Locked inside our RV

Paul Michael

Subscriber
Hi all,

After a long drive home yesterday arriving at the storage yard where we keep our RV, the door slammed and the lock was broken.

We couldn't get out of the RV (No drivers door!)

I climbed out of a window and hung down and dropped to the floor. It didn't do my spine of hip problem any good at all!

I got my ladder out of a locker and climbed back in with my tools but still couldn't open the door. After trying for quite a long time, I had no alternative but to help my wife climb out out the window and down the ladder. (Not a thing we want to do in out 60's with our health problems!)

I went back today and managed to get the door open and the lock off the door.

The closing strike latch has snapped and the latch was stuck in the closed position.

I have now seen earlier posts about the same problem and wish I had read them before this happened and it could have saved all this aggravation.

A new lock is currently:-
£174.00 (inc delivery) from Mobile RV~
£201.20 (plus delivery) from Sta Spangled Spanner
£170.00 (pus £10.00 delivery) from RV spares.

It's crazy to have to buy a new complete lock when it is just a small metal latch that has broken.

As this same issue must has happened to hundreds of people in the past, does anyone know if I can buy just the steel latch please?

If someone has had one made, please share where from etc.

For everyone else who hasn't had this problem yet, Don't let your door slam! In fact, Open the handle, which makes the strike latch go inside the lock. close the door, and then let the handle go so the latch comes back out and into the latch plate. This striker latch is badly made and is very weak!

Thanks

Paul

paul&debra

Subscriber
Tonypenny has had one repaired, drop him a pm and he could point you in the right direction for repair. Mine always manages to break when we need to use the RV. Usually end up closing and opening the door by the dead bolt.

onan

Subscriber
Just make sure you don't get locked inside a locker.

I was very lucky as I saw the door start to shut after a wind gust. It made me consider if the locker could be opened from the inside. The answer was "No".

Before you ask, I have to be inside the locker to work on the water pump.

pete&deb176

The aluminium latch pin broke on my lock. I had a mould made, cast some in brass. It did the job a bit tricky to fit but ok. Cheaper than a new one.

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
Just make sure you don't get locked inside a locker.

I was very lucky as I saw the door start to shut after a wind gust. It made me consider if the locker could be opened from the inside. The answer was "No".

Before you ask, I have to be inside the locker to work on the water pump.
Teresa .. was that true ???????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!