HGV Licence -DVLA

Dodgit

Subscriber
Annual renewal forms arrived last week.

Doctor . . no surgery . . ‘shielding’ anyway.
Optician . . ditto.

On-line ‘chat’ to DVLA.
bot’ got confused - real person typed in.

here’s a bit of the really useful info . .
me . . ‘scuse the thumbpos

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 15.27.03.png

Gareth62

Subscriber
Still awaiting mine, one good bit of news the twins new driving licences arrived today just a week after sending off for them interesting but as expected they both have the same licence number (Made up from birth date) but for their initials, wonder what they would do if they had the same initials.

No idea where they get the issue number from (42) I've been driving 40 yrs and I'm only up to issue 10

poacher

Subscriber
......................................................... as expected they both have the same licence number (Made up from birth date) but for their initials, wonder what they would do if they had the same initials.
if the twins had the same initials - their driver numbers would be the same except for the final two letters - after the 9 that follows their initials
so eg: JONES9 407176 AB9XY
these are called the identifiers and are unique to each licence
(I seem to recall if all two letter combinations had been exhausted that the 9 changed to an 8 - but don't quote me on that, been a lot of years since I was regularly checking D/licences)

grumpy

Subscriber
Dear all,
I got my HGV renewal through last week, 2nd yearly as 66 in 2 weeks.
as Dodgit says, no point going to local GP, as can’t do and last year £140 not including eye test, which I had to pay Specsavers for, another £10, then 6 months hassle from DVLA, as I had a liver scan 7/8 years ago.
anyways, I was about to ring Rick as have heard of this firm and they have a depot right near me “d4drivers” who are advertising, including eye test, £55 all in.
any opinions please.
regards
Grumpy

Arthur

Subscriber
Yup I used them in 2019 - very straight forward was all done at a local Premier inn. Was even offered a free coffee whilst I waited to see the Doc.
Arthur.

Gareth62

Subscriber
I used them last time
But this time went to my GP then Specsavers as above and it’s caused me so much greave with DVLA some times I wish I’d never gone to the GP

motor roamin

Subscriber
Beware of some of these medicals, all medicals done by one company were not accepted by DVLA some time ago as they were not done correctly, also officially if you wear glasses they cant do the eye test it must be done by a qualified optician something these people ignore which could cause a problem with an insurance claim if a serious accident occurs, check your local training provider and ask questions, we have a local GP come to us to do medicals slightly more expensive £70.00 but we know he is properly qualified (some are not) he wont do eye tests if you can't pass it without glasses as since the rule change (about 4 years ago) he can't, it can be a nightmare as GP's can charge anything they like, if you have any medical condition the DVLA may pick up on then your own GP may be the best route though having said that they may be like my own GP who I have never seen just get thrown at anyone in the practice which means he doesn't know mw at all. Good luck if you need to call me for info you have my number feel free if I can help I will, but as I say beware these so called doctors doing medicals are cropping up everywhere and jumping on a bandwagon many are not even insured.

onan

Subscriber
My understanding is a doctor can still undertake the eye test.

Taken from the latest Government Form INF4D

Who can complete the D4?
The medical examination includes a vision assessment which must be completed by a doctor, optician or optometrist. Some doctors will be able to complete both the vision and medical assessment. If your doctor is unable to fully answer all the questions on the vision assessment you must have it filled in by an optician or optometrist. Please note that the doctor must be GMC registered and licensed to practice in the United Kingdom or registered within the EU.

grumpy

Subscriber
Many thanks for the replies and advice.
Fortunately I don’t wear glasses( well only for reading, so d4driver will do simple wall chart test which is apparently acceptable by DVLA.
Doctors surgeries can and mine did do eye tests, but ours stopped as they weren’t being paid enough !
I have heard of this firm for quite a while now and they do have a couple of their own offices luckily one near me or as said they book a premier inn( probably not at present though.
A few good reports and no disasters.
And as I have to do every year now( have HGV class1 and just don’t want to let it go, you just never no, could win the bonds and another rv is never far away ! I think for £50 I’ll give it a go, if it goes tits up, we’ll all know for next time.
I’ll report back as and when.
Grumpy

motor roamin

Subscriber
My understanding is a doctor can still undertake the eye test.

Taken from the latest Government Form INF4D

Who can complete the D4?
The medical examination includes a vision assessment which must be completed by a doctor, optician or optometrist. Some doctors will be able to complete both the vision and medical assessment. If your doctor is unable to fully answer all the questions on the vision assessment you must have it filled in by an optician or optometrist. Please note that the doctor must be GMC registered and licensed to practice in the United Kingdom or registered within the EU.
If you wear glasses to drive the doctor (unless an optician) is no longer qualified to fill in the eyesight part of the D4 according to our doctor. Though I am aware some do which could be a concern, I am aware that the doctor must be registered and licensed by the GMC, unfortunately it has been proved that some of the doctors used by some of these HGV medical companies are not, of course this is not all of them hence I said beware rather than don't use them as they can't all be bad. if any one wants to Pm me I can tell them one I know is bad and are still trading despite being shut down once and being investigated for fraud, plus their medicals have been rejected by the DVLA.

grumpy

Subscriber
Afters all,
Well just to continue, I rang D4Driver Monday morning, spoke to a very reliable and informed sounding lady, who answered all the right questions before I got time to ask them.
Talked me through a check list very thoroughly.
And booked me in for medical today at 11.30.
Payed me £55 all inclusive.
Immediately got 2 emails explaining all about the medical today and duplicating our conversation.
Today, holiday inn, 20 minutes from home, arrived a tad early, 1 person being done, I was in bang on time, Doctor was very pleasant, chatty but thorough.
All done copies of forms taken and in the post to DVLA, where I hope I won’t have the problems like last year.
I’ll let you know what’s happens next !!!
So all in all my experience with D4 Driver was excellent and would recommend.
Regards
Grumpy