Hi Guys, looking at a RV but weight seems too high and puts it in HGV class, advice needed

Gareth62

Subscriber
Rick will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can tow a trailer as long as it's below 750kg behind anything without having a +E on any licence category.
The C1+E on grandfather's rights you are allowed up to 8250kg combined weight (with the 107 restriction)
With the restriction lifted (pass the test) that increases to 12000kg but the tow vehicle must be under 7500kg.
If you took the C1 test you are limited to a 750kg trailer regardless of the weight of the tow vehicle (under 7500kg)
You sure?

That would mean I'm okay to tow my cortina or fiesta so long as I dont up-plate the RV !?

Rick ............ Help

Had too much Merlot tonight to sort his out

hic

(y)

RICK..............................................

Last edited:

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
You sure?

That would mean I'm okay to tow my cortina or fiesta so long as I dont up-plate the RV !?

Rick ............ Help

Had too much Merlot tonight to sort his out

hic

(y)

RICK..............................................
What is the plated weight of your RV

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Looking at the plate, your RV has been down plated to 7500kg, I don't know what the original manufacturers figure would have been but it would have been significantly higher, the axle weights should always add up to more than the GVW to allow for weight distribution variance. Yours don't.
If you have a grandfather's rights C1+E then you can have a GVW of 8250kg including the trailer but the RV must not be over 7500kg & must weigh more than the trailer.
If you have taken the C1 test then you are restricted to a trailer of 750kg max regardless of the weight of the RV (under 7500kg)
If you have taken the C1+E test then your total including the trailer can be 12000kg, the RV must still be under 7500kg.
Does that make sense?
This is the problem with down plated stuff, little or payload.

JohnnyD

Subscriber
Looking at the plate, your RV has been down plated to 7500kg, I don't know what the original manufacturers figure would have been but it would have been significantly higher, the axle weights should always add up to more than the GVW to allow for weight distribution variance. Yours don't.
If you have a grandfather's rights C1+E then you can have a GVW of 8250kg including the trailer but the RV must not be over 7500kg & must weigh more than the trailer.
If you have taken the C1 test then you are restricted to a trailer of 750kg max regardless of the weight of the RV (under 7500kg)
If you have taken the C1+E test then your total including the trailer can be 12000kg, the RV must still be under 7500kg.
Does that make sense?
OK so I have on my licence
BE (car and trailer no restriction on trailer weight)
C1E (7500 + 750)
D1E (total weight 12000kg but 8m restriction)

So if I take the LGV test C up to 32tons rigid what trailer can I tow with the 9000kg RV?

paul&debra

Subscriber
C1E (7500 + 750)

So if I take the LGV test C up to 32tons rigid what trailer can I tow with the 9000kg RV?
Still only 750 kg unless you do the C+E

motor roamin

Subscriber
Does that make sense?

That makes total sense Ta.

C1E (7500 + 750)

OK here we go again, though some on here will disagree with me.

I EARN MY LIVING DOING THIS AND YOU CAN BE ASSURED I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

RV's fall into LGV/HGV licence categories full stop. no other licence categories cover over 3.5 ton, driving on any other category of licence may well result in your insurance being void.

C1 covers up to 7.5 ton Gross Vehicle weight (GVW) that is the gross allowable plated weight of the vehicle.

C1+E with 107 restriction gives a Combined GVW of 8250kg, this can be a 6000kg RV with a 2250kg trailer this is the only licence category that allows the combination to be broken up this way.

Category C this will allow you to drive any rigid vehicle up to 32 tons GVW with any axle configuration the max trailer will be 750kg GVW.

In order to tow a trailer above this weight you will need to take a C+E which will allow you to drive any HGV/LGV allowed on UK roads.

Please be aware any RV's that are down plated will have a reduced payload I have even seen some that are then overloaded with two people and nothing else so even your clothes wouldn't be in.

Payload is calculated by by taking the weight of your RV with all it's additions, Sat Dish, solar panels, extra batteries etc away from the GVW whats left is your payload.

