Home Education

Jim

Administrator
Do you/ have you, home educated children? We are presently home educating three of them, its hard work, it has its downsides but on the whole I think it is infinitely better than the state school system.

M

Mrs Santara

if it is done properly and all the relevant exams are taken, then i think it is an ideal way, but like you say it is very hard work, you must have the discipline, motivation, determination,patience, and obviously have the skills that are required to teach your childen at home with all the necessary help that is available. sadly our daughter went down this route but none of the criteria was meet basically our grandaughter didnot receive any education, and what surprised me the most was that no one every checked as to whether she was being educated at home or not, even though we contacted the education dept with our concerns. we believe now however that she is going to college, we hope that she is and that now at least she has a chance. :thumbup:

Scotjimland

It is hard work but I believe in educating her in life skills and the three Rs, not simply to pass exams, if measured by that criteria we may not be doing a good job..
Last winter when we were working she attended the local school, we were apprehensive about it but she did well, the teachers were pleased with her and although she was a little behind with some subjects she excelled in others..

Downside is she misses out on playing with other kids, but during the summer in France she met dozens of French, Spanish and German kids and had a great time.. she has terrific confidence with adults and makes friends where ever we go.. irrespective of age..

On balance I believe she is getting a better all round education..

M

Mrs Santara

Yes I agree that life skills are very important, but sadly in this day and age when it comes to getting a job employers are only interested in how many exams you have taken and passed, not whether you are capable of doing the job, I myself have no qualifications, but can turn my hands to most office work and have indeed worked in offices for 45 years but experience doesn't seem to count, shame isnt it as there are excellent workers out there but many are underpaid because they don't have that piece of paper that says they can even though in practice many of them can't, so you have to prepare them at least about the basics like you said jim the 3 r's,there are quite a few rich people out there who were hopeless at school, so its a question of what is best for your child/children that matters and most importantly that on the whole they are happy. my grandaughter didnot have a choice as it was her mothers decision to take her out of school, and we knew that she wasn't happy that was the difference if she had been happy then there wouldnot have been a problem.:thumbup:

O

obelix67

I hope you dont mind me slightly digressing, I left school with 1 Scottish higher and 6 ordinary grades. A couple of years after leaving school I had a direction I was going in so I bought the books and acheived a HNC (1987) self study, then the career direction changed slightly, so I went on and did an HND self study, then I did some accountancy exams, then did a BSc, then MSc, only with the MSc (1999) did I go to one joint learning session weekend where I was told I should be the one giving the class ..... as I was working in the field I was studying and my work experience was previous day, not several years before.

My point is that it isnt just our children that can benefit from studying at home, and yes I would say the bits of paper as I refer to them are bloomin useless, but they get me in the door then it is down to me if I get the job or not.

If you can sit down and read a novel, you can sit down and study (if you find the subject matter interesting enough) or if you are motivated enough to want the exams badly enough.

My 2p :thumbup: