Help with Woodburner Glass

Dundiving

Subscriber
Hi Everybody,...I know this request is not normally within the ARV Community, but going by my previous 'Requests for info', varying from 'windscreen chips'... to 'How many Batteries can the Alternator Safely Charge'..to 'Torquing Wheel Nuts, and Lots in between those subjects, And, I am constantly Amazed that there is Always Somebody who has 'Intimate' Knowledge of my'Request'!....
So...Here We Go,...(sorry it is a bit 'Long-Winded')...
I have bought one of those 'Multi-fuel Log Burners (quite cheap!) and the Glass is almost completely blackened on the lower section and the upper corners. It is Like 'Black-Paint' but is most likely burnt on 'Tar' caused by burning damp/wet wood & Coals.
Below is a Comprehensive List of the Various Products/Chemicals/Glups that I have tried on the Glass. I Took the doors off and laid them flat on my workbench (outside one for fume avoidance....I have also an Indoor one...So,... you can call me '2 Bench Bob' if you want)..(Ref: the... 2 Jags Politician whose name I cannot recall at the moment)..Sorry I am Wandering again (happens often at my age)...So...To The 'List' of tried glups
In Order of 'Appearance/Strength'
Water, wet ash, Vinegar, Propriety Glass Cleaner, Propriety Wood stove Glass Cleaner, HP Sauce (Yes! it Cleans Brass/Bronze Bells to perfection)Bi-Carb of Soda, White Spirit, Meths, AutoGlyn Extreme Tar Remover, Vanish Stain rem Powder & Liquid,...
From Here on I am getting Desperate and may I say a little 'Adventurous'....
WD40 !!....Silicon sealant remover, Paint Stripper, Rust Remover (Liquid & Gel)..PVCU Solvent,..Polyurene Solvent...Drain Cleaning Fluid & Granules,...Thick (like me) Bleach,...Toothpaste...Vim (yes, I found an old Cardboard Tub of it at the Very back of the ''Drawer-of-all-things-known-to-man)....
Most of the above, but with 2000/1200/then 240 grade Emery Cloths...Then with Caution ....'Brick/Patio Cleaner' Which contains 5% Hydrochloric acid ! Doesn't state what the 'other' 95% is ! )...And Finally (Tad-Dah),...Putting all the Powders on the glass together, and then pouring most of the Liquids onto the powders, Resulting in a Glorious, Multicolored Foaming Display !End Result ??...Absolutely NO Difference (except for the surrounding frame being now nice and Shiny)
So, If you have been brave enough and bored enough to read this Plea for help...Maybe, Just Maybe, You can share your Highly 'Secret' Recipe with Me !
Regards
2 Benches Bob....(Just remembered it is '2 Jags Prescott !)
Darkest Cornwall

Dundiving

Subscriber
Doh.....Just had a suggestion of trying 'neat' ( is there any other type) Petrol......Absolute Zilch Difference...Except that Now I have to wait several Hours before re-fitting the glass door and Lighting the fire ( mostly due to the Asbestos? rope now being saturated with Highly Flammable Fluid residue !!!!) Just Not My Day....Except,.that I have just noticed while hanging my head downwards in defeat,....that my normally 'Impossible-to-clean-Fingernails, are now Spotless !
Regards
2 bench Bob now with Clean Fingernails !
Darkest, and now 'Mizzly' (that's mist/drizzle to all of you East of the Tamar) Cornwall

paul&debra

Subscriber
If it one sheet of glass, measure the thickness. I would guess 5 to 6mm. Dont go to a stove shop (robbing ba*$#rds) find a decent size Glass shop and ask for a price for the size you want in Ceramic Glass. If its little strips then ask for borasilicate.

