Insurance and full timing

Basky19

I know the subject is a contentious one and people don’t like to give their full details, but I am currently looking at insurance and can’t find anywhere that will cover us as full timers.
We will have a uk address (moving in with my sister) but don’t plan to be there much.
How do we get around the issues of RV insurance? The best I can find is a company that will cover us for 9 months.

Ruff Nomads

We're with Comfort Insurance on full time policy, and are quite happy with them.

Give them a call, they're very helpful
I know everyone’s circumstances are different, but dare I ask how much you pay for that, also do you get Euro cover with breakdown?
I tried comfort some time ago but they seemed to want load the policy because we had a Ford. I tried to explain it wasn’t a ‘hot hatch’ but their underwriters wouldn’t budge.
May try again.

Basky19

Merv, I rang comfort insurance and asked if they cover American RV, they said yes then I asked if they do full timers policy and they said yes but not for American rv?
So not sure what to make of that? Have you been with comfort a long time maybe it’s only new policyholders they won’t do full time for.

monacosteve

Subscriber
Friend of mine has just renewed his insurance with Safegaurd, he said he stayed in the motorhome all the time, they asked if he had an address for council tax he said he pays a percentage at his sisters house so he can keep his credit rating,
They said no problem and insured him.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Merv, I rang comfort insurance and asked if they cover American RV, they said yes then I asked if they do full timers policy and they said yes but not for American rv?
So not sure what to make of that? Have you been with comfort a long time maybe it’s only new policyholders they won’t do full time for.
We've been with them for a long time, so it may be new policies that are difficult to get. Sorry I couldn't help.

Steve Martin

Subscriber
I have heard that Safegard will cover you for 365 days but not full timing!! including breakdown cover in Europe and no limit on replacement windscreens.
I presume the obvious thing to say is that 'absolutely you don't full time as you spend time living in a house with a member of the family with the RV stored in a safe location (outside on the road)
I have also heard that Safegard will cover you for around £1,113.90 per year. (y) (y)

monacosteve

Subscriber
We have people on park here that are on the move around Europe and have taken 3 years out,
They are renting there house while they are travelling Europe.
They told there insurance company what they are doing,
No problem.
So what is the difference between that, and full timing.
I think insurance companies just want more money out of it.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I'll never understand the logic behind insurance companies pricing for full time or their reluctance to offer cover, chances of theft must be minimal, chances of a fault claim accident must be reduced as it's your home you take more care & it's not like the people who jump in an RV or motorhome once a year & rush off on holiday who should be a high risk due to lack of experience driving a behemoth!
I like to think I'm an honest person but sometimes the truth has to be stretched or distorted to get what you need.
Good luck with your search.

Basky19

All, thanks for the reply’s, it seems that being total honest and transparent gets you no where. I have now slightly changed my opinion/view, technically I have somewhere to live when we come back to the place I grew up (my sisters) and technically we are not full timers as we only plan to use it for two years then sell so I will continue my search as if it’s any other motorhome insurance.

Shovel head you are indeed correct, there would be less chance of theft with someone full timing as opposed to leaving the rv parked/stored up for months but the insurance company’s obviously see the opposite view and think that an rv that doesn’t move has less chance of being involved in a collision.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
One insurance company wouldn’t cover me because I was in a secure compound even though it had 3 gates and cameras because others had access . Twenty other motor home owners had keys to access their motor homes DOH.
I asked them if they expected me to drop it in via a big helicopter DOH

Basky19

Still having a big issue on this, tried one insurance company, went through the quote and got a price, then at the end I said I maybe moving in with my sister and may need to have the quote adjusted and he come back and said wouldn’t be able to cover if I moved because I would have no credit rating at my new address.

it’s a moral thing I want to be as honest as possible as I couldn’t go touring knowing that if I had a bump or worse then they could declare insurance void.
If I get quotes for my current address then rang up a week after I started the insurance to say I moved home doesn’t that look a bit suspicious to the insurance company?

the house is sold and I have my eye on a nice RV but the dream could go up in smoke due to an insurance quote☹️☹️☹️

paul&debra

Subscriber
Get your sister to go online and register you to vote at her address, elect to go on the open register. That will take care of the address and proof you are living there. Then apply for insurance and tell them you have just moved but this is my old address. That is all you need for the credit reference.

Olley

Subscriber
Comfort state that they have the right to check you are living at the address you give.
Can't remember the exact wording but it was something like, Utility bills, council register etc.