 11 kg these are pipe up to the filler plus euro adaptors if you type in auto gas you will find Company's that fit them
Have you any pics? Do you swap over the pipes for a fill up?

Yeah they are refillable bottles.

Thanks for the advice. I'd much rather refill them safely and without any issues at a station.

What are the realistic options to refill them in the uk?

They need to be attached to a veh. Have safety valves if they are refillable. Unsure if anything else if bottles are outside of veh, ie on A Frame.

Could you not ask they guy you bought the Travel Trailer off, how he filled them and if they had fittings for europe/UK.

chrisaxe21

They need to be attached to a veh. Have safety valves if they are refillable. Unsure if anything else if bottles are outside of veh, ie on A Frame.

Could you not ask they guy you bought the Travel Trailer off, how he filled them and if they had fittings for europe/UK.
All he said was to look for LPG conversion places to refill.

I've done some reading and found this site with a map showing approved places that can refill bottles so I'll give a couple a call tomorrow

https://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Categories/Cylinders/Where_to_Fill