IVA or not to IVA

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
They're legal on trailers up to 3500kg, measured as the static vertical load imposed on the axles, although the regulations do mention that the controller should be on the trailer & not operated from the cab, it also mentions reaction times but I've done some research on the subject & DVSA have no means of testing that.

sundowner

Subscriber
So
OPs trailer has a gross of 3.8, surely if checked at that weight it would be over, or do they leave it connected to drawbar, I know yank trailers have a heavy drawbar weight, so it would be about half a ton lighter!!??

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
The OP's trailer probably has 3-400kg hitch weight, which keeps it under 3500kg on the axles, I can only assume that when trailers like this are submitted for IVA that the testing stations go by whatever figures are given to them as I've seen a copy of a certificate where the weights just don't stack up.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I honestly don't know, I can't see that they can as the higher end electric brake controllers use "G" sensors & apply hardly any braking when static. It's all a bit hush hush whenever I've asked the dealers anything about this.

chrisaxe21

Subscriber
I would also say that it's so unclear to everyone that even these authorities dont know either, which is certainly the impression I've got from speaking to a few. My advice would be to carry whatever you can find on government websites that could back you up...and in my case the chat text with a direct discussion with DVLA. At least then if VOSA stop you can provide the information there and then.

All the weights of the truck and trailer and gross train weight, etc and if poss even a weightbridge ticket showing the accurate weight.

Also the details of driver's licence categories.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I spent a couple of years trying to research everything before I committed to getting a 5th wheel trailer. I have copies of loads of stuff, some of it contradictory to other stuff, I spoke to a local VOSA officer at our local weighbridge & I've taken my C1+E test so that I don't have the weight restriction. Am I all legal? I'll only ever find out if I get taken to court for something as most of these "rules" are not actually law & only a judge can rule on what they actually mean.

jayandjen

Subscriber
Speaking to Las they said they had never seen a fifth wheel iva tested at a vosa station..... he wasn't sure it was possible.
I think the importers maybe fill a form in with the appropriate numbers to register it and say its iva,d although it hasnt actually seen a iva inspector.
Kind of self certifying.
Gotta be a massive grey area.

Knowing the modifications required to a motorhome bodywork to flush off projections, hide hinges , smooth locks and windows and sharp edges to pass an iva Inspection and the few testing stations I think the chances that dealers take all stock to a physical iva inspection is unlikey.

And there's loads in the rv hire industry.towed mainly by tractor units.

Shame because if my the rv we are in the process of buying in the states could get thro an iva by me writing out a bit of paperwork I,d save a shed load of cash.

chrisaxe21

Subscriber
Ok, I've finally got a response from International Vehicle Standards, Department for Transport.

They have clarified what DVLA advised me (which was incorrect!).

DVLA are CORRECT that travel trailers are not registered. They are INCORRECT that they don't need an IVA. They probably think that because they don't need registering they don't need an IVA. This was poor advice given to me!

This is what the DfT have responded with:

"DVLA are responsible for registration and they are correct that trailers are not registered. They are not responsible for IVA and may have wrongly assumed that vehicles not subject to registration are exempt IVA.

DVSA are responsible for IVA testing."

That clears that up then!