Hi Guys, looking at a RV but weight seems too high and puts it in HGV class, advice needed

poacher

Subscriber
Great Info guys but where does the D part of the licence come into this, AFAIK the RV is coach based not HGV based therefore surely the D portion of the licence comes into play as I can go buy a full size coach and have under 16 seats and theres no weight limit and a limit of 12000kg towing?
Trying to fathom out the logic behind some parts of UK legislation, of which this one, will only result in a deterioration of health and a premature 'demise'

There is no logic -
for example: I cease my weekday job driving 15 metre long passenger coaches in order to take the RV away for the weekend - hang on, I am not licensed to drive a 15 metre RV, I must 'saw' 3 metres off its length
(because the RV is deemed NOT a passenger carrying vehicle it's permitted maximum length can only legally be 12 metres in the EU) (other lengths are available :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed: )

Hang on Rick and I (and others) can put a large (car) trailer behind the RV and drive the combination measuring 18.75 metres overall, perfectly legally

"Go figure"

No D.V.S.A (v.o.s.a.) personnel were harmed in trying to fathom this logic :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gareth62

Subscriber
It’s stupid I’ve been towing caravans cars and trailers for near on 40 yrs now but all I can tow behind the rv is a small 750kg trailer
I have my C, C1E, D1E, BE but still can’t tow a small car with my RV with out taking my C+E
I don’t want to or ever will drive artics I just want this 107 restriction off my licence

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I just want this 107 restriction off my licence
Then just take the test, as I did, the hardest bit is getting the bad habits (accumulated through years of real life experience) beaten out of you by Rick's henchmen :giggle: :giggle:
The vehicle I took the test in was roughly the same size as my daily driven van with a slightly smaller trailer than the one I tow every week, just plated a bit heavier. It's a walk in the park.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Then just take the test, as I did, the hardest bit is getting the bad habits (accumulated through years of real life experience) beaten out of you by Rick's henchmen :giggle: :giggle:
The vehicle I took the test in was roughly the same size as my daily driven van with a slightly smaller trailer than the one I tow every week, just plated a bit heavier. It's a walk in the park.
RICK

paul&debra

Subscriber
The petrol / LPG RV's are built on pick up truck chassis and are not designed or built as coaches. In fact pick up trucks of this size and weight would be considered as HGV' s over here. Diesel RV's are built predominantly on lorry chassis, so again HGV.
Thanks for the promotion Concord pilot, but I am a lowly Magistrate. But Magistrates do deal with 99% of motoring offences.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Speaking as an Ex Police , Ex DVSA , and ex Magistrate , the word logic isnt the most appropriate , instead "Fudge" would be more accurate , as it was all done as a quick fix as it arose . The only firm area , and its not a grey area , is the relevant legislation that will bite you if you come to notice trying to get round the law to suit yourself .

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Speaking as an Ex Police , Ex DVSA , and ex Magistrate , the word logic isnt the most appropriate , instead "Fudge" would be more accurate , as it was all done as a quick fix as it arose . The only firm area , and its not a grey area , is the relevant legislation that will bite you if you come to notice trying to get round the law to suit yourself .
That may be so but still has anyone ever been pulled and successfully prosecuted? I think not.
I bow to your knowledge just asking

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
The petrol / LPG RV's are built on pick up truck chassis and are not designed or built as coaches. In fact pick up trucks of this size and weight would be considered as HGV' s over here. Diesel RV's are built predominantly on lorry chassis, so again HGV.
Thanks for the promotion Concord pilot, but I am a lowly Magistrate. But Magistrates do deal with 99% of motoring offences.
Thats OK Paul - enjoy the moment ! I got "the Judge" from when I was corrected a few months ago !!

johnpengers

Subscriber
That may be so but still has anyone ever been pulled and successfully prosecuted? I think not.
I bow to your knowledge just asking
Thats because fortunately there hasn't been any major accidents or worse, fatalities involving rvs in this country.....None that I've heard of in the past 12 years anyway.
It'll only take one major test case and the shit will hit the fan.
You can spin it all you want but without the correct license you run the risk of serious trouble.
If your vehicle is over 7.5 ton C is required,pull a car etc over 750kg C+E required.....I don't care how long you have been "pulling trailers and caravans" or if you've been driving for a million years previously that's the law.
Hope you're all having a good day !;)

JohnnyD

Subscriber
To be pedantic, they are DVLA rules, not law & as it actually says on the .gov only a judge can decide what it actually means. But, do you want to be the person who tests it in court?
If Pauls the Judge we should be fine, Paul go get a wig and become a judge !!!!
Think Ill be calling Rick and getting the correct licence just so I can argue with them knowing im correct, the RV I wanted turned out to be 50% of it damp damaged so the other options are actually under 7.5 ton BUT I still need to tow my race shuttle and car so either way im goosed.

JohnnyD

Subscriber
I dont see the logic with the trailer and the 7.5 and 32 ton licence, surely the extra issue with trailer is the length not the weight, now I can put a car trailer on the RV (7.5 ton) and drive merrily around with a 50 ft vehicle legally, now put a smart car on the trailer and im illegal !!! WTF? where is the logic?

JohnnyD

Subscriber
Also ive noticed when checking the max weight my VW Touareg can pull (3500kg) braked that all the unbraked weights are 750kg and checking other cars like a RR also 750kg so does the 750 limit apply to an unbraked trailer???

poacher

Subscriber
Also ive noticed when checking the max weight my VW Touareg can pull (3500kg) braked that all the unbraked weights are 750kg and checking other cars like a RR also 750kg so does the 750 limit apply to an unbraked trailer???
Short answer "Yes"
Longer answer "Yes"
Detailed answer "Yes"

Comprehensive answer "......... you get the drift" :):)

How 'we' (the EU) arrived at that particular weight, I will leave to "our learned friend", (of whatever 'rank' ;);) ) to dispense :D:D

tacr2man

Subscriber
If its an unbraked trailer , you can go to 750kg mam OR half kerb weight of towing vehicle , whichever is less , eg if you have a smart car you would only be allowed a 540kg mam trailer.

JohnnyD

Subscriber
What Im saying is 750kg is max allowed for an unbraked trailer on any vehicle so my V10 VW Touareg 750kg max unbraked 3500kg braked.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Correct,
Any unbraked trailer must be no more than 750Kg no matter if it's towed by a Mini or Ford Ranger.

It doesn't sound much till you think about a dumpy bag of building sand as most of them come with 750kg to 800kg of sand in them.

Gary burdett

Subscriber
Hi , forget how many belted seats etc I would say it's above 7.5t so you need an HGV entitlement
If you tow a trailer you then have to add that to your Gross weight
People say I'm ok it's for private use but it's not
DVSA are vey keen when they see an RV plus trailer and if stopped you will loose your RV they will wire the wheels and ask you for the keys
I know this sounds scary but best be safe than sorry