Ireland (South & North)

phil1946

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Caravan, motorhome, RV and caravan (again) since 1970.
Model
Elddis CARAVAN towed by 3 Litre Mitsubishi Shogun.
RV Experience
Many Years
Hi,

Hilary and I are about to start a 6 week tour of Ireland - crossing from Pembroke Dock to Rosslare. We have been before, but this is the first time with an RV, albeit a small Safari Trek with TOAD, and have visited Waterford, Cork, Dingle Peninsular, Ring of Kerry, Mullindar, Tipperary, Galway and part of Donegal. We hope to see some of the North this time as well as spending some time in the South. Any advice / suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards,

Phil

Bicester Oxfordshire. email warouk@hotmail.co.uk
Member No
RV Type
Eurobox
Model
Frankia I8000
RV Experience
since 26.11.09.
Hi Phil, cant help uch really except first thing arrive in Ireland on empty tanks and fill up in Ireland, as of today 30/08/11 Euro 1.49 petrol and Euro 1.39 diesel, sorry no news on LPG??? but hopefully out Irish members will be able to confirm info and help with any more info, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Ex - Safari Trek
RV Experience
Since '06
Hi there :001_smile: In our Trek with toad we did an anti-clockwise tour of Ireland in '08 and at that time diesel had reached 143.9 euro !! We chose the short crossing (for our two dogs at the time) Cairnryan > Larne
Our tour was Antrim, Donegal, Sligo,Co Mayo,Limerick,
Kerry,Killarny,Tipperary,Dublin and back to Larne.
Looks like you have already visited the areas we went to, so from an RV point of view we travelled around with very few problems ... however some of the roads on the west side were in a very bad condition (when we went) with ruts and potholes, so bubble wrap your best china and pack tight!
If you're going to Antrim to visit the Giants Causeway, we stayed at Drumaheglis Marina & caravan park (height barrier at entrance but intercom to request lift)
I could go on ....
Have a great time :thumbup:
Julia

N

nomad

Irish tour.

Hi Phil, Ireland is a gift for touring rv,s. This time of year will be quieter and september weather is very nice.As well as the coastal attractions on all sides you should know that the Lakeland system from Fermanagh south to Limerick holds a host of hidden gems and the waterways are dotted with quiet stopover places with great facilities which are ideal for rv,s and are totaly free. I have just spent 20 yrs along these places in my barge and not many campers are aware of them. Most towns along the waterway have one and there are many music sessions to find at weekends. If you are interested I can give you more info. I live in Tyrone and have just bought an rv again ,thats why I ,m on here. If you in My neighbourhood you are welcome to call and stay awhile.Best of luck!.Nomad.

Back