Independent Engineers

AllisonMG

Subscriber
Hi All
We are first time buyers and joined this site a few weeks ago. So far, it has been really helpful in building our knowledge.
When we come to buy (imminently!) we would like to have an independent engineers report.
Would anyone be able to recommend one?
Thanks
Allison

johnpengers

Subscriber
Try KJS Rv services.His name is Karl Stotzell and comes from the Cannock area nr Wolverhampton.
The funny thing is he used to do the majority of Itchy Feet Motorhomes servicing etc and to get his mobile number he's under Itchy Feet's old website.
A really nice bloke who really knows his stuff or........Try Adi of ABM services in Weymouth who is one of our own on here and really really knows his stuff and nice with it too !!(y).
If you're new to the Rv game might be worth buying the first one from one of the dealers,Like many more on here Empire Rv is the recommended choice.

Just my own personal opinion of course and welcome to the whacky world of Rvs !!;)

onan

Subscriber
I noticed this is your first post and you have been a member for just a few weeks.

I apologise in advance if you have been searching for some time but the best advice I can give you is make certain you have researched RVs before you even consider finding an engineer to inspect; and then research again. Ask questions on the forum. Dealers are known, history of many RVs are known. For obvious reasons you may sometimes get an answer via pm. Some forum members have RVs for sale. Your choice of RV may well influence the engineer you require.

There are so many variables: new or old, petrol or diesel, engine at the front or back, price point, length, full timing or holiday use, locker space, eBay or private sale with no warranty, dealer with warranty, layout, number of slide outs, weight and licence requirements, payload, Tyre age as new tyres can set you back £2K. One AC unit or two, are they heat pumps as well. Petrol, gas or diesel genny. Air brakes, non air or air over brake fluid. Air suspension, non air suspension or airbag assisted.Full conversion to 240v or still on 110v. Inverter and size of inverter. Washing/drier. Are the lockers heated. Etc etc etc.

The old adage of buy your third RV is very true, although I did meet a guy who on waking up with a hell of a hangover discovered he had, whilst drunk, bid on an RV and was the highest bidder.

All the best with your purchase. We all have varying experiences so just ask.

tacr2man

Subscriber
With RVs its very much measure twice cut once , as you seem to realise , being careful pays off , as they can be a total disaster if you get it wrong , and a wonderful experience when you get it all right :)

AllisonMG

Subscriber
Thanks all for your comprehensive and speedy responses. I think we've done our research but just need to get over the final hurdle and we'll be enjoying the dream. We are looking to buy a Forest River Lexington from Freedom RV but perhaps we'll post a separate feed for that ......

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
I noticed this is your first post and you have been a member for just a few weeks.

I apologise in advance if you have been searching for some time but the best advice I can give you is make certain you have researched RVs before you even consider finding an engineer to inspect; and then research again. Ask questions on the forum. Dealers are known, history of many RVs are known. For obvious reasons you may sometimes get an answer via pm. Some forum members have RVs for sale. Your choice of RV may well influence the engineer you require.

There are so many variables: new or old, petrol or diesel, engine at the front or back, price point, length, full timing or holiday use, locker space, eBay or private sale with no warranty, dealer with warranty, layout, number of slide outs, weight and licence requirements, payload, Tyre age as new tyres can set you back £2K. One AC unit or two, are they heat pumps as well. Petrol, gas or diesel genny. Air brakes, non air or air over brake fluid. Air suspension, non air suspension or airbag assisted.Full conversion to 240v or still on 110v. Inverter and size of inverter. Washing/drier. Are the lockers heated. Etc etc etc.

The old adage of buy your third RV is very true, although I did meet a guy who on waking up with a hell of a hangover discovered he had, whilst drunk, bid on an RV and was the highest bidder.

All the best with your purchase. We all have varying experiences so just ask.
Blimey Alan .. so many variables !