Help with Woodburner Glass

Dundiving

Subscriber
I got a new glass for one of my wood burners earlier this year from the place where we bought it & only cost me tenner..! I'm just glad I was at work & didn't see this thread until now, cos it's given me a good laugh..!! :giggle:
Glad I have made at least one somebody happy (apart from neighbor and ex wife)

Dundiving

Subscriber
The last few days have been spent doing various courses for work stuff, lots of health & safety stuff, risk assessments, method statements etc etc. You think "how does anyone get into these situations?"
Fortunately the Health and safety act only applies to work places.
BTW, I thought that the 2 benches reference was from Monty Python "Arthur 2 sheds Jackson"
Of course it Was....I forgot the greatest of them all....Let's put it down to the rolling pin episode, shall we'.....
I was 'mini-cabbing' at the time, (using the biggest British Ford available..the Zephyr V6 (mpg 20 on a good day)...'New' Thread anybody?

Dundiving

Subscriber
Update:.....No-Bench-Bob' log, Stardate Nov 2019...Layby somewhere on the A390...
As I sit Cold & alone in the Layby (except for my good friend and savior 'Camilla' I pass the time by watching the near freezing condensation form on the bedroom window...when it builds up to a certain level, just one drip will start it' frantic race towards the bottom of the window, and then onto the RAG on the floor that I call a carpet, sometimes when a particularly large HGV passes nearby, numerous droplets start the journey, making it difficult to see which one has won the race......(I am getting Very good at guessing just how many wheels the HGV has by the number of droplet's that move at the same time) .When I look out of the Now almost clear window, I can see Loads of rubbish and wood in the hedge of the layby...'Hmmm'..Burnable ? (That's the rubbish, , NOT the Hedge)......Now.. if i were to 'obtain' a small wood burner....maybe a visit to the 'skip' near Helston is needed...hope it's the same Nightwatchman..
Now,...Going back to the first line of this sad Thread (Tis for me, you might think it is funny to mock the afflicted/divorced/and still hairless) " help wanted with Woodburner" (forget the bloomin 'Glass' bit!)
Can-I -Build-a-New-Bench- from-the -scrap-wood Bob
Unknown Layby, A390, God' Country

sundowner

Subscriber
Sorry------- what a great thread!!!!!!!
With your DIY skills we could do with you on our land in Portugal to help with general building and land work------ I will take care of the woodstove---- even though it has a clean glass door!!!!

Djstew

Subscriber
When the glass on my wood burner goes black I give it the equivalent of an Italian service. I light a fire and get it as hot as possible. Really roaring. Any old wood goes on there . Chipboard burns really hot. And that glue strand stuff. Failing that I’ve got an old telegraph pole chopped up that’s been dipped in creosote. That sounds like a jet engine in the wood burner. After 20 minutes glass isn’t black anymore coz all carbon burnt off. Just like Italian service!

dave

Dundiving

Subscriber
Angle grinder and then a new glass :nerd:

Sorry can't help.
Sat Upright about 02:30 (ish)...suddenly remembered...I have 'Professional Polisher' in the old caravan used for unused stuff...Looks just like an Angle Grinder....But only spins at about350 rpm Might try some of the 'Valve grinding past that should also be buried in the old caravan....Thanks for the Tip

Dgrbruv

Subscriber
Hi, try this
HG (kitchen) oven,grill & barbecue cleaner from B&Q that's what I use on our glass on the log burner. It works well.
Good luck

Last edited:

Dundiving

Subscriber
Sorry------- what a great thread!!!!!!!
With your DIY skills we could do with you on our land in Portugal to help with general building and land work------ I will take care of the woodstove---- even though it has a clean glass door!!!!
Thanks...Do you REALLY Want a 'Frank-Spencer' Type of Handyman?

sundowner

Subscriber
You would make every day a riot!!!!!!don't know if we could stop laughing long enough to have our daily quota of red wine and coffee----+ we could leave you on the land while we went to local cafe to rest our sides and sup necessary beverages???!!!!!!
I didn't see coke on your cleaning materials list??????seems to clean everything else???
PS
Just saw your signature on your posts-------- I also went to sea at 17--- don't know what I was looking for---- but it took me till I was 70 to find it-----an absolutely fantastic place to while away the rest of my time!!!!!!
( I was in the Norwegian merchant navy) -------- same as flat pack chicken, but don't see him here now!!!

