Hi Guys, looking at a RV but weight seems too high and puts it in HGV class, advice needed

JohnnyD

Subscriber
Found an RV I want but the GVW plate says 9200kg its a 36 ft twin slide V10. Now that sounds very high, ive had 2 35ft before, whats the actual rules on this as im told private is totally different to HGV on weights. I have grandfather rights and can tow trailer, I went to see a friend who has a haulage company to see how much an HGV test would be, he got my licence printout from DVLA and the section he showed me said on a coach based vehicle not for hire or reward with up to 9 belted seats there is no limit, however if I put a trailer on combined weight can only be 12,000kgs

JohnnyD

Subscriber
2 slides will normally put it over 7.5 ton. Mine is down plated to 7.5 but vehicle label in cupboard shows 9.5 ton. Best just allow £1500 and do course and hgv test. You will need a C licence (old class 2) to drive it. But do not need driver CPC. Lessons invaluable.
Thanks for the advice but it is still confusing, ill try put up my print outRV Licence.jpg

JohnnyD

Subscriber
So looking at the top one C1E if its under 12,000KG with trailer I can drive it
Same with D1E
D1 there is no specified weight limit !

paul&debra

Subscriber
Towing vehicle under 7.5 ton, combined weight with trailer under 12 ton. Same in both C1 and D1. Look at government website for licence categories. Over 7.5 ton towing vehicle, either C licence or if over 16 seats over 7.5 ton PSV

JohnnyD

Subscriber
That is from DVLA , I just called an HGV driving school and he quoted me to do C class test and then looked at the same printout that he got up online and said Oh you might not need class C but its a grey area.
I reckon the HGV might be quite a bit of fun to do anyway.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Category C on government website, just says large vehicles over 3.5 ton. Do not mention HGV anymore. C1 vehicles between 3.5 ton and 7.5 ton. C1E is vehicle between 3.5 ton and 7.5 ton with a trailer up to a combined weight of 12 ton. But towing vehicle is restricted to below 7.5 ton.

MikeyRV

Subscriber
RV sellers always used to tell you that you can drive a RV on your car licence with your grandfather rights So they could sell more of them, yes you can if the RV weighs no more than 7.5 ton. So pushers and most with slide outs need a HGV class 2 or LGV as it’s now called. if you take your HGV you don’t need to do the CPC course unless you are going to use your HGV for work. I think it’s a good idea to take your HGV if your going to be driving something that size. Too many peaple just jump in them and drive away thinking they know it all. There the ones with all the scrapes and dents. (y)

Gareth62

Subscriber
I did my C with Rick (Motor Roaming) Data Acadamy, (He's not the cheapest but is honest and straight and on the ball.) I'm sure he will be along soon to clear up any confusion and put in his 2 bobs worth but even with a C class I still can't tow a car on a trailer behind the RV it's that nasty little bit in brackets (107) that screws you up on a C1E not sure about the C but I'm sure I will need the C+E if combined weight is more than 8250 Kg.

Rick does sometimes mention his HGV driving school here but never pushes for work.

Saying that your a good way away in Crawley

Last edited:

Preacher man

Subscriber
I did my C with Rick (Motor Roaming) Data Acadamy, (He's not the cheapest but is honest and straight and on the ball.) I'm sure he will be along soon to clear up any confusion and put in his 2 bobs worth but even with a C class I still can't tow a car on a trailer behind the RV it's that nasty little bit in brackets (107) that screws you up on a C1E not sure about the C but I'm sure I will need the C+E if combined weight is more than 8250 Kg.

Rick does sometimes mention his HGV driving school here but never pushes for work.

I agree I went to Data Academy can’t recommend them highly enough

Gareth62

Subscriber
I say I'm not sure about C as I've still not had my licence back from DVLA it's been ages now since it was sent off for renewal it's getting to the point where don't think I will ever see it again.....

Plus I really should get the RV and car weighed.

Last edited:

Pedro1122

Subscriber
RV sellers always used to tell you that you can drive a RV on your car licence with your grandfather rights So they could sell more of them, yes you can if the RV weighs no more than 7.5 ton. So pushers and most with slide outs need a HGV class 2 or LGV as it’s now called. if you take your HGV you don’t need to do the CPC course unless you are going to use your HGV for work. I think it’s a good idea to take your HGV if your going to be driving something that size. Too many peaple just jump in them and drive away thinking they know it all. There the ones with all the scrapes and dents. (y)
Mine is supposed to be 7.5t hahaha! thats probably true, without fuel, water, oil in the engine and my 2 dogs. Oh! nearly forgot the slide-outs, luggage, I could go on! Definitely do your C licence it will give you a sense of awareness. Not had it weighed yet but I reckon it runs to about 9 ton despite the 7.5t sales patter.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I say I'm not sure about C as I've still not had my licence back from DVLA it's been ages now since it was sent off for renewal it's getting to the point where don't think I will ever see it again.....

Plus I really should get the RV and car weighed.
Rick will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can tow a trailer as long as it's below 750kg behind anything without having a +E on any licence category.
The C1+E on grandfather's rights you are allowed up to 8250kg combined weight (with the 107 restriction)
With the restriction lifted (pass the test) that increases to 12000kg but the tow vehicle must be under 7500kg.
If you took the C1 test you are limited to a 750kg trailer regardless of the weight of the tow vehicle (under 7500kg)

MikeyRV

Subscriber
The main thing is if your driving around in an RV that is plated down to be sold or so you can drive on normal licence, you better check your insurance because if anything happens they will have a get out and we all know the insurance company like them.