Dundiving

Subscriber
Couldn't find a 'propper' razor blade,...but i did find (on my 'indoor-bench') one of those yellow box thingies that hold the 'scraper' type blades that clips into a holder that look slike a big shaving razor.....Couldnt find said holder, so i tried just holding the blade by hand,......it seems like the black stain, is just that ...a black stain with No discernable surface thay you can feel with the blade (yes i have checked that i am working on the 'correct' side of the glass)...so slippery was the surface (probably from the petrol/glups that the blade slid faster acros the glass than i was expecting, edge of the blade caught the corner of the glass door frame, flipped 180, and the end result was at Lacerated finger tip !...rushed indoors (no first-aid box on either of my benches) to find plaster for now bleeding Profusely Pinky ...Have you ever tried opening a box of plasters and removing the puzzling, plaster backing with a now, throbbing, and still bleeding Finger ?...'I' now Know !.... Back to said glass door....Now covered in blood/Petrol/Glup...Now thinking... 'If I put more of the Multicoloured Foam inducing Chemicals on the Blood/Petrol/Glup Mix....Will it a: produce a much more coloured disply (maybe more towards the 'Red' Spectrum)? b: can I light it ( on bench no 1) and get rid of the Blod/Petrol/glup/Chemicals Mix ?

Dundiving

Subscriber
Just tried 'Lighting the afore mentioned bubbling Blood/Petrol/Glup/Chemicals/extre petrol mixture....Now need a new set of eyebrows/lashes (the only hair on my head...thankfully for once)...

Dundiving

Subscriber
Just put soothing gel where my eyelashes used to be......and gone to look at said fire doors...well now only one of them has the original black stain...the other has a sort of 'burnt/carbonised chewing-gum type mixture firmly bonded to the glass....Now just where did I put that Stanley (without it's Protective holder) Blade

Dundiving

Subscriber
Now on my way back to bench number 1: Lots of Black Smoke.....Looks like petrol soaked 'rag' i used to clean the glass with....is of course , you have guessed it ,...Blazing Furiously
maybe, New glass was the to go !
1 1/2 bench bob
now-on-my way to truro hosp, with a burnt and bleeding finger !

Dundiving

Subscriber
Just come home with one of those 'Gigantic finger bandages,...while passing the Fire doors noticed that...both have broken Glass....Apparently, my next door neighbor saw everything,and after he got over his hiccup-inducing laughter Fit...he came over and used the first thing he saw to put out the blazing rag....The Bloody Doors
Going to bed now

Last edited:

Dundiving

Subscriber
DOH,...Just looked 'online'...Glass for my stove is 'no longer available'...anybody want a 'free' stove (without glass)...should be OK if you lay an asbestos fire mat on the floor in front of it !
cant be bothered to 'sign-off'

Dundiving

Subscriber
If it one sheet of glass, measure the thickness. I would guess 5 to 6mm. Dont go to a stove shop (robbing ba*$#rds) find a decent size Glass shop and ask for a price for the size you want in Ceramic Glass. If its little strips then ask for borasilicate.
Thanks for that,...just noticed your most helpful advice,...unfortunately, wife has now taken stove to dump as in her words...Before I burn the house Down !

stunette

Subscriber
I got a new glass for one of my wood burners earlier this year from the place where we bought it & only cost me tenner..! I'm just glad I was at work & didn't see this thread until now, cos it's given me a good laugh..!! :giggle:

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
The last few days have been spent doing various courses for work stuff, lots of health & safety stuff, risk assessments, method statements etc etc. You think "how does anyone get into these situations?"
Fortunately the Health and safety act only applies to work places.
BTW, I thought that the 2 benches reference was from Monty Python "Arthur 2 sheds Jackson"

Dundiving

Subscriber
This is Really, Really the 'Final' Comment on this 'Comedy of Errors'...Mostly because it is very difficult typing with the one remaining'good' finger and also because now I have only 'Camilla' to live in since wife started divorce proceedings, I cannot afford to heat the 29ft long, 'almost' restored RV interior, which is resulting in the said remaining finger getting blue with cold...
The only comfort I now have, is that each time I pass the Long GLASS mirror, the reflection I see, reminds me of my favorite comedy Actor 'Kenny Everett'....and his most famous sketch that he did that matches the reflection that I see in the GLASS Mirror, was of his 'Reg Prescott DIY Handyman ! (please google him)
My poor bandage hand looks just like his when he cut off his fingers while sawing....His bandaged head looks just like mine, (Parting Gift ,from my now 'ex wife/rolling pin')...and my bandaged knee (falling down the stairs after rolling pin exercise) is true to his 'DIY Sketches.
Also check out the Poem 'For the Want of a Nail' !
Can Anybody advise me on 'Free parking' for a 1992 Safari Trek in the Cornwall Area?