Last edited:

Dundiving

Subscriber
You would make every day a riot!!!!!!don't know if we could stop laughing long enough to have our daily quota of red wine and coffee----+ we could leave you on the land while we went to local cafe to rest our sides and sup necessary beverages???!!!!!!
I didn't see coke on your cleaning materials list??????seems to clean everything else???
PS
Just saw your signature on your posts-------- I also went to sea at 17--- don't know what I was looking for---- but it took me till I was 70 to find it-----an absolutely fantastic place to while away the rest of my time!!!!!!
( I was in the Norwegian merchant navy) -------- same as flat pack chicken, but don't see him here now!!!
Hi,..Thanks for the 'Hot' Tip....can I be Really 'Cryptic' (ref: 'coke/merch-navy/discharge book) ..and I have Never Tried the'Real' Thing ! (and say that I was also in the 'Noggy Merch Navy, MV 'Nordia' KG5 to Chicargo...1965 ish ...will dig out my old Discharge book.
Sounds like you have found your 'Gods Little acre...I would just Love to come and be left-on-the-Land"....Daylight hours Only ?...I could pretend I was a 'Sun-Dial' !
Have been looking on 't' internet ...Plymouth-Santander,.....My Trek is going to cost £800 +/-....still cheaper though, than Ply-Roscoff and then the extra hundreds of miles at 18mpg? For years I have wanted to actually walk around Portugal, rather than the 'Usual Sailors Dockside View' ...Maybe tomorrow I will make an effort to give my remaining Brain cell a nudge and share a few 'Salty' Tales,... and my Shark/Oxygen tank/ knife stories ( I was also a commercial/Professional Diver 1972 -2000, when I finally Hung up My Fins !)...also try to crack your ref to "flat pack chicken, but don't see him here now!!!"
Bit shattered at the moment, spent the whole day trying my 'hand' at making 5 Large 'Hand-Raised' pork pies....looked perfect in shape and colour....into a 180c fan oven.....20 mins later, checked on them...all sagged ! Doh !.....Pork-Pancakes anybody?
Got my Eyes on a Welders HD Bench......3 bench Bob ?

Dundiving

Subscriber
Hi,..Thanks for the 'Hot' Tip....can I be Really 'Cryptic' (ref: 'coke/merch-navy/discharge book) ..and I have Never Tried the'Real' Thing ! (and say that I was also in the 'Noggy Merch Navy, MV 'Nordia' KG5 to Chicargo...1965 ish ...will dig out my old Discharge book.
Sounds like you have found your 'Gods Little acre...I would just Love to come and be left-on-the-Land"....Daylight hours Only ?...I could pretend I was a 'Sun-Dial' !
Have been looking on 't' internet ...Plymouth-Santander,.....My Trek is going to cost £800 +/-....still cheaper though, than Ply-Roscoff and then the extra hundreds of miles at 18mpg? For years I have wanted to actually walk around Portugal, rather than the 'Usual Sailors Dockside View' ...Maybe tomorrow I will make an effort to give my remaining Brain cell a nudge and share a few 'Salty' Tales,... and my Shark/Oxygen tank/ knife stories ( I was also a commercial/Professional Diver 1972 -2000, when I finally Hung up My Fins !)...also try to crack your ref to "flat pack chicken, but don't see him here now!!!"
Bit shattered at the moment, spent the whole day trying my 'hand' at making 5 Large 'Hand-Raised' pork pies....looked perfect in shape and colour....into a 180c fan oven.....20 mins later, checked on them...all sagged ! Doh !.....Pork-Pancakes anybody?
Got my Eyes on a Welders HD Bench......3 bench Bob ?