IVA or not to IVA

chrisaxe21

Hi all,

Thought I'd share some information I received after speaking with DVLA about whether my brand new 29ft travel trailer needs to be uk registered and an IVA test completing.

The following is by no means a guarantee or something you can use in the event of a DVLA / DVSA investigation and I would still suggest you personally get clarity on your vehicle too (disclaimer done :):):) )

So, I wanted to know if I need the IVA doing on the trailer. They asked if it was UK registered and wanted the registration number (i.e. XX?? XXX). I explained it's not a car / truck / vehicle like that...it's a caravan, but a 29ft American caravan called a travel trailer. After some time to discuss with a colleague, they then came back and said that there is no legal requirement to get a travel trailer registered in the UK.

"This registration process for trailers isn't something that is actually in force at the moment."

However, after March 2019 it IS a legal requirement...if you're towing it through any country to Spain, Cyprus or Malta.

"It will only need to be registered after this date if you intend to drive them through any other country to reach these destinations- Spain, Cyprus or Malta. If you won't be doing this then the vehicle does not need to be registered."

Therefore no IVA is needed.

"You would only need testing requirements if the vehicle is being registered. As there is no legal requirement to do this, then you do not need an IVA"

If anyone has heard or seen or been told anything different then please feel free to share it.

Chris

tacr2man

Subscriber
I thought the preferred option was going to be registration of commercial trailers over 750kg and non commercial over 3500kg , and only applied to trailers that wanted to go overseas. Is your trailer over 3500kg ?

Description and scale of key monetised costs by ‘main affected groups’
Cost to business
and
private users of large non
-commercial trailers making journeys to the EU
-
familiarisation cost with the new system and time costs incurred completing the registration process(at £7 per trailer
or
around £560,000 in the first year and £56,000 in future years
to all trailer owners in scope); andcost of purchasing a private vehicle number plate and registration fees payable to DVLA
(one-off
registration fee expected to be no more than £28 per trailer and average registration plate cost of £16 from private suppliers totalling an estimated £3.5m in the first year and £0.4m in future years)

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Now ask them to put that in writing, AFAIK all trailers manufacturered after October 2014 require IVA or manufacturers type approval.

chrisaxe21

Now ask them to put that in writing, AFAIK all trailers manufacturered after October 2014 require IVA or manufacturers type approval.
Well, I've saved the live chat with the DVLA agent so as good as it gets really (y)(y)(y)

It's approved by the USAs equivalent to IVA, which is FMVSS so I've read this may be acceptable instead of the IVA. However, don't quote me on that...I read it somewhere.

tacr2man

Subscriber
It depends what you mean by the plated weight , the 3500kg is the maximum weight that it is allowed to be when laden .
Is your 3331kg the MAM (gross weight laden) usa GVWR

chrisaxe21

It's a Travel Trailer. who and where does it state that? Again, I've posted today as I also wondered if it needs a IVA or not

tacr2man

Subscriber
This is 5th wheeler 5th.jpg this is travel trailer(caravan) trtrl.jpg If it is 2nd type what are you towing with as likely its too heavy for tow ball in UK ?

tacr2man

Subscriber
Be careful that is correct , as IIRC the max allowable is 3500kg on a 50mm towball no matter how big a towbar its attached to in UK (EU)

The other factor is what driving license you have ?

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
The most surprising thing I've thought about is, why did the dealer who sold you the travel trailer not IVA it, if it's the dealer that I think it is (north of Boston), they are always banging on about being the only dealer who gets legitimate IVA tests done & how they have to rectify other dealers failings. ......
I recently questioned how they got a particular trailer through IVA when it had a gross weight of nearly 5000kg, they said that as long as it's only 3500kg on the axles it's ok, which is correct but I guarantee that there's 4000kg or more when loaded.

chrisaxe21

I've contacted IVS too so I'll let you know what they come back with. I get the impression noone really knows and when you speak to DVLA, DVSA, VOSA each come back with something different.

sundowner

Subscriber
To go off topic slightly------ supposing we had a ten year old caravan ( or a car trailer) would it need to be registered after march to travel to Spain?????

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
To go off topic slightly------ supposing we had a ten year old caravan ( or a car trailer) would it need to be registered after march to travel to Spain?????
I think that the answer is "no one really knows what will happen" it's all speculation & scaremongering at the moment.