Life on the road

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Roads are quiet Merv and we did stay on the main/toll roads.
Best advice is don't believe everything you hear/read on social media as there is a lot of misinformation out there trying to hype up the issues where there are none.
A lot of people said the borders are closed but there are hundreds if not thousands of motorhomes/RVs trying to get home and if the truth was told, NO country wants us as we add to their hospital issue so they are glad to see us go and will not stop us going home.
We are after all British and everything is solved with a nice cup of tea...(y)(y)

jenmelmar

Subscriber
You can make your way home - on one is being stopped from going back to the uk.

All the police we’ve spoken to are absolutely find when we say we’re on our way home and catching a ferry from Dieppe

The spainish / French boarder had a few very polite French police who were fine - certainly happy to let us go on our way without any hassle

So please don’t over think this as it really is fine to go home if you want too.

The only thing we haven’t tried yet is the ferry so we’ll let you know how we get on there but I. Sure it’ll be fine

Good news is the roads are soooo quiet

If you want to get home just do it and stay on the motorways and tolls
Thanks for that information and nice to hear police are not giving drivers any problem. We feel totally safe here as it is a very quiet & isolted village, so we are happy to stay until we leave for our ferry booked from Santander on 2nd May. Just hope that will still run as we have an MOT booked with James at Empire RV's in May so need to get back then ;)

MikeyRV

Subscriber
Roads are quiet Merv and we did stay on the main/toll roads.
Best advice is don't believe everything you hear/read on social media as there is a lot of misinformation out there trying to hype up the issues where there are none.
A lot of people said the borders are closed but there are hundreds if not thousands of motorhomes/RVs trying to get home and if the truth was told, NO country wants us as we add to their hospital issue so they are glad to see us go and will not stop us going home.
We are after all British and everything is solved with a nice cup of tea...(y)(y)
Everything solved with a cup of tea. You got it wrong mate. Everything solved with a pint of Guinness. Stay safe. (y)

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
We'll bless me! Just turned up at twin lakes and there's Steve & John sharing a small can of Guinness, while Angie & Tina cater to their every whim (not!).

We were late arriving here and are knackered after 1400km drive in 2 days, but happy to see their familiar and friendly faces. We feel a social gathering, from a distance of course, might be on the cards mañana :clap:

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Goooooooooood morning from Twin Lakes, a safe haven in France.
Owned by an English couple who intend to keep it open as long as possible.
5 RVs here and great to see Merv n Sandra make it here.
Tony, they have plenty of room here and expecting you.
Room for about 30 RVs here.
Intermarche only letting one person in at a time but appears there is plenty of food as French people are smarter than British people and don't panic buy.
€130 euro fine if you don't have the French travel form
€130 euro fine even if you have the wrong date on the form.
Lots of folk say just turn up at any ferry port / Chunnel and they will fit you on the ferry/train as they have space. (Please form an orderly queue)

jenmelmar

Subscriber
Can't get home tried every possible way, it's a bad situation, may cost us everything we have
Well, we are also still in Spain on lock down. We feel secure in a small village away from everyone. We have a ferry booking from Santander for May 2nd. We can't see any reason why we should try to rush back to UK, which is also on lock down, and meet many more people than we are here. The ferry date may be changed but although the weather at the moment is heavy rain-it is better than rushing back to UK unecessarily. I think it is just a suggestion UK nationals return home?

Steve Martin

Subscriber
You are very fortunate to be able to decide to stay where you are but for many of us the decision to return to UK was made for us by the fact that campsites closed and everyone was told to leave from their campsites in Spain and Portugal, so it is not a case of rushing back but no one wants us in their countries to possibly add to the hospital beds. I would rather be sat in the sun than be in the UK with all the excellent weather and issues now facing UK. No doubt we will end up with the virus.
The term 'lock down' implies that you are locked up and not allowed to venture outside when in fact you are still able to visit essential places but to be sensible and not gather in groups to share the virus around.
The borders are open should you wish to travel back to the UK.

RRV

Subscriber
Well that’s got to have been the very worst journey I’ve ever been on.

We sprung a water leak (water pump) about 1000 km ago! Rough guess we’ve had to add over 200 gallons of water via a few 5ltr bottles !! Started off needing to stop every 50-70 km it then the leak got worse to the point yesterday we were stopping every 6 km and putting 10 Ltrs of water in!!!! F’ing stressful

But fortunately for us we had the dulcet tones of steve Martin - assuring us that this WAS’NT a problem haha

We’ve just travelled 130 miles today to get our pump fixed tomorrow - what a horrible horrible journey - but we’re here now and hopefully it’ll be fixed tomorrow - yeah

car1966

Subscriber
Well that’s got to have been the very worst journey I’ve ever been on.

We sprung a water leak (water pump) about 1000 km ago! Rough guess we’ve had to add over 200 gallons of water via a few 5ltr bottles !! Started off needing to stop every 50-70 km it then the leak got worse to the point yesterday we were stopping every 6 km and putting 10 Ltrs of water in!!!! F’ing stressful

But fortunately for us we had the dulcet tones of steve Martin - assuring us that this WAS’NT a problem haha

We’ve just travelled 130 miles today to get our pump fixed tomorrow - what a horrible horrible journey - but we’re here now and hopefully it’ll be fixed tomorrow - yeah
Sorry to here of your tales of woe , but with help from a silky tongue helper you have overcome the advsit:giggle::giggle:
Are you safe in blighty,

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Every problem has a solution and the upside was that John found his warning buzzer for low water works a treat...
Driving from Portugal to UK without instruments like fuel gauge/speedo/trip meter was interesting but I found I can calculate in my head how much fuel I have in the tank in hours driving.
Just like to say how friggin cold the wind is here and can't wait to go back in September ish...