Life on the road

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Latest news is that my good friend Manuel has informed me that he may have to close the site on Monday, so we have made a wise choice on leaving this weekend.
I must stress his decision is not based on 'official government orders' or 'social media influence' but simple his choice.
Please don't use this post to inform everyone "I heard that they are closing every campsite in Europe"
So we are preparing to get on the way with RRV in a desperate attempt to flee Spain in search of toilet rolls.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
We're being turfed out of Camping Roche by 26th as they are closing the site completely. Apparently long stay campers are alright, but this place only has a licence for month by month.

France here we come, may have to book ferry from Calais or Dunkirk as Dieppe is fully booked, also there's a rumour that the IOM ferries might only be taking freight soon.

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Jimbo99

Subscriber
We're being turfed out of Camping Roche by 26th as they are closing the site completely. Apparently long stay campers are alright, but this place only has a licence for month by month.

France here we come, may have to book ferry from Calais or Dunkirk as Dieppe is fully booked, also there's a rumour that the IOM ferries might only be taking freight soon.

Any ideas? :rolleyes:
I thought the borders were now closed to none essential traffic ie holiday makers?

jenmelmar

Subscriber
Well we are still on lock down in Salinas and the police are really strict and no movement allowed apart from one person going to the supermarket/pharmacy/doctors. We have a ferry booked for May 2nd from Santander, so hope we can get there and the ferry will be running by then....

Steve Martin

Subscriber
I was thinking of a couple of hand grenades as that is 100% effective.

We are now sampling the delights of a truck stop on the A23 about 10 hours drive south of Twin Lakes with a little trot around Zaragoza and then down the mountains to the border, fill up with cheap fuel and spend a few days at Twin Lakes as the weather is sunshine all day at 18c from Monday.
Hurry up Merv

paul&debra

Subscriber
Not sure the fuel will be so cheap at the current exchange rate. Diesel around £1.22 per litre back here at the moment. Shame the oil price fall is not going to show as much. With the pound diving against the dollar. No idea why the pound has been singled out, I would have thought the Euro would crash, with spain and Italy both in dire trouble with the virus.

car1966

Subscriber
I was thinking of a couple of hand grenades as that is 100% effective.

We are now sampling the delights of a truck stop on the A23 about 10 hours drive south of Twin Lakes with a little trot around Zaragoza and then down the mountains to the border, fill up with cheap fuel and spend a few days at Twin Lakes as the weather is sunshine all day at 18c from Monday.
Hurry up Merv
Is there room for a little 5er at twin lakes never been befor

chatter

Subscriber
he has a very big field that the big units go on, there are some ehu connections on it, unless things have changed over the years.
Also dont forget there is Parc Verger near Limoges if its still open that is owned now by a couple that used to be on RVOC

Last edited:

RRV

Subscriber
Well we are still on lock down in Salinas and the police are really strict and no movement allowed apart from one person going to the supermarket/pharmacy/doctors. We have a ferry booked for May 2nd from Santander, so hope we can get there and the ferry will be running by then....
You can make your way home - on one is being stopped from going back to the uk.

All the police we’ve spoken to are absolutely find when we say we’re on our way home and catching a ferry from Dieppe

The spainish / French boarder had a few very polite French police who were fine - certainly happy to let us go on our way without any hassle

So please don’t over think this as it really is fine to go home if you want too.

The only thing we haven’t tried yet is the ferry so we’ll let you know how we get on there but I. Sure it’ll be fine

Good news is the roads are soooo quiet

If you want to get home just do it and stay on the motorways and tolls

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Well we are in France on a motorway aire and the fuel at the Spanish side of the border is €1.02.9 and the fuel on the French side of the border is €1.56.
Stopped by Spanish police at Pampalona toll who garbled something and I said "K?"
He replied in perfect English "Where have you come from and where are you going?"
I said "Portugal and I am going to the UK"
He waved us on with a smile.

Stopped by French police at border who garbled something in French and I said
"Awfully sorry old chap but I don't speak French"
He then asked me in perfect English "Where have you come from and where are you going?"
I replied "Spain and I am going to UK"
He waved us on with a "Bon voyage"
No one asked us for any paperwork or passports.

So I will hazard a guess and say that travel on the roads in Spain and France is still possible and that the borders, although guarded by half a dozen police, are still open to those who live in the UK and wish to return to the green pastures of England and the sheep in Wales or the midges in Scotland.

Tony, try an email to Twin Lakes or Parc Verger to see if they have room.

We also saw lots of UK motorhomes all heading out of Spain and spoke to a couple who all said that no one has moved them on once they said they are on their way back to UK.

I can only speak from my experience and that of RRV with us that the roads are quiet with no issues, apart from one Repsol station that had run out of LPG. We did find LPG at another station but on a more serious note we only have 11 toilet rolls left and 29 tins of Guinness...