Hi Guys, looking at a RV but weight seems too high and puts it in HGV class, advice needed

motor roamin

Subscriber
OK once again

Any trailer up to 750kg gvw doesn't require brakes

A trailer 750kg -3500kg must be braked either over run or electric (beware some electric systems are not legal here but thats a different can of worms)

Any trailer over 3500kg must have air brakes or electric ( never seen commercial electric brakes over here)

Bare in mind a cat C licence may well be up to 32tom 12 mtr long rigid vehicle, the C+E licence will allow you to go up to 18.75 mtrs and 44ton GCVW with a rigid and trailer, my RV with the trailer though well under this weight is 18.75mtrs.

Please forget anything to do with Cat D/D1 licence when talking about RV's it just doesn't apply even our tax states private HGV not private PCV which is CAT D whether right or wrong that's the law.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
A trailer 750kg -3500kg must be braked either over run or electric (beware some electric systems are not legal here but thats a different can of worms)

Any trailer over 3500kg must have air brakes or electric ( never seen commercial electric brakes over here)
Where does the legislation mention electric brakes (commercial), I've only seen mention of "linked" brakes which is ambiguous. ...

motor roamin

Subscriber
Where does the legislation mention electric brakes (commercial), I've only seen mention of "linked" brakes which is ambiguous. ...
It doesn't but these are the only two types of braking available to commercial systems as you know the vast majority are air brakesI have seen electric on some US vehicles around 10 ton trailers but not here and some US systems react too slow to meet our laws, it's only mili seconds too slow, I can't remember the exact figures but some fivers come into this category, if we were not allowed electric brakes then a lot of fivers would need to be converted to air plus some airstreams, stupid I know. I think the alternative is throw an anchor out the back, for what its worth these two systems are mentioned some where on either dot gov or dvsa as an example of braking systems allowed so long ago I have no idea where.

RV Neal

Subscriber
Trying to fathom out the logic behind some parts of UK legislation, of which this one, will only result in a deterioration of health and a premature 'demise'

There is no logic -
for example: I cease my weekday job driving 15 metre long passenger coaches in order to take the RV away for the weekend - hang on, I am not licensed to drive a 15 metre RV, I must 'saw' 3 metres off its length
(because the RV is deemed NOT a passenger carrying vehicle it's permitted maximum length can only legally be 12 metres in the EU) (other lengths are available :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed: )

Hang on Rick and I (and others) can put a large (car) trailer behind the RV and drive the combination measuring 18.75 metres overall, perfectly legally

"Go figure"

No D.V.S.A (v.o.s.a.) personnel were harmed in trying to fathom this logic :rofl::rofl::rofl:
A more simplified version of the (ill) logic:
I cease my weekday job driving a 12 metre long bus at 12 tonnes in order to go away for the weekend in my 12 metre long RV at 10 tonnes but, hang on, I have B, BE, C1, C1E, and D on my licence and so, I can't. Even thought the RV is virtually identical in size and weight to the bus I drive legally every day.

I absolutely do understand the licencing requirements (including the 107 restriction) but, as you examine them closely, you realise there is no logic to most of them. As RV owners we've been stitched up; a small minority of the driving populace who've been denied what clearly should have been "Grandfather" rights.

motor roamin

Subscriber
A more simplified version of the (ill) logic:
I cease my weekday job driving a 12 metre long bus at 12 tonnes in order to go away for the weekend in my 12 metre long RV at 10 tonnes but, hang on, I have B, BE, C1, C1E, and D on my licence and so, I can't. Even thought the RV is virtually identical in size and weight to the bus I drive legally every day.

I absolutely do understand the licencing requirements (including the 107 restriction) but, as you examine them closely, you realise there is no logic to most of them. As RV owners we've been stitched up; a small minority of the driving populace who've been denied what clearly should have been "Grandfather" rights.
I totally agree there is no logic to it but then again this is all down to Europe doing half a job as usual, take driver training, in their wisdom (or lack of it) they now say providing you passed your car test in a manual car you can take your test in an automatic truck and get a manual licence, then jump in a 16 speed truck and be clueless, but then forgot that people who passed after 1997 have to take a car an trailer test and to get a manual licence in that class you must still take your test in a manual, like wise an 18 ton truck for test must be loaded with 5 ton an Artic with 8ton a car and trailer with 600kg but a C1 (7500kg gvw) they forgot so no load required, I never said there was any logic to the laws as there is none, and so easy to fall foul of the rules, and beware there are more changes this year on test rules if they bring them in.

sundowner

Subscriber
Our euro set up is just right on the licence laws I believe----- max weight 6 ton which allows us to tow our 2 ton trailer!!! My licence allows 8.25 train weight ( or whatever it's called these days!!)

I would say if you have an RV of any sort and want to tow anything then take both tests with Data academy. That way you will never have an issue. If you have 7.5 T RV it wont be long before you have a bigger one !! Rick and his crew certainly making taking the tests a pleasure and to be honest relatively easy if you can drive an RV or tow a trailer anyway. I actually found the old class1 test easier than driving a class 2.

JohnnyD

Subscriber
OK so just one last question, full size coach as in bus type, 15 seats, can I drive that and with a trailer up to 12,000kg?

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
OK so just one last question, full size coach as in bus type, 15 seats, can I drive that and with a trailer up to 12,000kg?
If you're talking about a converted coach then..
Is it registered as a bus / PSV, or as a motorhome?
If the former then probably yes, but it's registered incorrectly
If the latter then no.

motor roamin

Subscriber
This is where the law and practicality doesn't match, any 16 seat mini bus will be only able to tow a max of 3.5 ton most will be plated at much lower capacity than that, the max gross weight of the mini bus will be between 4.5 and 5.5 ton normally so in practice the max weight you will get to is 9ton and this would be very rare.

So in theory yes you can exceed the 8250kg train weight under the licence rules but would never happen due to vehicle restrictions, this is why the law never got changed.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Full sized coach would still need to be registered as a coach , and will be subject to all PCV test requirements , and be operated under all such regulations , tacho, drivers hours , if not you will then become a class 4 test and need a LGV licence to drive as pcv licence would not be applicable .

JohnnyD

Subscriber
Full sized coach would still need to be registered as a coach , and will be subject to all PCV test requirements , and be operated under all such regulations , tacho, drivers hours , if not you will then become a class 4 test and need a LGV licence to drive as pcv licence would not be applicable .
But surely D part of licence covers this as there is no weight limit specified for the 'mini bus' unless its towing then total weight cannot exceed 12,000 kg DVLA do not stipulate a max weight or length for a 'mini bus'