Finally we have trained 29 members on here, all vehicles are purchased new and the oldest vehicle currently in the HGV fleet is 2016 of course very low mileage, all now are automatic and they will give you a manual licence upon passing the test (please don't go near any brokers they will rob you) if you have any more questions feel free to call me 0797 475 8989 advice is always free.

Good luck.

motor roamin

Subscriber
In which case im better off taking the C1E to get the trailer restriction off
Not always in order to do that you will have to still do a medical theory and hazard perception test prior to practical training and test so the cost is the same (almost) as taking the cat C and you will still be restricted to 7500kg max GVW on the RV, also check allowable towing weight of the RV most with 7500kg GVW can only tow a maximum of 1500kg, one to always check I have seen one RV that could only tow legally less than 750kg that's rare but worth checking.

poacher

Subscriber
I EARN MY LIVING DOING THIS AND YOU CAN BE ASSURED I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
RV's fall into LGV/HGV licence categories full stop. no other licence categories cover over 3.5 ton, driving on any other category of licence may well result in your insurance being void.
Good luck.
Not always in order to do that you .............................................................but worth checking.
and because Rick knows his stuff - he has a 'VERY high' opinion of the D.V.L.A. ???? :D:D:D:D:D

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
In which case im better off taking the C1E to get the trailer restriction off
If you have an RV which is under 7500kg this would work, as long as the RV is able to tow what you plan to tow. If not it's a mute point anyway.
I did exactly this myself as the train weight of my truck & 5th wheel is over 8250kg (by around 1000kg), I would have done my C & C+E, but it would have meant 2 separate tests & a bit of extra training, I had a very limited time frame to work with, but thanks to Rick & his guys I did it in 3 days with only 1 minor fault noted on the test (which was me starting to wind down the jockey wheel before attaching the breakaway cable) & I muttered a couple of expletives under my breath as I corrected my mistake. The ironic thing is that the C1+E test bears absolutely no resemblance to hitching up & driving a 36ft 5th wheel trailer but it means that I'm legal.

Concord Pilot

Subscriber

C1 covers up to 7.5 ton Gross Vehicle weight (GVW) that is the gross allowable plated weight of the vehicle.

C1+E with 107 restriction gives a Combined GVW of 8250kg, this can be a 6000kg RV with a 2250kg trailer this is the only licence category that allows the combination to be broken up this way.

Category C this will allow you to drive any rigid vehicle up to 32 tons GVW with any axle configuration the max trailer will be 750kg GVW.

In order to tow a trailer above this weight you will need to take a C+E which will allow you to drive any HGV/LGV allowed on UK roads.

Please be aware any RV's that are down plated will have a reduced payload I have even seen some that are then overloaded with two people and nothing else so even your clothes wouldn't be in.

Payload is calculated by by taking the weight of your RV with all it's additions, Sat Dish, solar panels, extra batteries etc away from the GVW whats left is your payload.

Finally we have trained 29 members on here, all vehicles are purchased new and the oldest vehicle currently in the HGV fleet is 2016 of course very low mileage, all now are automatic and they will give you a manual licence upon passing the test (please don't go near any brokers they will rob you) if you have any more questions feel free to call me 0797 475 8989 advice is always free.

Good luck.
There is HUGE knowledge on this forum - it is best that this is listened to.

Johnny D - You should know that Paul is a Judge .. Be advised to listen to his advice on this side of the dock. Just go and take the course / test. End of !

Rick - Now I know why you have grey hair and no time to get it cut !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

JohnnyD

Subscriber
Great Info guys but where does the D part of the licence come into this, AFAIK the RV is coach based not HGV based therefore surely the D portion of the licence comes into play as I can go buy a full size coach and have under 16 seats and theres no weight limit and a limit of 12000kg towing?

JohnnyD

Subscriber

Good luck.
Thanks Rick, I may well call you next week if thats OK?

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
Great Info guys but where does the D part of the licence come into this, AFAIK the RV is coach based not HGV based therefore surely the D portion of the licence comes into play as I can go buy a full size coach and have under 16 seats and theres no weight limit and a limit of 12000kg towing?
Good luck !!