Help needed with resturation

B

badassa

Hi I have a C class Ford Eccoline with a Passport by Cobra Conversion. Which at worst will need a new timber frame at best a new wood for the over cab and back end. has anyone reading this done it before, is anyone up for the task, I'm going to restore this motorhome, Having help would make things easyer. We can discuss costs and expensese. Looking at starting it in march.

B

badassa

hmmm

Better get a good French Phrase book for the harder jobs lol

motor roamin

Subscriber
Hi I have a C class Ford Eccoline with a Passport by Cobra Conversion. Which at worst will need a new timber frame at best a new wood for the over cab and back end. has anyone reading this done it before, is anyone up for the task, I'm going to restore this motorhome, Having help would make things easyer. We can discuss costs and expensese. Looking at starting it in march.
I used to restore vintage and classic cars for a living and sometimes still do it as a hobby if some thing takes my fancy, one thing I have learnt over the past 40 years if it looks bad take it to bits because it's a dam site worse.

Good luck I wish you all the best with your restoration.

Feel free to pm me with pictures for any advice needed if I can help I will but sorry far too busy running my business and playing with my RV too help.

Rick.

S

sloberdoberbob

I hope you dd not pay to much for it

Unless you enjoy pain... Because by the sound of it that is what it is going to be to the wallet. Also many hours of work, which may be what you enjoy. But I fear you will find this very hard work and in the end the cost may out weight the end value.

While the wooden frame can be replaced, and the internal finish, you have to question how far do you take the vehicle down before it becomes a rebuild. I suspect this vehicle may have had it's day, but I wish you lots of luck in doing it.

Not something I would want to do. For me and many it is about getting out in our RV's and enjoying them... Work on them is a by product we have to do to enjoy them. I doubt any would want to fore go the use to have it in bits for however long the work may take.

But good luck.. I think you are going to need it.

Bob:crying:

G

Grizzly Adams

hi, if its got fiberglass bodywork (very thin sheet of fibergass on a sheet of ply wood) i wouldnt bother as the expense is too great (been there done that)...however if its got the corrigated metal sides..go for it..just remember to take lots of photos to rember how it goes back together( and i mean if you took 10..take another 10 just to make sure) if you need any advise please ask..ive done a few nose cones now they seem to be the first to rot out . one piece of advice is not to use the rubber roof the americans fit...change it to marine exterior vinyl...cheaper and lasts longer easier to do and you can use better sealants on it....good luck

rvfulltimer

roof repairs

Hi Grizzly can you tell me where i can buy the marine vinyl for the roof ,thinking about replacing the rubber as its getting a bit thin and have a soft patch near the air con unit but no leaks as yet thanks

G

Grizzly Adams

hi, marine vinyl i get is from a company called Boyriven 01264 771414 they are in Andover.
one downside to using marine vinyl is it only comes in rolls around 6ft wide...so you do 2 runs over lapping in the middle about 1ft and use an aluminium strip on the join...use contact glue to stick it to the roof (screwfix cheapest)...and tiger seal to seal down all the roof fixings.
make sure you do this under cover as you are guarenteed to find damp patches underneath the old rubber roof (it sweats)and it will take a couple of days to dry out...any rotten roof sheets need replacing (and if you got rotten sheets you will have rotten frame if its wood framed)
the first one i did 7 years ago still does not leak..it lives under trees in a field..and i did the run across the body...about 9 runs (inexperience)..i just go round once a year and jet wash the roof off...check it...last year i had to replace a roof vent and it was the first time sealant had been used since it was done.
dont forget some crawling boards
make sure you take the inside cover of the all the roof furniture off as some of it is bolted from the inside...dont loose the aeriel leads...keep the fridge vent clear (vacumm it out) from above.

its gonna take a week.. take loads of photos before you start...and at each stage of removal......
ive done 12 roofs now....and when i finish this contract ( i work away a lot) ive got a nose cone to finish then i can get on with the inside of the 5er we are on now..
hope it helps

rvfulltimer

Thanks for the info hope to start the job this summer if we get one ,looking for somewhere under cover to do the job so will keep you informed cheers.

J

joe

help

hi im not great at anything in particular but reasonable at lots of things ie welding, woodwork(slow) mechanics if i am as unemployed then as i am now we can arrange at very reasonable rates good luck joe ps if i could upload pics you could see how bad mine was