How big is to big for a toad?

errpaul

Subscriber
We currently have a C1 on an A frame with the rvi brake system.
It's just not big enough for us any more with kids and dog, and so we are looking at other options. This has led us to ask the above question.

The rvi brake is capable of being used in a large SUV (according to the box!) and in the US some people tow big pick ups etc.
What are your thoughts/experiences?
What is the largest TOAD on the forum?

errpaul

Subscriber
A Hummer...wow that's big. I spoke to an A frame company here and they thought I was mad when I said about fitting a frame to a family size car, and said you couldn't fit one on anything bigger than a small hatchback.

adi4

Subscriber
A Hummer...wow that's big. I spoke to an A frame company here and they thought I was mad when I said about fitting a frame to a family size car, and said you couldn't fit one on anything bigger than a small hatchback.

I have been towing a Nissan Primera P12 estate for quite a few years without any problems, I have sold it now and replaced it with a 2017 Xtrail but not had chance to fit the towing frame to it yet....

Adi

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Who ever you spoke to clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

My mate Alan he is on this form has a big jeep 4 litre v6 engine in it and has no problem.

Also you always see massive American cars on a a frames in America.

And as above post adi has a large vehicle.

onan

Subscriber
One of our friends had a transit on an A frame behind a Diplomat with a 330 Cummins. Usually loaded with a couple of large bikes - Gold Wing and another one.

motor roamin

Subscriber
In days gone by we delivered cars all over europe with A frames and in those days they were not braked and legal, the only considerations are your licence category the train weight and your hitch rating followed by can the car be towed ie auto manual etc.

I prefer a trailer which I can then choose which vehicle comes with me (y)

errpaul

Subscriber
One of our friends had a transit on an A frame behind a Diplomat with a 330 Cummins. Usually loaded with a couple of large bikes - Gold Wing and another one.
Best not tell my wife that! She wants to get a camper/day van to replace the C1 toad!

errpaul

Subscriber
In days gone by we delivered cars all over europe with A frames and in those days they were not braked and legal, the only considerations are your licence category the train weight and your hitch rating followed by can the car be towed ie auto manual etc.

I prefer a trailer which I can then choose which vehicle comes with me (y)
We have considered a trailer....I would prefer one purely so I can be safe in the knowledge that I can reverse if needed (not really possible for anything other than a short distance in a straight line with an A Frame). Our main issue is storage of a trailer at home.....plus having space for it for the times when we use sites.

motor roamin

Subscriber
We have considered a trailer....I would prefer one purely so I can be safe in the knowledge that I can reverse if needed (not really possible for anything other than a short distance in a straight line with an A Frame). Our main issue is storage of a trailer at home.....plus having space for it for the times when we use sites.
I am lucky I have room at home for a trailer or two never had a problem on sites in fact the opposite always been most accommodating.