Help needed, and advice!

Hello everyone. Sorry, i am new to this forum, i have just learned of it, and i also just found great need of it.

To give a quick summary - I own a 10meter Copper Canyon 5th wheel trailer, and i own a Ford F350 7.2 powerstroke from 2001 to pull the camper with.
Currently, the truck is out of the picture, as it has broken down, so essentially i need to find some help moving the Copper Canyon. Full story is below, to explain.
I should also mention that i am new to the arts of 5th wheel campers. While i have lived nomadically for many years, this format is Very different to me :)
Oh, important note - This is all near Barcelona, just north of Mataro.

So the story goes -
I went to the UK to collect a new and stronger truck (Used to have a Silverado 1500), brought it back to Spain and was then supposed to move our camper to a workshop to get some things done on it. And of course, as things would have it, my new-bought truck broke down. Part of the gear-box decided to give way and there is no chance of it moving itself, let alone a giant camper. This happened mainly because the truck is used and has been through a lot, and as my UK mechanic so nicely put it "That was really the only part of it that we did Not give a complete makeover".........so lucky me.
In itself, that is not so bad, it can be repaired, but the really bad part is the fact that the camper is now standing right in front of a restaurants entry and driveway, blocking everything for everyone. The owner is overbearing at the moment, but it will become a problem Very soon, an the truck will not be fixed for a week or 10 days.

So, i am turning to you for advice - What is normally done if a 5th wheel camper needs to be moved, without the car?
Is there a way to get it on a flat-bed truck?
Can it be towed by a semi so it is out of the way?
Do you know of any European companies that does work like this?

Or better yet - Does anyone know Anybody near Barcelona who can be paid to assist us with a truck that has a 5th wheel mount? I will of course pay for the help, this is not a small matter to me.

There are two places it can be towed to - A field, 100 meters down the road. This is my back-up, if it needs to be done with a farm tractor or some other imaginative solution. Or to a secure carpark a bit west of Barcelona (which would be the optimal really).

Basically - I am in one heck of a pickle, and i really need some help. Hope someone has wisdom to share.

Kindest regards
Peter Madsen

MikeyRV

Subscriber
There is a company called Monster moovers, they are in Alicante somewhere, check out there website. They move and store big units and 5 th wheelers.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
As above, the 5th wheel pin is a standard size so any hgv tractor unit can move it, Monster Moves should be able to help if not. You've bought this right truck, they are normally indestructible, although if it's been modified/chipped, the transmission does become the weak link. Check out Brian Truck Shop or John Woods for a new transmission, both companies make what is probably the best remanufactured transmission available for this vehicle. The next best is a new HD4R100 from Ford, all these transmissions have uprated parts & are designed for heavy towing.

Amazing, thank you for the advice.
If using an HGV tractor, what happens with the following -
Pin size? Do they run on 2 inch as well?
Electricity? They run brakes very different from the 7 pins, is there a way to bypass this issue, if you know @simsy56 ?

tacr2man

Subscriber
The only problem you could have with HGV tractor unit , is one of clearance , esp rear of unit to trailer legs, body. Pin height could affect ground clearance at rear of trailer , but unlikely . The brake thing is a non event , as hgv will be air , your trailer is very unlikely to be same . but hgv brakes are plenty powerful enough to stop whole rig , esp if only moving a short distance , legality is another matter , but same caveat applies. The electrics are also unlikely to be compatible , as hgv =24v trailer prob 12v But get car to follow very close to provide signalling to other traffic . In the end its your decision , as to what advice you follow :) HGV pin normal 2" or 3.5 for heavy haulage

simsy56

Subscriber
The king pin will be the same size, and as for brakes the tractor unit will be man enough to stop it. For a short distance, it shouldn't be a problem.

Craig

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Ditto, apart from the voltage, it's more than likely that the connections will be different or if the same connection it may not be wired the same. Height shouldn't be a problem as most trucks & trailers are designed to work with the table at close to 4ft, the rear overhang should also be fine as a couple of the UK dealers use a normal hgv unit to deliver to Europe. Don't worry about the brakes if you're only moving it a short distance, even long distance would not be an issue (apart from the legal implications) if you need lights, get an hgv trailer board.

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Now you know you’ve asked questions on the correct club forum and got great answers. It will be the best tenner you will ever spend if you join. Coz RVs rock and so the people in this club. The knowledge base is second to none(y)

car1966

Subscriber
Monster moovers has a web site i have is e/mail address somewhere i have a look and gey back to you

car1966

Subscriber
Just type in monster movers in spain in will come up with web address. Alicante is is based.
And welcomed to the club

Hello again everyone.

I got hold of Andy from Monster Moovers, and the man went above and beyond for us. In no time he had our trailer moved to a safe location, even though he had to make the trip from Alicante.

Thank you all for good advice and help. I am definitely a happy member of this forum :)

/Peter

paul&debra

Subscriber
Hello again everyone.

I got hold of Andy from Monster Moovers, and the man went above and beyond for us. In no time he had our trailer moved to a safe location, even though he had to make the trip from Alicante.

Thank you all for good advice and help. I am definitely a happy member of this forum :)

/Peter
Fantastic news, if you click on your name on the blue bar at the top of the page, then click account upgrade. You can pay your £10 and become a subscriber. I think you are limited on the amount of posts and what you can see if only a member.:D:D Welcome to the club again from us.