Hi All

Mike59

Subscriber
This is my first post on this club forum, my name is Michael and my wife is Fay and we are based in Chesterfield Derbyshire. We have just bought our first rv, after many years owning touring caravans, European motorhomes and static caravans. Its a 2006 Gulfstream Independence and cant wait to get on the road and cover some miles, although in the current covid restrictions don't know when that will be. The person we bought it off did a brilliant job explaining how everything works but im sure il be on here asking advice. Thanks

Gareth62

Subscriber
Hi we also came straight from owning a tin tent, we bought the RV after the caravan was stolen
Would never go back to caravans now

So much easier once you arrive park up, legs down, slide out, chair out, beer out 15 mins all done compared to caravanning the awning alone can take up to an hour then you need water barrel filling waste to fit

Last edited:

Gareth62

Subscriber
Caravanning was ok when our three boys where young and loved to help, now they're grown up and at an age where mam and dad seem an embarrassment to be with.

Oh yes, I know that feeling I have 3 lads and a girl all teenagers now 18, 16, 16, 14 need dynamite or money nowadays to get any help from them....

We bought the RV mainly for the six of us and so we would have more room as the 18 month old 6 berth twin axle coachman was getting to be a squash and a squeeze. But now most times they stay home and it's just myself and the wife on our own....

Oct 13th 2017 it was stolen from storage together with a second caravan. For four months we where heart broken as we had lost everything, we had a diary where we had written down all the trips we had ever been on, equipment awning gaslow bottles the lot had gone, okay the caravan and equipment could be replaced but the loss of the diary with over ten years of memories was the thing that hit us the hardest.

Once insurance paid up we where looking at Euro-boxes to start with but they where far to expensive, so we then went to look at caravans again and this RV was sat in the very far corner of the dealers lot, dealer couldn't move it out so no test drive but I did hear her running and she started first turn and fired straight up, fell in love right away. Dealer knew bugger all about her but like you I never knew anything about RV's at that point. I do now. Had a few small things to sort out, most things I did myself. Had LPG fitted I fitted the solar panels.

And never looked back....

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
Hi Mike59, Welcome to the club/forum. I am sure you will have many years of fun with your RV, we have had ours for over 17years now and have had so many great trips and made priceless memories...it is by far the best thing we have done. Enjoy all the fun to be had. Cheers Ian & Meg

Gareth62

Subscriber
Hi and a great big welcome to the forum, from Paul and Debra. Ask away, any questions. Makes us feel good if we can answer them. :D

Ask anything it keeps us old farts happy

There a fair bit of backhanded banter but all in a good way

Last edited:

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Hi Mike59,

And welcome to the forum any questions how silly we have all been there.

P.s and me to been caravaning most of my life 39 years and now 12 years Rving.

car1966

Subscriber
Hi and welcome from us two in Lincolnshire we have a 5er so instead of towing a car we tow the 5er,
As said before any questions just ask someone will know the answer, and just enjoy when you can,

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Hi had ours for for ten years and done 320 trips according to our diary or ships log. Great peaceful campsite at upper hurst farm near Ashbourne privately owned lovely owners too . Ideal for a test run

mick e450

Subscriber
Hi Mike ,we new to using this club ,,and I hope this gets posted ..We too had tin being pulled ,but after trying out our newly owned rv we sold the hobby and now on our 2nd rv =marvellous ! Any help just ask ...

motor roamin

Subscriber
Hi Mike welcome to the nuthouse, ask any questions you may have as I say to our trainees no question is silly if you need to know the answer, someone will always know and have been there, me I know bugger all about bugger all but will always try to help.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Hi Mike welcome to the nuthouse, ask any questions you may have as I say to our trainees no question is silly if you need to know the answer, someone will always know and have been there, me I know bugger all about bugger all but will always try to help.
Okay Rick my turn for a silly question.

Been watching Trucking Hell

When they recover a truck they always pull the near side half shaft out but seem to leave the offside in, is this enough to stop the wheels turning the prop shaft?

Or do they remove both, and the film crew are just to lazy to film both being removed

I know from experience that if one wheel is slipping then chances are your not going anywhere as the diff is trying to put all its effort in to the slipping wheel

Unless it’s an LSD diff of course then it diverts power the the wheel that has the grip.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Think I’ve just answered my own question

Last edited:

motor roamin

Subscriber
Okay Rick my turn for a silly question.

Been watching Trucking Hell

When they recover a truck they always pull the near side half shaft out but seem to leave the offside in, is this enough to stop the wheels turning the prop shaft?

Or do they remove both, and the film crew are just to lazy to film both being removed

I know from experience that if one wheel is slipping then chances are your not going anywhere as the diff is trying to put all its effort in to the slipping wheel

Unless it’s an LSD diff of course then it diverts power the the wheel that has the grip.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Think I’ve just answered my own question
One half shaft is sufficient without a LSD or dif lock as no drive will be transmitted through the diff to the gearbox some will drop the propshaft instead of removing the half shaft.