Isle of Mull ferry

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Four winds Infinity
RV Experience
Hi all. Calmac who run isle of Mull ferry want to charge me £350 to go on ferry in my 36' infinity.I said it was a disabled access motorhome but they said would charge as commercial.
Not very pleased as site in Tobermory said no problem with my vehicle.
We have found quite a few sites in Scotland that say they can take my Infinity.
:mad::devil:

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
Forest River Sunseeker 3100
RV Experience
Since 2009
Unfortunately they do charge commercial rates over 10 meters. Have you looked at going via Lochaline-Fishnish, if you haven't it would be cheaper.
You could also try ringing there head office and speak to customer services. My own experience with dealings with them though are not customer friendly at all.

Don't just have it and book it as undefeated 10m as they will measure you. I am 9.8m and every time I used the ferry the tape measure came out, they don't miss a trick.

I hope you get a better price sorted as Mull is a fantastic place. Are you taking a motorbike or car ass well? Not all the roads are RV friendly and you'd miss out on a lot of stuff.

Member No
RV Type
Monaco safari trek
Model
Monaco Safari Trek
RV Experience
18 months and loving it!
Planning on this trip later in the year, so pleased we're under 9m as Mull if a fantastic place. Not been with the rv yet and looking forward to it.

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Four winds Infinity
RV Experience
Unfortunately they do charge commercial rates over 10 meters. Have you looked at going via Lochaline-Fishnish, if you haven't it would be cheaper.
You could also try ringing there head office and speak to customer services. My own experience with dealings with them though are not customer friendly at all.

Don't just have it and book it as undefeated 10m as they will measure you. I am 9.8m and every time I used the ferry the tape measure came out, they don't miss a trick.

I hope you get a better price sorted as Mull is a fantastic place. Are you taking a motorbike or car ass well? Not all the roads are RV friendly and you'd miss out on a lot of stuff.
Hi thanks for that.Lochaline ferry is £84 0ne way I found as a commercial.Interestingly to get there we would be using the Coran ferry.I spoke with them today and they said even given the size of my Rv they will take me free of charge as a disabled vehicle.:)
We are staying at Sheiling if we can tie up the car hire for a big enough car.
Thanks again Paul and Anita

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2009
Hi thanks for that.Lochaline ferry is £84 0ne way I found as a commercial.Interestingly to get there we would be using the Coran ferry.I spoke with them today and they said even given the size of my Rv they will take me free of charge as a disabled vehicle.:)
We are staying at Sheiling if we can tie up the car hire for a big enough car.
Thanks again Paul and Anita

Hello Paul and Anita. Im sure you did but have you advised Shielings that you are 36ft? there are only a small number of pitches that would accommodate your vehicle. Best pitches in this order would be 18, 20, 23 is next to the disabled facilities but its sort of split level pitch, 38, 39 and 40 are all long enough but they would take a couple of shunts to get on them, but no problem if you are used to the RV.

Shawn.

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Four winds Infinity
RV Experience
Hi Shawn
Yes did tell her length and she said pitch 38 probably best.We don't have to worry about being near disabled facilities as we have a Wetroom shower onboard.Do you know if they have place to dump.Don't need to be able to drive over but near would be a bonus.If not we are going to quite a few other places.
Paul

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2009
There isn't a drive over black dump, only grey water drive over which you probably wouldn't get onto if the pitch opposite are occupied, but you'd get within about 4meters of it driving parallel on the roadway. You'd get within around 12meters of the black waste point so if you have a macerator there shouldn't be a problem.
If you need to fill up with fresh don't use the designated one on the side of the shower block as its very slow and if you need a lot you'll be there for ever. Theres a more powerful mains tap at the back of the wardens/reception which is just along from pitch 38 so you could fill up from the pitch, just ask in reception first and if you need a hose they should have one available. you've probably seen that theres another site called Fidden farm at the south end of the island. No hookups or designated pitches but loads of space and fantastic views and sandy beach. Single track road for the whole 37 miles but loads of passing places and the tag axle lochs and glens coaches travel backward and forward everyday so no problem.
A hire car will enable you to get round the west side of the island which is to good to miss, and you must go down to Loch Buie.

Shawn.

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Four winds Infinity
RV Experience
There isn't a drive over black dump, only grey water drive over which you probably wouldn't get onto if the pitch opposite are occupied, but you'd get within about 4meters of it driving parallel on the roadway. You'd get within around 12meters of the black waste point so if you have a macerator there shouldn't be a problem.
If you need to fill up with fresh don't use the designated one on the side of the shower block as its very slow and if you need a lot you'll be there for ever. Theres a more powerful mains tap at the back of the wardens/reception which is just along from pitch 38 so you could fill up from the pitch, just ask in reception first and if you need a hose they should have one available. you've probably seen that theres another site called Fidden farm at the south end of the island. No hookups or designated pitches but loads of space and fantastic views and sandy beach. Single track road for the whole 37 miles but loads of passing places and the tag axle lochs and glens coaches travel backward and forward everyday so no problem.
A hire car will enable you to get round the west side of the island which is to good to miss, and you must go down to Loch Buie.

Shawn.
Many thanks for that your info has been great.
We are looking forward to our Rv adventure as we love Scotland,not sure if July and Aug is a good time to take an Rv there knowing how busy it can gets and how narrow some roads can be.
Many thanks again.
Paul (y)(y)

Back