Is IVA causing change

paul&debra

Subscriber
I have just been looking at the Rv's on Ebay as you do. But have you all noticed that there seems to be an ever increasing number of 5 er's on there and a drop in RV's. Do you think this is a consequence of the IVa or is it that Dixie has more to sell :lol::lol:. But is does seem to be changing.

Landy Lover

Subscriber
IVA coming in on trailers soon Paul so possibly people are changing before that forces the price up considerably :blink:

crystalspirit

Iva changes

Paul the new Iva laws are causing also of problems & soon trailers will come under Iva as bill says a friend of mine owns America car imports in wood green & he siad it's causing all sorts of headaches but it will get sorted

Strange this topic has been mention as last week we visited fellow friends and RVOC members who are friends with a couple who changed from an A class to a 5th wheeler.

The vehicle was bought from a dealer I presume sorted for use on UK roads however he has been informed by VOSA that he requires extra side markers apparently following some recent change in the lighting laws??

I have tried to find out more myself regarding UK legislation regarding 5th wheel trailers but can only find information relating to just trailers see >> http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/trailer-lighting-rules-regulations-and-requirements

Strange as the 5th wheeler isn't a mechanically propelled vehicle VOSA got involved as it doesn't require an MOT only the two vehicle depending on type or age.

pappajohn

Subscriber
Strange this topic has been mention as last week we visited fellow friends and RVOC members who are friends with a couple who changed from an A class to a 5th wheeler.

The vehicle was bought from a dealer I presume sorted for use on UK roads however he has been informed by VOSA that he requires extra side markers apparently following some recent change in the lighting laws??

I have tried to find out more myself regarding UK legislation regarding 5th wheel trailers but can only find information relating to just trailers see >> http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/trailer-lighting-rules-regulations-and-requirements

Strange as the 5th wheeler isn't a mechanically propelled vehicle VOSA got involved as it doesn't require an MOT only the two vehicle depending on type or age.
so, VOSA will be sending that mail-shot to ALL fifth wheel owners then......if they knew who they were and where they live

Cant be compulsory for some and not others....it has to be retrospective across the board or not at all.

vwalan

Subscriber
some may require mots . doesnt matter that they arent self propelled trailers over 1020 kg or caravans used to carry items not required in the actual living in the caravan could alter its status .
some can be living vans .
living vans over 3,500kg require testing ,
mind articulated outfits can be exempt .
most 5th wheel caravans arent articulated in the construction and use regs so cant be covered by the exemption .
tow vehicles forming part of an articulated set up used only for towing certain classes of trailer can be exempt .
try a google for form v112g on the dft site .
but anyway fifth wheel is the way its growing fast .
possibly the best system for leisure use around .
glad i got into it 14 yrs ago.
lots of advantages as far as i can see.

alexcalder

Trader - Calder Leisure
IVA is going to be very difficult to pass as the brakes will need eu approval as well to date vosa cant test close coupled axles. the glass, hitch spray suppression ect the list goes on and on weight is also very important as any trailer over 3.5 tonnes will need abs brakes ,also there is the question can i take a a iva tested trailer abroad as iva is for uk sales only hence the reason we are going to try for full eu type approval .even at this late date the exact test proceedure has not been established .this is my take on the new rules and it may have been moved on in recent months .

Montana16

Hi,
Does this only apply to goods carrying trailers or am i getting it wronge ?
Clear it is not :crying:

Dave. :thumbup::thumbup:

Dixie

Subscriber- RV Trader
I have just been looking at the Rv's on Ebay as you do. But have you all noticed that there seems to be an ever increasing number of 5 er's on there and a drop in RV's. Do you think this is a consequence of the IVa or is it that Dixie has more to sell :lol::lol:. But is does seem to be changing.
Well now you mention it, I am on a one woman mission for world domination! And to be honest, I'm getting there!! Mwahahahaha!!!! :laugh:

The biggest reason for change from RV to 5er we get given by our customers is usable space.

The second is based on price. A new top notch 5th wheel built to your spec at the factory with a full warranty or a 5-10+ year old RV. People have suddenly got good at maths!

The next biggest reason is trying to avoid the toad / trailer / insurances / 2RFL's nonsense by having the vehicle to use once pitched up.

That's our experience anyhow:thumbup:

Last edited:

Landy Lover

Subscriber
Hi,
Does this only apply to goods carrying trailers or am i getting it wronge ?
Clear it is not :crying:

Dave. :thumbup::thumbup:
No covers all trailers manufactured or imported after a certain date - I think from memory is 14th Oct 2014 different IVA for different weights. Existing trailers will not be affected at this stage .