It Fell Out And Now I Don't Know Where It Goes.

shawn&emma

Subscriber
Hopefully that got your attention lol.

Changing the front ball joints on my Ford E450 and once I'd undone everything and lifted the hub of to work on a little wedge fell out, picture attached, now I'm thinking it goes in this collar somewhere but not sure. Can't think where else it could be.

What's your thoughts please?

IMG_2655.JPG

shawn&emma

Subscriber
It's a camber adjustment bush, it's recommended that you mark the position before disassembly, saves having to get the alignment done again afterwards. You might be able to see a shadow to indicate the orientation if you're lucky.
Thanks for replying. The bush itself will only go in one place, it's got a cut out so the ball joint bolt will go through, can't go any other way, it's the little wedge on the right of the bush in the photo.

Thanks

Shawn

shawn&emma

Subscriber
Is there a key way slot for it ? As that's a split ring piece, I would guess it needs a keeway or wedge when reassembled. Have a closer look as you do the other side.
Thanks Paul.
Can't see a keyway. I was working on one side at a time so as you say might find it when I do the other side. Just need to find some blocks to support that side to be able to move the jack.

Can't understand how I missed it when dismantling, and also its very clean so must have been hidden/covered somehow.

Shawn

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Thanks for replying. The bush itself will only go in one place, it's got a cut out so the ball joint bolt will go through, can't go any other way, it's the little wedge on the right of the bush in the photo.

Thanks

Shawn
The bush is eccentric & can be rotated to adjust the camber, the little wedge doesn't look familiar, but I've only worked on mine which is 4wd & some things are different.
Try asking on https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php in the appropriate section, they've always been able to help me when I've needed it.

Rig7941

Subscriber

Changing the front ball joints on my Ford E450 and once I'd undone everything and lifted the hub of to work on a little wedge fell out, picture attached, now I'm thinking it goes in this collar somewhere but not sure. Can't think where else it could be.

View attachment 26742
It hasn’t come out the end of your gamer has it looks like the ones used to titan the stail

shawn&emma

Subscriber
It hasn’t come out the end of your gamer has it looks like the ones used to titan the stail
Thanks for replying. Someone where I've asked the same question on Ford USA Facebook page has only just said the same thing, and you know what it may well be the case. Will check the hammer I'm using at the moment, the way I'm swinging it at the ball joints at the moment I dont think it's that one as the head would have disappeared into orbit but may have come from a previous time when I've done pads,callipers etc.

Shawn

motor roamin

Subscriber
In 50 years of working on vehicles never seen a wedge that shape on steering/suspension apart from on old cart springs.......me thinks the hammer head is about to part company with the shaft though it is an unusual shape for one of those.

Rig7941

Subscriber
Thanks for replying. Someone where I've asked the same question on Ford USA Facebook page has only just said the same thing, and you know what it may well be the case. Will check the hammer I'm using at the moment, the way I'm swinging it at the ball joints at the moment I dont think it's that one as the head would have disappeared into orbit but may have come from a previous time when I've done pads,callipers etc.

Shawn
Some have 2 wedges if big hammer as it’s
Not covers in Greece if it hammers
Put bank in leave in water over night

Rig7941

Subscriber

View attachment 26742
Have you found it yet